Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: WOULD YOU SIGN A CONTRACT WITHOUT READING IT FIRST?
YES I WOULD 8 20.51%
NO...THAT'S STUPIDITY 31 79.49%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 03:26 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,540,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
I read everything before signing it. Yes, even the lengthy terms posted on websites. I don't necessarily read those word-for-word, but well enough to notice if there are any non-standard terms that I won't agree to. For instance, DirecTV is the only bill we still get paper billing for even though we have it set for auto-pay. That's because in their terms they make you agree that they can't be held responsible in any way if they send you a virus that infects your computer if you sign up for e-billing. Uhm, no, won't agree to that. The others don't have that language, so we're paperless with all other bills.

I drove the salesman crazy when we bought our motorcycle because I read that entire contract. Good thing I did, because I found three things that I refused to agree to, all of which they were willing to strike, and did strike before I signed it.

I got the city of Redondo Beach to change their standard release of liability form because it contained language that would have forbidden us from suing civilly if one of their police officers pointed a gun directly at our head and shot us to death (we were taking the "Citizen's Police Academy" course). I wouldn't sign it, gave it to the officer running the class and explained why. He, in turn, passed it along to his superior, who passed it on to the City Attorney who agreed that that language should be stricken, which it was. I was the only one in however many years of the city using that release for every employee, who read it closely enough to understand the implications and refused to sign it unless it was changed.

So, in short, I read everything before doing anything.

Now, I know where you're going with this. I do believe our legislators should read, to as much extent as possible, and understand bills before they vote on them. But I also understand that due to the nature of how bills are written and the unusual length of most of them, that they have staffers whose job it is to read them and bring attention to any concerns their Representative might have. I don't sign the contracts that come through my office, but I read every single one of them before giving them to my boss to sign off on, and I highlight any areas of concern that I find, or things I know he might have questions about or want to question. That's part of what staff is for, and that's what Congress does. We'd never get a single, solitary piece of legislation passed if it was any other way.

You are very wise in your business dealings. People not knowing what they were getting into was a big part of that mortgage crisis. No one held a gun to their heads to say "sign here". Who's fault is it really if you don't read the contract?

On your other point.........there is no excuse for our legislature to not know what they are doing to this country. The reasons those bills are they way they are is due to trickery not necessity. The amount of pages are the bushes created to hide the traps in the laws passed.

Simple language.....bullet points.....that would bring everything into the open. But they don't want that. We have a bunch of Lawyers up there using legalese to frustrate and confound the public they represent. If there are too many pages for them to read, then they should use fewer pages. Period.

If you as a private citizen hold yourself to this high a standard, when a mistake would only effect you, then these clowns (paid by you and me) should do the same, because their mistakes effect millions or people and dollars!

They are our employees! We pay their salaries. We can demand they read and understand the laws they pass! Either that or write shorter bills. If that's too much trouble, then we vote them out and get a new employee.

But my hat is off to you......O' wise one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2009, 03:30 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,258,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
JUST CURIOUS.............
I see that we have at least 2 possible Senators among the group who voted. My God who can do a thing like that? Well at least 2 here can.

Old 12-19-2009, 03:32 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,258,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
congress does it all the time, would you read 2000 pages of boring technical reading material.
If I wasn't given time to read one of those 2000 page bills as will be done sometime soon, if Harry Reid ever gets a copy of the final bill printed up, I could not vote Yes on it. Without time to read, and understand I could never vote Yes.

I see that you are ready to run for Senate.

Old 12-19-2009, 03:55 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,424,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
Yes...you do digress.

So.....is that a wise thing to do? You still didn't answer the question. Regardless of how long it takes. Do you take a risk on a contract without knowing what you're getting into?

I see at least 5 votes in the "NO" column. Are you a yes or no?
Which part of "yeah, it's wise" don't you understand.

And why would I check "no" if I admit that I "do it all the time"?

Old 12-19-2009, 03:58 PM

3,062 posts, read 7,031,788 times
I voted yes because I do it all the time. Maybe you should have specified which contracts.

Old 12-19-2009, 04:02 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,850,288 times
If they haven't read the bill, it's their own fault. The basic bill has been readily available for quite a while and the amendments I am quite sure are available to members to read. When they say they cannot read the bill and compromise amendments, they are lying(once again).

Old 12-19-2009, 04:02 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,389,830 times
I voted no. Only things I have signed without reading are terms of use agreements for software, which once you have read one are all pretty much the same save for the update notes. Everything else I read.

Old 12-19-2009, 04:05 PM

366 posts, read 297,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
I read everything before signing it. Yes, even the lengthy terms posted on websites. I don't necessarily read those word-for-word, but well enough to notice if there are any non-standard terms that I won't agree to. For instance, DirecTV is the only bill we still get paper billing for even though we have it set for auto-pay. That's because in their terms they make you agree that they can't be held responsible in any way if they send you a virus that infects your computer if you sign up for e-billing. Uhm, no, won't agree to that. The others don't have that language, so we're paperless with all other bills.

I drove the salesman crazy when we bought our motorcycle because I read that entire contract. Good thing I did, because I found three things that I refused to agree to, all of which they were willing to strike, and did strike before I signed it.

I got the city of Redondo Beach to change their standard release of liability form because it contained language that would have forbidden us from suing civilly if one of their police officers pointed a gun directly at our head and shot us to death (we were taking the "Citizen's Police Academy" course). I wouldn't sign it, gave it to the officer running the class and explained why. He, in turn, passed it along to his superior, who passed it on to the City Attorney who agreed that that language should be stricken, which it was. I was the only one in however many years of the city using that release for every employee, who read it closely enough to understand the implications and refused to sign it unless it was changed.

So, in short, I read everything before doing anything.

Now, I know where you're going with this. I do believe our legislators should read, to as much extent as possible, and understand bills before they vote on them. But I also understand that due to the nature of how bills are written and the unusual length of most of them, that they have staffers whose job it is to read them and bring attention to any concerns their Representative might have. I don't sign the contracts that come through my office, but I read every single one of them before giving them to my boss to sign off on, and I highlight any areas of concern that I find, or things I know he might have questions about or want to question. That's part of what staff is for, and that's what Congress does. We'd never get a single, solitary piece of legislation passed if it was any other way.
Good post. Too bad you don't hold our ELECTED OFFICIALS to the same standard as when you review things for your house, or boss. It appears you don't give a rat's ass about this country.

Old 12-19-2009, 04:52 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,292,121 times
Let's apply some common sense. It obviously depends on the contract. If we are talking about a contract to sign up for an internet forum then no, I'm not going to read the entire thing. If we are talking about a home loan, then you would be an idiot not to read the contract.

Old 12-19-2009, 05:59 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,540,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Let's apply some common sense. It obviously depends on the contract. If we are talking about a contract to sign up for an internet forum then no, I'm not going to read the entire thing. If we are talking about a home loan, then you would be an idiot not to read the contract.
I think we all know what this thread is getting at, by now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies