Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2009, 05:20 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times

Advertisements

Interesting article from a journalist who was in the room during the talks.
China ruled this meeting it seems with their demands and changes to almost all commitments. China definitely wielded it's newfound power and all the countries conceded to their demands.

I bolded a very noting sentence from this article.

How do I know China wrecked the Copenhagen deal? I was in the room | Mark Lynas | Environment | The Guardian

snippet:
"China's strategy was simple: block the open negotiations for two weeks, and then ensure that the closed-door deal made it look as if the west had failed the world's poor once again.
To those who would blame Obama and rich countries in general, know this: it was China's representative who insisted that industrialised country targets, previously agreed as an 80% cut by 2050, be taken out of the deal.
China, backed at times by India, then proceeded to take out all the numbers that mattered. A 2020 peaking year in global emissions, essential to restrain temperatures to 2C, was removed and replaced by woolly language suggesting that emissions should peak "as soon as possible".
China knows it is becoming an uncontested superpower; indeed its newfound muscular confidence was on striking display in Copenhagen. "
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2009, 07:31 PM

1,329 posts, read 3,544,860 times
It looks like Man-made Global Warming - via Climategate - is about to join the Piltdown Man in the annals of great scientific hoaxes. I suspect the Chinese caught wind of the spiral of lies and distortions from the climate witch doctors way early, through their much vaunted cyberspying unit. Research labs are notorious for their lax internet security. If the Chinese can hack into the Pentagon, they can sure hack into the communications of these Man-made Global Warming posers. I bet they've been laughing up their sleeves about the West's hysterical reaction to this web of pseudo-scientific superstition for years, even as the West hands over large sums of money to them in the form of "carbon credit" purchases. I don't blame them for taking the money. They merely acted in accordance with two ancient* Anglo Saxon adages - (1) there's a sucker born every minute and (2) never look a gift horse in the mouth.

* And I use that adjective loosely.

Last edited by Zhang Fei; 12-22-2009 at 07:56 PM..

Old 12-22-2009, 07:45 PM

1,763 posts, read 7,335,319 times
China isn't a superpower. They're just better at doing whatever the hell they want.

At last there's proof: 44% of Americans are crazy - James Fallows

Old 12-22-2009, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caution View Post
China isn't a superpower. They're just better at doing whatever the hell they want.

At last there's proof: 44% of Americans are crazy - James Fallows
In the (West's) post-colonial era, most countries do whatever the heck they want. Only the West is somewhat constrained by principles.

Last edited by Zhang Fei; 12-22-2009 at 09:14 PM..

Old 12-22-2009, 08:13 PM

4,002 posts, read 3,905,319 times
Principles don't pay the light bill, and China knows it.

Old 12-22-2009, 08:15 PM

2,352 posts, read 2,279,434 times
China has always done what they want.

Old 12-22-2009, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
Principles don't pay the light bill, and China knows it.
I can't really blame them. Even if they believed this Man-made Global Warming mumbo jumbo, the talking heads at Copenhagen wanted to limit them to per capita carbon emissions that are lower than the West's per person number. In other words, even if they catch up to the West in terms of annual income per person by 2050, they'd have to have lower carbon emissions per capita. This sounds like a case of all animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.

Old 12-22-2009, 11:01 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
When it comes to being obstructionist, the Chinese have had 38 years of practice, which is how long they have been a permanent member of the U.N. Security Council.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies