Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 12:15 PM

2,709 posts, read 1,039,932 times

Advertisements

floridasandywrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber:
Quote:
I'm kind of glad I won't have to sell my house and 401K if I get sick.
if it passes, you still can't use it until 2014 so enjoy paying premiums until then with no coverage. that is YOUR congress looking out for you!

for all those who thought this congress would be looking out for them, this is your wake up call!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2009, 12:15 PM

4,829 posts, read 6,930,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
it looks like the mandatory health insurance tax is going to be a reality for americans, with no possible benefits until after 2014.

THROW THE BUMS OUT
Hopefully MoveOn.org will be successful in killing it. If not I guess we just have to live with the Democrats mess, forever?

Old 12-19-2009, 12:30 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
if it passes, you still can't use it until 2014 so enjoy paying premiums until then with no coverage. that is YOUR congress looking out for you!!
Yea, that's cool. It's only four years.

PS I have coverage, but with caps.

Old 12-19-2009, 12:47 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,448,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Yea, that's cool. It's only four years.

PS I have coverage, but with caps.
Unless they've changed it yet again, or unless the final bill that comes out of conference is very different, there are several things that start fairly quickly.

What happens before 2014?

A lot of people have been asking what the Senate bill does immediately. To put it another way, in 2010 and 2012, when Republicans are saying that reform has done nothing despite the fact that it hasn't yet gone into effect, what will Democrats be able to brag about? Here's the list:

1) Eliminating lifetime limits, and cap annual limits, on health-care benefits. In other words, if you get an aggressive cancer and your treatment costs an extraordinary amount, your insurer can't suddenly remind you that subparagraph 15 limited your yearly expenses to $30,000, and they're not responsible for anything above that.
2) No more rescissions.
3) Some interim help for people who have preexisting conditions, though the bill does not instantly ban discrimination on preexisting conditions.
4) Requiring insurers to cover preventive care and immunizations.
5) Allowing young adults to stay on their parent's insurance plan until age 26.
6) Developing uniform coverage documents so people can compare different insurance policies in an apples-to-apples fashion.
7) Forcing insurers to spend 80 percent of all premium dollars on medical care (75 percent in the individual market), thus capping the money that can go toward administration, profits, etc.
8) Creating an appeals process and consumer advocate for insurance customers.
9) Developing a temporary re-insurance program to help early retirees (folks over 55) afford coverage.
10) Creating an internet portal to help people shop for and compare coverage.
11) Miscellaneous administrative simplification stuff.
12) Banning discrimination based on salary (i.e., where a company that's not self-insured makes only some full-time workers eligible for coverage).

Old 12-19-2009, 12:52 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
Unless they've changed it yet again, or unless the final bill that comes out of conference is very different, there are several things that start fairly quickly.

What happens before 2014?
A lot of people have been asking what the Senate bill does immediately. To put it another way, in 2010 and 2012, when Republicans are saying that reform has done nothing despite the fact that it hasn't yet gone into effect, what will Democrats be able to brag about? Here's the list:

1) Eliminating lifetime limits, and cap annual limits, on health-care benefits. In other words, if you get an aggressive cancer and your treatment costs an extraordinary amount, your insurer can't suddenly remind you that subparagraph 15 limited your yearly expenses to $30,000, and they're not responsible for anything above that.
2) No more rescissions.
3) Some interim help for people who have preexisting conditions, though the bill does not instantly ban discrimination on preexisting conditions.
4) Requiring insurers to cover preventive care and immunizations.
5) Allowing young adults to stay on their parent's insurance plan until age 26.
6) Developing uniform coverage documents so people can compare different insurance policies in an apples-to-apples fashion.
7) Forcing insurers to spend 80 percent of all premium dollars on medical care (75 percent in the individual market), thus capping the money that can go toward administration, profits, etc.
8) Creating an appeals process and consumer advocate for insurance customers.
9) Developing a temporary re-insurance program to help early retirees (folks over 55) afford coverage.
10) Creating an internet portal to help people shop for and compare coverage.
11) Miscellaneous administrative simplification stuff.
12) Banning discrimination based on salary (i.e., where a company that's not self-insured makes only some full-time workers eligible for coverage).
Not too bad, not too bad. Republicans have supported and suggested these very same things in the past, but only now they feel compelled to oppose them.

Old 12-19-2009, 12:52 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
This idiot just ignored his state......Nebraska is set against this bill.
You know this how? There is not a peep about this on the Omaha or Nebraska forums.

Old 12-19-2009, 12:55 PM

6,804 posts, read 9,354,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artisan10 View Post
I'm hoping the CBO report will stop this disaster.
Yeah, good point. I haven't seen anything from the CBO yet. And if the estimates are too high, I wonder what some of the senators who are (pretend to be? apparently are concerned?) concerned about cost will do.

I'm disappointed with my Colorado senators. I mean, if we're going to have this disaster forced upon us, the least they could do is pretend to want to vote 'no' so that they can then be bribed so that Colorado can get some goodies like Nebraska and Louisiana!

Old 12-19-2009, 12:55 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,527,281 times
Something for the extremists in this thread: Choosing blood pressure medications - MayoClinic.com

Hopefully, your insurance covers it.

Old 12-19-2009, 01:14 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,448,256 times
I think this is the latest from the CBO:
Congressional budget analysts said the revised package, unveiled Saturday morning by Reid, would spend $871 billion over the next decade to extend coverage to more than 30 million Americans by dramatically expanding Medicaid and offering federal subsidies to those who lack affordable coverage through employers.

Those costs would be more than covered by nearly $400 billion over the next decade in new taxes and nearly $500 billion spending reductions, primarily cuts to Medicare, the federal health program for people over 65. The remainder, about $132 billion over 10 years, would go to lowering the federal deficit.

But the Congressional Budget Office found that the package could reduce budget deficits by as much as $1.3 trillion in the second decade, starting in 2019, a significant improvement in long-run savings compared with both the House bill and the measure Reid had previously crafted. In his blog, CBO director Douglas Elmendorf attributes the change to lower targets for Medicare spending after 2019.

Source

Old 12-19-2009, 01:20 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,747,810 times
Quote:
it looks like the mandatory health insurance tax is going to be a reality for americans, with no possible benefits until after 2014.

THROW THE BUMS OUT
It will be a real test of ideologies for sure, especially the left of center. Just wait till they get their premiums. 4 years we pay and I will be willing to bet that the money at the end of the 4 years will vanish into someone's election treasure chest for his or her re-election. Or, it wont be enough and we have to raise even more money. So in the meantime, we get to pay for two premiums we can't afford, our Blue Cross/Blue Shield and then the other healthcare policy we won't see for 4 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies