Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 08:56 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,183,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
But everyone would still rather be in CA. They may not be able to, but they would rather. Nothing is ever going to change that.
I would not say everyone. There are a lot of people that do not care for the state just as many may not care for TX.

Luckily we all have a choice, just maybe not a choice economically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2009, 09:05 AM

300 posts, read 429,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
But eveyone would still rather be in CA. They may not be able to, but they would rather. Nothing is ever going to change that.
I don't know how you can say "everyone" would rather be in CA. For, that is not a true statement.

For instance, my husband and I have sufficient resources to easily move to California - with absolutely no financial problems whatsoever. But, we don't want to. Thanks but, No thanks.

We much prefer where we are (Arizona) and this is where we will stay.

Old 12-22-2009, 09:08 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,730,722 times
I agree with #1, #3, #4. These are all reasons that Texas whips California.

Regarding #2 - environmentalism - I think you need to adjust your scope longer-term to appreciate growth restrictions. Environmentalism rarely yields measurable results, but that is due to the expense and lack of interest in measuring and quantifying our own environment (particularly urban environments). It is extremely difficult to quantify clean air and water, or the presence of harmful substances - and that is ignoring global environmental issues.

I also think that religion has nothing whatsoever to do with Texas's robust economy.

I also think you conveniently omitted the "oil factor".

Old 12-22-2009, 09:16 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,730,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Oh Texas is great for corporations!

They don't have to provide insurance for their workers.

Hence the highest uninsured rates in the Nation!

Uninsured: Highest Percentage in Texas, Lowest in Mass.

And you can pay your workers nearly 20% less!

States of the United States of America by income - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And the second highest teenage prenacy rates in the Nation..............Family Values! http://deeperwants.com/ratboys_anvil...tblowlarge.jpg

Texas is great! You must be so proud!

Hi padcrasher.

Are those stats normalized for cost-of-living and taxes?

It does not appear so.

Personally I think $50k/yr gross salary in Texas goes much farther than $60k in California.

Old 12-22-2009, 09:21 AM

37,802 posts, read 41,008,695 times
Why is it that when many Californians flee their oppressive state, they run to Texas? I hear Austin has become New California, home of big libs looking to keep their money (lower cost of living, lower taxes, no oncome tax) in a conservative/libertarian state. Be careful, Texas. You can see what Northeastern liberals have done to North Carolina.

Old 12-22-2009, 09:33 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Why is it that when many Californians flee their oppressive state, they run to Texas? I hear Austin has become New California, home of big libs looking to keep their money (lower cost of living, lower taxes, no oncome tax) in a conservative/libertarian state. Be careful, Texas. You can see what Northeastern liberals have done to North Carolina.
They are already crying about the lack of social services and other liberal ideas. I'm near Austin and see it bigtime..mandatory energy audits on homes (some homes date back to early 1900's..$$$$$)..lack of this, lack of that, not enough this, not enough that. They want it all.

Old 12-22-2009, 10:08 AM

1,096 posts, read 1,835,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
The vast majority of people in America think that California is more
desirable than Texas otherwises Texas would have 40 Million people
instead of California.....
So using your logic, does that mean the "vast majority of people" on the planet find India and China the most desirable places to live?

Old 12-22-2009, 10:24 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,626,028 times
I had a friend recently tell me 'I'd rather be broke in California than rich in Texas'.

That about sums it up for me. Plus, the business I work for thrives because of their position in California so I'm not planning on going anywhere soon

Old 12-22-2009, 11:16 AM

2,684 posts, read 6,886,507 times
Wow, no one yet has actually defended California's policies. The only defense is statements about how in sum Cali is cooler. This true California is a cool state but their policies suck and I think the lack of defense on this thread proves it.

Old 12-22-2009, 11:21 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,183,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I had a friend recently tell me 'I'd rather be broke in California than rich in Texas'.

That about sums it up for me. Plus, the business I work for thrives because of their position in California so I'm not planning on going anywhere soon
And it would be nice to keep all the broke people in the Bankrupt State. The hole gets deeper and they keep digging.

BTW, Cali is a absolutely beautiful and great state but you guys need to hire a few accountants. (and get rid of a few old hippy politicians - there is no free love anymore)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies