Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 10:00 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,439,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVOBAMA View Post
At first she only asked that he at least get a detention. However, after a lack of action on everone's part, she wants him suspended. That is the rule after three infractions.
Ok what is she doing to accomplish that? Going to the school board and complaining about the teacher is NOT going to help her cause at all. I will say this again the teacher was wrong to discourage your nephew from reporting it and I am not sure how old he is but he should have gone right to the principal if the teacher did nothing, again not sure how old he is so that may not apply.

I feel badly for your nephew because it seems as though your sister is teaching him the right way but just keep in mind if your sister goes through with this her son will be the one that will pay the price. Wrong as it may be it will happen. Other kids will ostracize him, the teacher will be upset and all of that adds up to him having a very unhappy time at school. Sometimes it is better to just tell your kids to ignore it. I have two young sons I tell them all the time that if someone calls them a name to ignore them. I am much more concerned about the kids that actually use their hands then just words.

I hope it works out for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2009, 10:11 PM

1,773 posts, read 1,266,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Queen View Post
Ok what is she doing to accomplish that? Going to the school board and complaining about the teacher is NOT going to help her cause at all. I will say this again the teacher was wrong to discourage your nephew from reporting it and I am not sure how old he is but he should have gone right to the principal if the teacher did nothing, again not sure how old he is so that may not apply.

I feel badly for your nephew because it seems as though your sister is teaching him the right way but just keep in mind if your sister goes through with this her son will be the one that will pay the price. Wrong as it may be it will happen. Other kids will ostracize him, the teacher will be upset and all of that adds up to him having a very unhappy time at school. Sometimes it is better to just tell your kids to ignore it. I have two young sons I tell them all the time that if someone calls them a name to ignore them. I am much more concerned about the kids that actually use their hands then just words.

I hope it works out for them.
I understand where you're coming from & everyone needs to pick their battle. Perhaps this is their battle. I applaud them if they actually do something about it. Sure, the kid will most likely get picked on for it, maybe even threatened, but there may be many kids who have been on the receiving end of this other kid & be very relieved & happy that someone actually finally did something about it. This could be a good time for his nephew to stand up for himself, it can only get better from there.

Old 12-23-2009, 11:15 PM

99 posts, read 151,150 times
I'm all for fighting the good fight. However, I think it would be wasted on this teacher. She doesn't have a clue. I'm sure the other child will end up punished, but the teacher is wasted energy. I've met her. She's not very bright. She shares the views of some on this site. It's the only regular class my nephew has. He's in all honors classes.

We'll know more after the holiday break.

Old 12-23-2009, 11:22 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,183,047 times
You may have read the other thread.

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...ate-crime.html

Ignore the thread arguments but the beating of the kid by other kids for minor issues has to worry all parents. Seems like this is becoming much more common in the last few years.

Old 12-23-2009, 11:34 PM

99 posts, read 151,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
You may have read the other thread.

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...ate-crime.html

Ignore the thread arguments but the beating of the kid by other kids for minor issues has to worry all parents. Seems like this is becoming much more common in the last few years.

He's at a really good school. There are always a couple of bullies anywhere you go. There hasn't been any violence at the school this year. There were maybe three or four incidents last year. Things like a couple of guys getting to rough playing football. This kid has just singled my nephew out for whatever reason.

Old 12-23-2009, 11:45 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Tell your sister to calm down. My suggestion is to forget the whole thing and chalk it up to the fact that the world doesn't promise us a perfect life, with perfect people, doing everything perfectly. If there is an ongoing problem between your nephew and this boy then certainly deal with it, otherwise you are dealing with two children and a single "but he said."/ "no i didn't.." incident and it will never go anywhere. We waste a lot of time fighting some fights and getting ourselves worked up over things we can never really control. Sometimes it's in our best interest to shake things off instead of shaking things up.

Old 12-24-2009, 12:04 AM

1,372 posts, read 1,548,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Queen View Post
Hold on why does your sister feel like the teacher called him that? Why is your sister not mad at the kid that said it or the kids parents? The teacher should have let him report it but it seems like your sister is the raciest one going after the white teacher when she should be going after the kid and the kids parents.
Ah the rare voice of reason on C-D. How long will it take for her to get shouted down?

Apparently not long at all.

Last edited by Zekester; 12-24-2009 at 12:06 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 12-25-2009, 10:55 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,486,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVOBAMA View Post
It happened on a Friday. She knew he was upset about something, but he didn't tell my sister until the kid continued to call him the name. So by the time they made it to the principal, he stated that to much time had passed since the incident. Which really p/o my sister because the time lapse was the teachers fault. That's why she wants to go to the school board.
No...this is on the school administration. Too much time has passed? I don't think so. Kids don't always "share" with their parents and especially, in my experience, boys tend to keep a lot more to themselves than girls do. A principal of a school should have had a class or two in child psychology...I think that may even be a requirement to hold the position in the first place.

Your sister needs to calm herself down and take a deep breath. I don't blame her for being irate, not at all. She is absolutely right to be upset and off her rocker about it, but she needs to deal directly with the people who oversee her child on a daily basis. If she is not getting anywhere, then she needs to go to the BOE regarding the LACK of professionalism with how a bully was NOT dealt with. A teacher telling a kid his issue isn't important and a principal putting some "time line" on dealing with an incident....based on when it HAPPENED vs. when he was MADE AWARE OF IT, is just pure stupidity.

Your sister has every right to be upset with the way the incident was handled, but she also needs to know that she will get a lot farther if she brings attention to the way the "situation" was handled vs. the specifics of the situation.

Last edited by JerseyG; 12-25-2009 at 11:11 PM..

Old 12-25-2009, 11:06 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,572,548 times
It is sad that young people are even using the word Nigg*r in my honest opinion.

Old 12-25-2009, 11:43 PM

56 posts, read 107,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Tell your sister to calm down. My suggestion is to forget the whole thing and chalk it up to the fact that the world doesn't promise us a perfect life, with perfect people, doing everything perfectly. If there is an ongoing problem between your nephew and this boy then certainly deal with it, otherwise you are dealing with two children and a single "but he said."/ "no i didn't.." incident and it will never go anywhere. We waste a lot of time fighting some fights and getting ourselves worked up over things we can never really control. Sometimes it's in our best interest to shake things off instead of shaking things up.
In reality, this IS a situation that could have been controlled but wasn't due to ignorance on behalf of the teacher. The teacher is put there to educate the children and obviously she isn't doing that by telling one kid that he should accept being called a "n!gger" just because he's Black. Do you understand what she is telling that kid in the most indirect way possible...that he is a n!gger. I wouldn't want her instilling that subtle racism into my child either therefore inmy eyes the mother is 100% justified in wanting to have that teacher disciplined. You can come up with all the excuses like "Blacks always say it" but that does not excuse people from using the word. If someone says "this word offends me" all generalizations go out the window. If he didn't want to be called that word and the teacher didn't do anything to stop it she is WRONG and she is an enabler. In my opinion she has no business teaching and needs to go further her education past academia prior to stepping foot back into a classroom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies