Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2009, 05:14 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeym81 View Post
DO YO WATCH THE NEWS???????????????????

Here's something from the past year. I got more if you need them.

Presidential Memorandum--Closure of Dentention Facilities at the Guantanamo Bay Naval Base | The White House
Your evidence that Obama has done something all year, is that it took him ELEVEN months to do what everyone knew would be done LAST YEAR? ThAnd what is it you've linked to, ANOTHER executive order? What does this do to dispute that he's done NOTHING?
Quote:
No he couldn't He ran into a ton of legal issues, and resistance from local politicians who didn't want the prisoners in their state. I guess you missed all of that somehow.

Again where are these unbiased fact checking sites? I would love to start using them
He ran into NO legal issues, he ran into political resistance which is why him PROMISING to close GITMO within a year was so foolish. That doesnt mean it wasnt a promise and that it wasnt a LIE. He's doing the ONLY thing they could have done LAST YEAR, because if you are going to close GITMO and move them to the US, there is/was only ONE prison empty in the nation with security enough to hold terrorists. ONE.. Your telling me that it took ELEVEN months to decide to buy the prison which has been EMPTY for YEARS?

What unbiased facts are you looking for? The ones which claim Obama DIDNT sign an executive order to close GITMO?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2009, 05:15 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
If you are looking for proof see my above post. After that re-read your line about egos and apply it to yourself.
I'm sorry but all you've "proven" was that Obama made a promise to close GITMO, and signed an executive order to have this done within a year, that he didnt keep.

Sorry, but all you've done is spin his lies into "its not his fault"..

Old 12-24-2009, 05:22 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,304,292 times
LOL Yea, well, once in office, there is no way of knowing what politicians will do. They technically could tell us anything and as long as it sounds good to us we will vote them in, but they could abandon all those promises or campaign points if they wanted to. They could just play it as if things simply changed and they were now presented with intelligence or actual numbers that keep them from doing what they got voted in for. Also, looking at the length of time of a presidency, they may not even have the time to do all the things that they said, so that it another way to get off the hook. When looking at a candidate, we from now on should probably be asking ourselves and researching whether or not a President can actually get those things done in four years. As we see, the first year of Obama's presidency is already almost over, it took him months to even begin to get things moving on many topics. We are voting in Presidents that are working on limited intelligence and data, their campaigns are going to be hopes intentions, but what happens when it is not even realistic to do what they want?

Old 12-24-2009, 05:30 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
I am wondering when we will all get fed up and vote in a third party.
A small minority of us have been trying to do it for years.

But we need MORE people doing it.

Old 12-24-2009, 05:31 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,967,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
what i would have liked was aside from the presidential election was a lil bit more participation in the democratic process. just 1 question did you email your rep and senator to say
kill the bill?
i did and have been asking CDF posters to do the same for weeks, did they?
congress does not read CDF.
I did, but from the canned response, my representatives don't read email from voters, either.

Old 12-24-2009, 05:32 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,786,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
LOL Yea, well, once in office, there is no way of knowing what politicians will do. They technically could tell us anything and as long as it sounds good to us we will vote them in, but they could abandon all those promises or campaign points if they wanted to. They could just play it as if things simply changed and they were now presented with intelligence or actual numbers that keep them from doing what they got voted in for. Also, looking at the length of time of a presidency, they may not even have the time to do all the things that they said, so that it another way to get off the hook. When looking at a candidate, we from now on should probably be asking ourselves and researching whether or not a President can actually get those things done in four years. As we see, the first year of Obama's presidency is already almost over, it took him months to even begin to get things moving on many topics. We are voting in Presidents that are working on limited intelligence and data, their campaigns are going to be hopes intentions, but what happens when it is not even realistic to do what they want?

i see what you are saying and it does take time but in the small time he's had he has rushed this healthcare bill along adding more and more pages to it along the way.....and he has made his own mistakes that could have been avoided like signing the stimulus bill which is actually costing us more and then promising 100 billion dollars to back his views on the carbon tax / climate change issue....that is no one elses fault but his own....maybe he didnt have experience enough to know that he couldn't keep all his promises in the short 4 years he has, but like my mom says to me...don't make a promise to people unless u can keep it....otherwise just tell them you will try to do your best...he vowed never to pass a bill that would raise taxes on the working class, but this has already happened from his signing of the bill

Old 12-24-2009, 05:33 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,726,125 times
hope and change, hope and change well now that everybody has taken off their god goggles thay can see the real truth. a politician is a politican!!!! and talk is talk!!! ,, bs is bs..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcRA2AZsR2Q

Old 12-24-2009, 05:34 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,967,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oscottscotto View Post
We who voted for Obama knew (at least I hope) that the whole "no tax increase under $250k" line was aimed at income taxes. It was a sly move to try to get any of the (in my opinion, dumb) "all taxes are evil" crowd to lay off. Of course other taxes would be have to be raised. To imput progressive govenment programs, taxes have to be raised in some form or fashion. I'd say that 95% of us who voted Obama knew this and are completely okay with it. Sorry if anyone was duped into thinking he meant "No new taxes" like the elder Bush meant. Obama ceratinly did not mean "No new taxes". He meant "No income tax increases on those making under this amont per year".
So let me get this straight - when he said "taxes of any kind", he REALLY meant income taxes? Why didn't he just say that? Lying? Stupid? Great choices, but in the end, we get the shaft.

Just a question - why are you completely OK with the government spending like drunken sailors, then taxing us to pay for it?

Old 12-24-2009, 05:37 PM

631 posts, read 719,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Your evidence that Obama has done something all year, is that it took him ELEVEN months to do what everyone knew would be done LAST YEAR? ThAnd what is it you've linked to, ANOTHER executive order? What does this do to dispute that he's done NOTHING?
So finding a location to house the prisoners is nothing??? Right. I forgot.

Quote:
he ran into political resistance which is why him PROMISING to close GITMO within a year was so foolish.
Foolish yes... but a lie NO. If I remember correctly I think I said I agree with you on that one. But you wouldn't know that because you don't really read thru the posts.

Quote:
because if you are going to close GITMO and move them to the US, there is/was only ONE prison empty in the nation with security enough to hold terrorists. ONE.. Your telling me that it took ELEVEN months to decide to buy the prison which has been EMPTY for YEARS?
HMM not true. The state planned on using the prison, but cancelled the idea in March 2009. Until then this prison was never really a option.

Quote:
What unbiased facts are you looking for? The ones which claim Obama DIDNT sign an executive order to close GITMO?
For anything really. What sites do you count as unbiased?

Old 12-24-2009, 05:39 PM

631 posts, read 719,827 times
Quote:
I'm sorry but all you've "proven" was that Obama made a promise to close GITMO, and signed an executive order to have this done within a year, that he didnt keep.

Sorry, but all you've done is spin his lies into "its not his fault"..

Where did I say its not obama's fault the prison wasn't closed in a year?

Please show me. Or are you putting words in my mouth?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies