Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2009, 02:52 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,162,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reid_g View Post
Does anyone know if the Baucus idea of non profit health iinsurance organiztions being part of the state run exchanges?Is that still in the bill?
No one knows what's in the bill..not even Congress !
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2009, 02:55 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,145,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
There are some common sense things that could be done, such as allowing medical saving accounts for everyone, and allowing insurance companies to sell across state lines to stimulate competition. Does anyone know if these are part of the bill?
Harry had to drop things like those because he needed a vote here and another there etc.

Old 12-21-2009, 02:57 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,145,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
No one knows what's in the bill..not even Congress !
Only Harry and his lobbyist writers and there is so much and so many daily changes that they can't really know.

BOHICA

Old 12-21-2009, 05:22 PM

7,168 posts, read 5,344,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
There are some common sense things that could be done, such as allowing medical saving accounts for everyone, and allowing insurance companies to sell across state lines to stimulate competition. Does anyone know if these are part of the bill?
The selling of health insurance across state lines is a obnoxious {R} talking point that will do nothing to make health care more affordable.The average cost for a single person runs between 3,700 to 4,200 a year.
The competition will end somewhere between those 2 figures and with the state of our economy and wages low and stagnant their will still be massive amounts of people with out insurance.
I would be one,I can not afford a $300 plus bill being added on to what I pay out ,that money is not there.
The other Limbaugh/Hannity fed BS is about tort reform.In theory it is a good idea but in reality there is no guarantee that it will lower cost.What would stop the insurance companies from pocketing that money that was saved from law suits?If they did pocket that money those 2 big loud mouths would defend them because that is capitalism.

Old 12-21-2009, 05:43 PM

7,786 posts, read 7,993,591 times
it will take more than 3 or 4 years to pay for this mess. since obama got elected me and many others have been weaning ourselves to be below the poverty level. we are tired of paying and getting nothing back only to watch the people working the system get more. if the dems want to give us this Christmas present bring it on. i will still fight it but am prepared to live with it. think i'll retire in Nebraska

Old 12-21-2009, 05:54 PM

3,199 posts, read 4,302,449 times
Well it appears that at least one of the "usual suspects" will have his pockets lined.
Special Deals Sprinkled Throughout Final Health Care Bill - Yahoo! News

Quote:
It is a provision that grants $100 million to a single unnamed "health care facility," located in an unidentified state. The only clues to the beneficiary: The facility must be affiliated with an academic health center that houses the only public dental and medical school in the state.

Sen. Christopher J. Dodd, D-Conn., requested the provision, hoping that the University of Connecticut would win the money, a spokesman confirmed. But at least 11 other institutions nationwide seem to fit the criteria and could also apply for the grant.
Reid, Dodd. Pelosi, hang em all.

Old 12-21-2009, 06:59 PM

1,653 posts, read 1,165,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allydriver View Post
Well it appears that at least one of the "usual suspects" will have his pockets lined.
Special Deals Sprinkled Throughout Final Health Care Bill - Yahoo! News

Reid, Dodd. Pelosi, hang em all.
Here'sthe bill
http://democrats.senate.gov/reform/p...e-care-act.pdf

Your source says on page 328, sorry your source is wrong. Why am I not surprised that you would post a lie.

Old 12-21-2009, 07:08 PM

639 posts, read 1,139,459 times
Years from now when our grandchildren are eating crumbs out of sewers because the government is taxing our salaries at 70% to pay for health care, crap and trade, global (hoax) warming, stimulus one, stimulus two, and cars for clunkers, we can look back and say "Wow, I guess that National Health Care wasn't such a good idea!!" or "You mean Obama lied about what it would cost???" Wake up America...we need a revolution at the voting booths......let your voting do the talking.....I would also be willing to support the country into two equal parts. The Dems can choose their areas as long as they include the NON PRODUCERS they have been supporting for years. The Dems can legalize ALL illegal aliens (that's right ILLEGAL) including those currently housed in American jails, they can also continue to come up with social programs for the non contributing members of society because it is someone "ELSES" fault that they have failed. The Republican part of the country will take their hard work, productivity, blue collar mentality, guns, bibles, military, and "law and order" mentality. We will see who will call whom first for assistance but I have my own opinion on that......

Old 12-21-2009, 07:28 PM

1,653 posts, read 1,165,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtAJC View Post
Years from now when our grandchildren are eating crumbs out of sewers because the government is taxing our salaries at 70% to pay for health care, crap and trade, global (hoax) warming, stimulus one, stimulus two, and cars for clunkers, we can look back and say "Wow, I guess that National Health Care wasn't such a good idea!!" or "You mean Obama lied about what it would cost???" Wake up America...we need a revolution at the voting booths......let your voting do the talking.....I would also be willing to support the country into two equal parts. The Dems can choose their areas as long as they include the NON PRODUCERS they have been supporting for years. The Dems can legalize ALL illegal aliens (that's right ILLEGAL) including those currently housed in American jails, they can also continue to come up with social programs for the non contributing members of society because it is someone "ELSES" fault that they have failed. The Republican part of the country will take their hard work, productivity, blue collar mentality, guns, bibles, military, and "law and order" mentality. We will see who will call whom first for assistance but I have my own opinion on that......
They say there are two kinds of people in this world, those that talk and those that do. We sure get a lot of talk out of you.

Old 12-21-2009, 07:30 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,011,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
The only time the year 2014 is mentioned in that article is here:
Federal subsidies will be available to people purchasing medical coverage through the exchanges, which are expected to be up and running by 2014.
But actually, there's a lot going on prior to 2014:

What happens before 2014?
A lot of people have been asking what the Senate bill does immediately. To put it another way, in 2010 and 2012, when Republicans are saying that reform has done nothing despite the fact that it hasn't yet gone into effect, what will Democrats be able to brag about? Here's the list:

1) Eliminating lifetime limits, and cap annual limits, on health-care benefits. In other words, if you get an aggressive cancer and your treatment costs an extraordinary amount, your insurer can't suddenly remind you that subparagraph 15 limited your yearly expenses to $30,000, and they're not responsible for anything above that.
2) No more rescissions.
3) Some interim help for people who have preexisting conditions, though the bill does not instantly ban discrimination on preexisting conditions.
4) Requiring insurers to cover preventive care and immunizations.
5) Allowing young adults to stay on their parent's insurance plan until age 26.
6) Developing uniform coverage documents so people can compare different insurance policies in an apples-to-apples fashion.
7) Forcing insurers to spend 80 percent of all premium dollars on medical care (75 percent in the individual market), thus capping the money that can go toward administration, profits, etc.
8) Creating an appeals process and consumer advocate for insurance customers.
9) Developing a temporary re-insurance program to help early retirees (folks over 55) afford coverage.
10) Creating an internet portal to help people shop for and compare coverage.
11) Miscellaneous administrative simplification stuff.
12) Banning discrimination based on salary (i.e., where a company that's not self-insured makes only some full-time workers eligible for coverage).
All of these things are a great start...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies