Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 01:24 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,018,776 times

Advertisements

The teacher should have never brushed off this student's concerns. Just because SOME blacks use that derogatory term with each other does not make it a universally acceptable term among blacks. The N word is a racially, derogatory term regardless of who called whom the N word and should have been dealt with properly according to the school's zero tolerance policy. Yes, the other kid should deal with the consequences for calling someone the N word but the teacher (authority) neglected her duty for dealing with the situation by brushing off the student's complaint.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2009, 01:28 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,132,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVOBAMA View Post
I may get shut down for this. But it's a legit question. My family does not use the n-word. My half-sister called me because her son's school has a no tolerance policy on race issues. I'm sure most schools do. You get a detention if you use a racial slur. However, her son was called the n-word by another black student(not in an endearing way). He reported it to his white teacher. She ask him why he was upset because they both were black and wouldn't let him report it. My nephew was very upset and so was my sister. She feels like the teacher in fact called him a n-. I told her maybe it wasn't racism, just ignorance on the teacher's part. Needless to say she's mad at me now! She hasn't had any problems with the teacher this year. She wants to go to the school board. If you've had similar issues, tell me how you've dealt with it. Please no mean comments. Give me something I can let her read.

She thinks I don't understand because I'm mixed.

Zero tolerance means just that. There are no exceptions for any reason. Certainly, there is a HUGE double standard with the use of that word based upon whether it is coming from someone of the same racial group or a different one. No matter here. Zero tolerance.

Your sister needs to take this up with the principal and the school board if he/she will not act on it. The rules MUST be applied fairly to everyone at all times or else they are useless to anyone.

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-26-2009, 09:12 AM

99 posts, read 151,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcase LBC View Post
In reality, this IS a situation that could have been controlled but wasn't due to ignorance on behalf of the teacher. The teacher is put there to educate the children and obviously she isn't doing that by telling one kid that he should accept being called a "n!gger" just because he's Black. Do you understand what she is telling that kid in the most indirect way possible...that he is a n!gger. I wouldn't want her instilling that subtle racism into my child either therefore inmy eyes the mother is 100% justified in wanting to have that teacher disciplined. You can come up with all the excuses like "Blacks always say it" but that does not excuse people from using the word. If someone says "this word offends me" all generalizations go out the window. If he didn't want to be called that word and the teacher didn't do anything to stop it she is WRONG and she is an enabler. In my opinion she has no business teaching and needs to go further her education past academia prior to stepping foot back into a classroom.

You have helped me look at it in a somewhat different light. I'll talk to her and let her read some of the opinions on the thread. I just want her to focus on the issues.

Old 12-26-2009, 09:48 AM

12,961 posts, read 13,673,944 times
she's discriminating against non-black children by allowing black children to "curse" in certain instances. There are a lot of dumb teachers out there who don't know any better and won't get it. I am almost done getting my kids through school and my advise is to choose your battles wisely.

Old 12-26-2009, 09:50 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wedjat View Post
True, but I also think the teacher is in the wrong as well. She/he never should have made excuses just because some blacks call each other that name, that's inexcusable.
But whites are always told that it's okay if blacks call each other the n word, and look how they bend over backward justifying the lyrics of certain rap songs.

Old 12-26-2009, 09:52 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Zero tolerance means just that. There are no exceptions for any reason. Certainly, there is a HUGE double standard with the use of that word based upon whether it is coming from someone of the same racial group or a different one. No matter here. Zero tolerance.

Your sister needs to take this up with the principal and the school board if he/she will not act on it. The rules MUST be applied fairly to everyone at all times or else they are useless to anyone.

20yrsinBranson
Not as long as white kids are called "gringo", "anglo", "honky", "redneck" and it's perfectly fine. Name calling is name calling, and racial slurs are okay for some apparently.

Old 12-26-2009, 04:54 PM

56 posts, read 107,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
But whites are always told that it's okay if blacks call each other the n word, and look how they bend over backward justifying the lyrics of certain rap songs.
I'm confused on who you're referring to with the word "they" because if you are referring to African Americans that would mean that I too bend over backwards to justify the lyrics of "certain rap songs" which is strikingly false. So either you are mindlessly generalizing another group of people based on a commonality or you're just full of crap, your pick. Either way though you're dead wrong and need to check your ignorance at the front door because this is not the place for mindless, hateful, and unproductive rhetoric.

Old 01-04-2010, 11:12 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,442,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
your sister should be mad at the teacher. if the school has a no tolerance the teacher should have reported it. tell your sister to go talk to the principle.
I agree with you, in that the teacher should have reproted this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies