Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 10:33 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times

Advertisements

Sarah is a political insider and getting more so every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2009, 10:36 PM

450 posts, read 502,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin13 View Post
Are you just really trying to help Palin sell more books? That's what it sounds like.....an advertisement for Palin's book, by someone who "claims" to not have liked or respected the woman PRIOR to reading that book!
Read my post Austin...these are from Oct 2008
"My point is Sarah Palin could've been the Governor of Alaska for 20 years at her current state she would still be UNQUALIFIED for Vice-President or President of the United States.
It is so clear to SOOOO many people that she lacks knowledge and the intelligence to be at either of those positions."
"I would bet any kind of money Sarah Palin could not point out Iran or Lebanon on a map! I am serious and I'm not being mean.
She is just not that intelligent (see her interviews where she said the most idoitics things ever said)
That is the single reason why she is not qualified! Not her experience!"
"Sarah Palin is SO UNQUALIFIED that many people are questioning whether John McCain is Qualified based on her pick ALONE!"

I was even more vocal to my political friends in real life in criticizing Palin.
So this is not an advertisement. (By the way i never said I didn't respect her)

Is it impossible for someone to change their views on a person in Politics?

Old 12-20-2009, 10:38 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2flyy View Post
Read my post Austin...these are from Oct 2008
"My point is Sarah Palin could've been the Governor of Alaska for 20 years at her current state she would still be UNQUALIFIED for Vice-President or President of the United States.
It is so clear to SOOOO many people that she lacks knowledge and the intelligence to be at either of those positions."
"I would bet any kind of money Sarah Palin could not point out Iran or Lebanon on a map! I am serious and I'm not being mean.
She is just not that intelligent (see her interviews where she said the most idoitics things ever said)
That is the single reason why she is not qualified! Not her experience!"
"Sarah Palin is SO UNQUALIFIED that many people are questioning whether John McCain is Qualified based on her pick ALONE!"

I was even more vocal to my political friends in real life in criticizing Palin.
So this is not an advertisement. (By the way i never said I didn't respect her)

Is it impossible for someone to change their views on a person in Politics?
You were right the first time.

Old 12-20-2009, 10:39 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,212,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Just what I have been saying in this thread from the beginning. Obama did not write that one and only a fool would think differently
This would make a very appropriate thread topic, if not already covered.

I believe that this particular thread is about former VP running mate, governor-who-quit of Alaska, and recent author and book signer Sarah Palin.

Old 12-20-2009, 10:40 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2flyy View Post
LOL alot of hostility there, let me address a few things

1) Yes I angrily (in the mist of the 2008 campaign and the constant Obama bashing by Fox News etc....) said at that moment (I made the thread) could not see Obama winning. And that was not because fear of Palin or Mccain by the way it was simply because of all the hatred I was seeing being thrown towards Obama.
Secondly I said I was done with the election out of frustration and I was back on CD forum and the news the very next day.
So again that was not a "prediction" that McCain-Palin would win. That was a day I was speaking frustrated and I went right back to fully believing Obama/Biden ticket would win after my frustration wore off....

2) I made this thread completely (intentionally unaware) of any lies or misrepresenting that is alleged by people in criticizing her book.
For one I see those same allegations about EVERY book that is written (especially in politics).
Also the things I learned and are impressed by reading her book are accomplishments that have not been refuted or argued (her turning Alaskan politics inside-out by basically overthrowing the government, the Alaska gasline, many many others).
I am also impressed my her way of leading and her core philosophies. Like I said I was on the side criticizes her and much like you thinking she was not fit to be in politics.
But in her clear explanations to certain criticisms and detailing her life and political career throughout the book, I could not disagree with you more....

You do as I've stated several times already have a legitimate argument when you bring up that she quit as Governor of Alaska. I agree she will have alot of recovering to do for that. I still disagree with her doing that and do not buy her explanations. I think she did it to make more money for her and her family. She took the opportunity at a height of her popularity to CASH IN. Was that politically wrong imo? Absolutely!

Lastly I totally disagree with you saying she is an insider. She is far far from that. Like I said earlier it would take forever to list all the things she has done and her accomplishments in which she went totally against the old politics as usual and was very successful

My advice to you would be to read her book!
The god of golf will not be reading that book. I doubt that very many of those who are making the loudest noises about the book and the woman on this thread will do that either. I didn't read either of Obama's books but he couldn't convince me to vote for him by promising all the changes in government that he hasn't managed yet, either.

You hang in there because I remember how much you were against her a year ago. You have every right to change your thinking about Sarah and that doesn't take away your right to be a liberal. I doubt she will run for President and if she does it won't be as a Republican as so many of these people are afraid it will be.

Just remember that you have every right to change your mind that 180 and none of these people have a right to call you names for doing it. Hell, one of them will never see anything other than that her hero of 2008 managed to wind that election. Maybe all of them are that way, but we all know that he isn't doing any better than she could. I don't think she would have to appoint nothing but Alaskans as her advisors as he did for his closest advisors. The three of them are all from Chicago politics and know how to play dirty politics and are crapping on him because they are better informed on dirty politics than he is. They are using the hell out of him and that has turned me toward him more than I ever thought I could do.

Sarah is going to have a big influence on both 2010 and 2012 whether she runs or not. Hang in there and take the ride with her.

Old 12-20-2009, 10:40 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,564,801 times
She ruined any chance she had the moment she quit and that is all she will be known as "Sarah the Quitter!" At least Obama wrote his own books!

Old 12-20-2009, 10:41 PM

450 posts, read 502,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Oh dear. What state did you say you lived in again?

Suppose you tell me how what you know about the all Alaskan (natural gas) pipeline that was supposed to be created and which she did her best to sell out to Canadian interests and big oil.

She didn't overthrow the government. She was elected as the governor of my state because any alternative was better than the previous governor. She attended very few legislative sessions (even before she was the VP pick) and did several 180s on her stances concerning various issues important to Alaskans. She's always had the support of (a slight majority of) the social conservatives in the state but really, during the Yukon Delta crisis last year she was too busy sticking her face in front of any and every lower 48 camera in sight to "serve the people she was elected to serve". That's just one instance.
I'm from Lousiana by the way.
If that is the case (what you are saying here) why was Palin (before her Pick as VP) approval rating was sky high in Alaska, if she was not effective as a leader?

Like I said the accomplishments she listed in her book were very impressive to me (Signing the gasline deal after decades of non action and all talk from previous administrations, Alaska's record surplus, and her cutting the budget and working to have a lot more transperancy regarding her positions and implementations as Governor, and many more)

Last edited by y2flyy; 12-20-2009 at 10:50 PM..

Old 12-20-2009, 10:41 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Perhaps the OP should vote for her ghost writer instead.

Old 12-20-2009, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayban View Post
erm....oh yeah,
there was a vacancy for the State Division of Agriculture, Palin appointed a high school classmate, Franci Havemeister, to the $95,000-a-year directorship. A former real estate agent, Ms. Havemeister cited her childhood love of cows as one of her qualifications for running the roughly $2 million agency.

Havemeister was one of at least five schoolmates Palin hired, often at salaries far exceeding their private sector wages....no flies on Sarah.
You haven't looked very closely at the people Obama surrounded himself with after saying you could judge a man by the people he has around him. Rahm Emanuel, David Axelrod and Valerie Jarrett. That is only three but the White House is full of people like them so I guess maybe Sarah may appoint about as well as Barack did.

Old 12-20-2009, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertjohnson View Post
Yes. Something stinks here.
For one of these left of center neo-atheists to make this kind of change
would require abandonment of all they hold dear. Don't think that happened.
I believe her and am ready to accept her as the first of the left leaners to make that change. At least I think she read the book with an open mind which few of the lefties here could ever do. Give her a chance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies