Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 08:48 PM

646 posts, read 1,784,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpoint View Post
I agree with you on having your own thoughts. That is why I did not say Democrat or Republican. I vote Democrat sometimes and Republican others. Sticking to party lines is what is causing such a divide now.

As much as possible, I would try to eliminate cash funding to people from the government. I am talking long term payments for people that can work, not people that have been injured and definately not Vets. In my world, vetereans would be taken care of very nicely. I would prefer to offer free daycare to single parents, so they can work, rather than free money so they can stay home (trust me...I know about this one. Half my family has been on the welfare system and have 100% totally been able to work). Again, incentive to move forward with your life, rather than being stuck in a situation. I would guarantee education to EVERYONE. Not free, but guaranteed paid for now, if you do not have the funds, but a 100% payback at an affordable rate when you work. Again, incentive to do better.

Equal rights for all, means no special right because of anything. No special right for a religious, ethnic or sexual reason. You, me and everyone else gets the same rights. No more, no less. There have been unfortuante situations in the past, but let's move forward....finally.

Right to decide for myself....is obviously within reasonable moral standards. I do not want government programs deciding where I work, what I do or which doctor I can choose. I want the right to do what I want, when I want, UNLESS it negatively affects someone else. IE I cannot drink and drive, shoot someone, steal from someone.

Anyhow, I want everyones opinion on why they choose to be Liberal or Conservative.
That makes sense, and I appreciate you elaborating on some of these points. Your ideas on edcuation and daycare are certainly more in the democratic sphere than republican ideas.

Are there any so called "special rights" that you see today that should be abolished or that shouldn't be implemented?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2007, 10:41 PM

989 posts, read 2,757,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
Here is a more interesting question: What supposedly is the definition of a "liberal" and a "conservative"?
The problem is that the "original" meanings don't apply anymore, just like a swastika "used" to be a symbol of peace before Hitler (I know it still is in many places, but I am speaking about the American Lexicon).

Old 05-20-2007, 11:07 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,135,181 times
I don't know how to apply the label:

I don't favor gay marriage, but I support gays having insurance and property rights via civil unions.

I don't favor late term abortions, but believe the morning after pill should be freely available in pharmacies, without a prescription.

I resent the food police trying to mandate restaurants printing nutritional information for each meal.

I favor extensive food inspections.

I support the clear air act, and believe global warming is a real threat that needs to be dealt with on the govt level.

I favor maximizing the technology to use alternative fuels for vehicles and homes.

I favor programs that constructively support the disabled adults, with severe conditions like cerebral palsy, spina bifida, and downs syndrome, and I don't mean just warehousing these folks for 5 or 6 hours a day.

I support the proposed increase in minimum wage.

I agree with foreign trade, and the need for extensive foreign trade.

I favor free markets when possible, but believe much of what is described as free market really isn't.

I support the continuation of social security and medicare, with some minor tweaks to make it sustainable over the long term.

I favor an immigration bill rewarding folks who are willing to work and contribute to society.

I believe economic competition provides great outcomes for all, and growth.

I resent MADD successfully campaigning to lower the blood alcohol level for drunk driving without scientific evidence the old standard really meant you were sufficiently impared (and no, I have not been cited for drunk driving and I don't even drink!).

I resent mandatory seat belt laws, let the insurance companies not compensate you for additional injuries due to failure to wear seatbelts.

I favor some form of national health insurance, though I believe it should be via private competition with alternative funding and deductibles (haven't been able to fully figure this out but this is my sentiment).

I believe smokers are unfairly treated, and should have areas set aside for them in buildings as dedicated smoking rooms, as opposed to standing outside during the work day (and no, I do not smoke).

I resent religious bullying, stating my god is better than yours, and the attempts to force religion into the schools.

I believe in evolution, and am certain creationism is wrong.

So, what am I???

Old 05-21-2007, 12:03 AM

22,861 posts, read 28,109,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
I think you are being just a tad bit disingenuous, in the other thread you just said you agree with about "90%" of Dennis Kucinich's views! 75% of his views puts you so far out in left feild your into wacky territory! Be proud, my freind be proud! To me liberal is a dirty word, but if thats you embrace it!
When it comes to his views on the environment, education, health care, big business, and tried I'm with him. In fact, I'm probably to the left of Kucinich. When it comes to abortion, I'm probably farther to the right than anyone reading this. Kucinich used to be a man of conscience who was pro-life, but when he decided to run for higher office he (like most other Democrats) sold out his conscience for political expediency.

There is no easy label to put on what I am politically. If you could meld G.K. Chesterton with Wendell Berry and throw in a little punk rock, you might have something close to me.

Old 05-21-2007, 04:38 AM

203 posts, read 162,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockholmaren View Post
That makes sense, and I appreciate you elaborating on some of these points. Your ideas on edcuation and daycare are certainly more in the democratic sphere than republican ideas.

Are there any so called "special rights" that you see today that should be abolished or that shouldn't be implemented?
I would eliminate affirmative action. How can we be as one, until we act as one. How about no one can be discriminated against for any reason. We need to stop pointing out our differences and start celebrating what we have in common.

Old 05-21-2007, 05:02 AM

1,697 posts, read 3,473,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
The point here is that you're trying to make grand principles out of everything. Just do this, that, and the other thing, and everything will be alright. The real world is far from being such a simple place as that, so you can't be tied to such over-arching inflexibility. Every situation arrives de novo. You need to allow yourself the freedom to deal with them as such...
Interesting points. Ironically, I find conservatives and Republicans to be much more "big government" today than Democrats ever were, from domestic warrantless wiretapping to the PATRIOT act to to the Military Commissions act to the War on Drugs, War on Terror, War on Peace, etc., to corporate and wingnut welfare for the elite.

Old 05-21-2007, 05:06 AM

4,462 posts, read 7,977,171 times
The title of this thread seems a bit strange
The Conservative Philosophy is what we have had for nearly 40 years- when Nixon won in 1968- that changed nearly 36 years of 'Liberal Philosophy' when FDR won in 1932- and you had 30 plus years of unbridled liberalism.

The conservative agenda accelerated in 1980 when Reagan was elected. Now 27 years later of 'Free Market' Laissez Fair economics- which is what Clinton's 8 years where merely a continuation of seems to be running out of steam.

A diminishing of social safety nets- and in fact total elimination of them.
An economy with multiple bubbles, debt and speculation not seen on such a scale since the 1920's. A toxic virulent health care system, that benefits the drug and insurance companies; their CEO's and wealthy shareholders at the expense of many Americans.

Seems to me many Americans will be looking for Liberals to control the wing nut conservatives for creating this Topsy tervy economic oligarchy that benefits mainly the wealthy- as it did in 1929.

Old 05-21-2007, 10:29 AM

646 posts, read 1,784,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpoint View Post
I would eliminate affirmative action. How can we be as one, until we act as one. How about no one can be discriminated against for any reason. We need to stop pointing out our differences and start celebrating what we have in common.
Affirmative action is a tricky issue, but unfortunately not everybody has an equal opportunity when starting one's life, so that's what such policies are in place. I agree with you though that we shouldn't use differences to divide us further, but it's also important that when such differences are used against people that we take strong action.

Old 05-21-2007, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
The title of this thread seems a bit strange
The Conservative Philosophy is what we have had for nearly 40 years- when Nixon won in 1968- that changed nearly 36 years of 'Liberal Philosophy' when FDR won in 1932- and you had 30 plus years of unbridled liberalism.

The conservative agenda accelerated in 1980 when Reagan was elected. Now 27 years later of 'Free Market' Laissez Fair economics- which is what Clinton's 8 years where merely a continuation of seems to be running out of steam.

A diminishing of social safety nets- and in fact total elimination of them.
An economy with multiple bubbles, debt and speculation not seen on such a scale since the 1920's. A toxic virulent health care system, that benefits the drug and insurance companies; their CEO's and wealthy shareholders at the expense of many Americans.

Seems to me many Americans will be looking for Liberals to control the wing nut conservatives for creating this Topsy tervy economic oligarchy that benefits mainly the wealthy- as it did in 1929.
The thread title was used, just to get interest in reading it. Mission accomplished.

As far as your post is concerned, I was not trying to get what is wrong with politicians or the "other side", but more of what is it about the liberal side or the conservative side that you "like". Ball is in your court.

Old 05-21-2007, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockholmaren View Post
Affirmative action is a tricky issue, but unfortunately not everybody has an equal opportunity when starting one's life, so that's what such policies are in place. I agree with you though that we shouldn't use differences to divide us further, but it's also important that when such differences are used against people that we take strong action.
Think about it though. If everyone had the same rights and opportunity given to them, then that would include people that are less fornunate with their circumstances. I myself was just a victim of reverse discrimination. I and a person of a different race than me were up for a promotion. By everyone's admission, I had much, much more experience. Everything else was even, except for the fact that the company is really focused on diversity and felt they were lacking in some areas. I did not get the job. That is the type of thing I do not want to see happen. Best person for the job gets the job. Period. Let's make sure everyone has the capability of putting themselves in the position of being the best person for the job. Let's not hand out cash to help people out, when in reality we are hurting them by not providing a means for personal and professional advancement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies