U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 12:39 PM

1,179 posts, read 923,209 times

Advertisements

Monday, December 21st, 2009 -- 7:35 pm

"Over the unexplained objections of 30 Republican Senators, an anti-rape amendment authored by Senator Al Franken (D-MN) became law Monday with President Obama's signature on the Department of Defense Appropriations Act, 2010.

The provision was sparked by the gang-rape of a 19-year-old Kellogg, Brown & Root employee by her coworkers in Iraq. After returning to the United States, Jamie Leigh Jones found she couldn't sue the company because of a clause in her employment contract.

Franken's amendment to the Defense Appropriations Act prohibits companies from using employment contracts to bar litigation over sexual assault or discrimination.

When the Senate took up Franken's measure, 30 Republicans voted against it. None cared to explain why, with some suggesting it's simply not the government's business to rewrite employment contracts.

In an especially well-publicized confrontation, a tearful Jones asking Senator David Vitter (R-LA) why he wouldn't support the amendment. He simply walked away."

Rawstory.com
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2009, 12:42 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6YZ1wP1978

Old 12-23-2009, 12:45 PM

9,742 posts, read 10,142,302 times
What an a-hole.

Old 12-23-2009, 12:53 PM

Republicans for Rape - Our Legislators

Old 12-23-2009, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
What an a-hole.
Vitter is going to be real popular with the ladies of Louisiana, I can see it now, the campaign commercials about how 30 white men opposed justice for a woman that was gang raped, with old a hole Dave at the lead. What a guy. Youtube is utterly devastating. Wait til that makes it onto TV, this dirtbag is toast. Score one for Franken for exposing these grotesque hypocrites. And they thought he was just a clown.

Old 12-23-2009, 12:58 PM

9,742 posts, read 10,142,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feel The Love View Post
Vitter is going to be real popular with the ladies of Louisiana, I can see it now, the campaign commercials about how 30 white men opposed justice for a woman that was gang raped, with old a hole Dave at the lead. What a guy. Youtube is utterly devastating. Wait til that makes it onto TV, this dirtbag is toast. Score one for Franken for exposing these grotesque hypocrites. And they thought he was just a clown.
He was obviously angry, seeing how he slammed the door when leaving the building. The Franken amendment should have passed unanimously. I'm still amazed that it didn't. Are there still women out there who believe their place is in the home, barefoot and pregnant? Maybe some, but I agree with you. Vitter won't be getting much of the women's vote.

Old 12-23-2009, 01:04 PM

7,774 posts, read 7,999,595 times
Quote:
Oh. My. G-d.

Ohmygod.

Old 12-23-2009, 01:29 PM

14,255 posts, read 17,089,836 times
It would be interesting to see who contributes to Vitters re-election fund.

Old 12-23-2009, 02:18 PM

3,549 posts, read 7,507,808 times
I wonder how many women voted for him last time after his dirt-eating wife "stood by her man" while he admitted; "mistakes in my personal life" or some such BS about his relationship with a hooker.

IMO Jenny Sanford is just about the only non-stepford wife among Republicans. I thought it was a hoot when after his; "I thought I had found my soul-mate" press conference, she went around passing out her statement to reporters.

I look at these two d-bags, along with several other southern R Senators and I really have to wonder about the lack of intelligence of the southern voters.

golfgod

Old 12-23-2009, 02:37 PM

8,740 posts, read 11,140,255 times
Quote:

Meet the Republicans.

1) "Prolife" unless you are out of the womb and a woman.
2) Pro rape.
3) Anti woman.
4) Anti The People.
5) Pro Big Business and Big $$$ over human life and emotion.

Disgusting. I am SICKENED. The Republican party is a JOKE at best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies