Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2009, 08:30 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,838,057 times

Advertisements

just want to know if someone say "i would rather hire people from my state or arean rather that you b/c you are from iowa" what part of the law would that fall under? or if some one says"i dont like your accent,sounds too new western". What about "your a little too big". i see no such words in affirmative action laws. Plus, being in this economy, i see and hear people would rather hire locals rather than someone fro 1000 miles away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2009, 08:36 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,887,316 times
Being discrimnatory is normal and not against the law. If it were illegal we would all be in jail. I discrimninated this morning over tortills or toast with my eggs. Don't sweat or feel guilty about the small stuff like employing locally. Now if you are basing it on race, color, creed, etc then that IS illegal. But from wht I read, you're just letting PC guilt run amuk. You should be buying/employing locally when the poosibility and ability present themselves.

Old 12-20-2009, 09:06 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,661,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
just want to know if someone say "i would rather hire people from my state or arean rather that you b/c you are from iowa" what part of the law would that fall under? or if some one says"i dont like your accent,sounds too new western". What about "your a little too big". i see no such words in affirmative action laws. Plus, being in this economy, i see and hear people would rather hire locals rather than someone fro 1000 miles away.
No HR person would ever put on an application any of the reasons you mentioned for not hiring somebody although they may be the actual reasons. HR is not required to give a reason for hiring or not hiring. Employers still have control over who they hire and why. To remedy the situation you would need thought police.

Old 12-20-2009, 09:39 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,279,876 times
The spelling errors in a single post would certainly reason not to hire someone.
I read resumes; I want to hire someone better/smarter than I am.
I discriminate that way.

Your resume is all someone knows of you.

Old 12-20-2009, 10:35 AM

3,007 posts, read 6,287,090 times
Quote:
Looking only at the law...

State? No. Accent? No. Size? Possibly.

S.

Old 12-20-2009, 10:41 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,838,057 times
on another note, why can't a 200 lb person join the military if they are in perfect health? If this country needs people to join the military, why not let healthy overweight and obese people join? why can't people believe that obese and overweight people can be just as healthy and fit as average sized people?

Old 12-20-2009, 10:46 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,661,538 times
Quote:
on another note, why can't a 200 lb person join the military if they are in perfect health? If this country needs people to join the military, why not let healthy overweight and obese people join? why can't people believe that obese and overweight people can be just as healthy and fit as average sized people?
As long as they pass the physical requirements, they can. Boot camp will shed those extra pounds. As long as you come out of training able to do the required physical exercises you're in.

Old 12-20-2009, 11:53 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,442,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
The spelling errors in a single post would certainly reason not to hire someone.
I read resumes; I want to hire someone better/smarter than I am.
I discriminate that way.

Your resume is all someone knows of you.

chielgirl. GOOD ANSWER!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies