Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 07:56 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,251,465 times

Advertisements

Check this link and see if it isn't about time for Congress to outlaw some of this crap. Too many people don't have enough fortitude to avoid these human killing concoctions so they just take part in their own death. Take it from one who took part in some of this stuff years ago and paid for it 5 years ago, nearly with the ultimate payment.

6 Worst Fast-Food Burgers (and What You Should Eat Instead!) on Yahoo! Health
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2009, 08:25 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,941,704 times
I don't need the government to tell me what I can and cannot eat. Just because some people cannot control their intake of unhealthy foods and fail to exercise, it should not ruin it for the rest of us who can.

Old 12-20-2009, 08:28 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,781,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Check this link and see if it isn't about time for Congress to outlaw some of this crap. Too many people don't have enough fortitude to avoid these human killing concoctions so they just take part in their own death. Take it from one who took part in some of this stuff years ago and paid for it 5 years ago, nearly with the ultimate payment.

I'm all for people having the freedom to eat this food and they should also be stuck with the big medical bill should one occur.

Old 12-20-2009, 08:28 PM

1,020 posts, read 2,753,837 times
Quote:

Wow, you social planners never quit do you? You're honestly saying that you weren't smart enough to realize that fast food is bad for you? I don't regularly eat fast food, mainly because I don't want to get fat, and I have a history of heart disease (and diabetes) in my family. Just because some people have a hard time making good decisions isn't reason enough to take away freedom from other people. In other words: Educate yourself into making smart decisions and mind your own business. It's not that hard.

Old 12-20-2009, 08:33 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,810,437 times
Government doesn't need to be your parents;epople need to thnik for themsleves.That is part of teh problem people becoming relient for too much on a parental government.

Old 12-20-2009, 09:08 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,251,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Widowmaker2k View Post
Wow, you social planners never quit do you? You're honestly saying that you weren't smart enough to realize that fast food is bad for you? I don't regularly eat fast food, mainly because I don't want to get fat, and I have a history of heart disease (and diabetes) in my family. Just because some people have a hard time making good decisions isn't reason enough to take away freedom from other people. In other words: Educate yourself into making smart decisions and mind your own business. It's not that hard.
I am saying that I turned up with very high cholesterol when I was in my early 40s. My mother had all kinds of cholesterol trouble and as soon as I got the problem I stopped eating so many eggs per week and never ate anything like the things pictured in that article. Cheeseburgers, yes but not those doubles and triples.

I was even on meds to hold down cholesterol but that didn't stop me plugging my heart arteries. Three were 85% and three 95% but the cholesterol was not so far over 100. The arteries didn't seem to think my attempts were worth while.

I am sorry that you people don't see what has caused most of the obesity in this nation. Well I missed that part of eating fast food although I never lived in a place where I could eat a lot of fast food.

I forgot that I am 77 now and think that between my knowledge and my wife's knowledge as a nutritionist I didn't have to learn a lot to keep from the problem but maybe you really do feel superior.

Old 12-20-2009, 11:22 PM

1,020 posts, read 2,753,837 times
Quote:
I am saying that I turned up with very high cholesterol when I was in my early 40s. My mother had all kinds of cholesterol trouble and as soon as I got the problem I stopped eating so many eggs per week and never ate anything like the things pictured in that article. Cheeseburgers, yes but not those doubles and triples.

I was even on meds to hold down cholesterol but that didn't stop me plugging my heart arteries. Three were 85% and three 95% but the cholesterol was not so far over 100. The arteries didn't seem to think my attempts were worth while.

I am sorry that you people don't see what has caused most of the obesity in this nation. Well I missed that part of eating fast food although I never lived in a place where I could eat a lot of fast food.

I forgot that I am 77 now and think that between my knowledge and my wife's knowledge as a nutritionist I didn't have to learn a lot to keep from the problem but maybe you really do feel superior.
It has nothing to do with feeling superior. I don't care if you, or anybody else, eats fast food. Hell, I know a lot of people that can just eat the stuff everyday, and because of their metabolism or whatever, don't gain a pound. Hell, I'm even a little jealous.

You have every right to endanger your health anyway you see fit. The only reason I got a little peeved is because you talked about congress getting involved and banning things, simply because they are unhealthy. I think that those decisions should be left to the individual, especially with something that is obviously harmful.

Old 12-20-2009, 11:38 PM

6,775 posts, read 9,327,743 times
Oh yes! Please! I need government to save me from myself!

Old 12-21-2009, 05:26 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,444,984 times
Y'all just keep your hands off my Five Guys cheeseburger!

I don't do any other fast food, but every once in a while, I get a Five Guys cheeseburger w/lettuce, tomatoes, and mushrooms, and of course a "small" order of fries. Mmm, mmm, good! If my body can't handle one bad-for-me meal every 4-6 weeks, that's just too darned bad.

Now, it's time for my Cheerios.

Old 12-21-2009, 05:46 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,846,493 times
Quote:

There are many ways our government could help, not just in a few specific fast food areas. Rather than outlawing peoples choices, you simply make it more expensive to make those choices. Similar to what has been done with the cigarette industry. The Federal, State and Local govt could impact what foods and physical activities our children are exposed to. There could be programs designed to make it cost less to purchase healthy food choices in grocery stores. You don't need or even should we desire to prescribe to people what to buy. You simply let the economics of choices alter the selection process. Of course it would require taking on the large Food industry. I suspect the corporate resistance there, would make the Insurance industry resistance look puny by comparison. But, it could be done, have a much greater effect and be a lot less costly. Until movement in this direction takes place, we will just have to continue building bigger and bigger boxes, to contain the massive and growing health problem. That's all he latest round in Congress has been about, how big a box do we need now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies