Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 10:05 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,459,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscottscotto View Post
What income tax has risen on those making less than 250k?
The healthcare tax will be paid by all--not to mention CARBON taxes or energy taxes. He promised NO NEW TAX of ANY KIND on those with under $250k income.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2009, 10:06 AM

9,644 posts, read 9,847,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
While I'm a bit disappointed, I don't believe 11 months is time enough to judge if we're heading in the right direction but..............................

I've seen NOTHING to convince me McCain would've been a better choice and couldn't possibly bring myself to vote for Palin as VP. The GOP needs something better than the constant fear-mongering negative campaigns and the continual use of abortion and gay issues as their main blathering points. They've sure done little in the past 30 years to live up to their alleged fiscal conservatism.
See thats what gets me also. Why dont you blame the dnc of fear mongering also?

I believe telling the country that if we dont pass this stimulus we might not ever recover. Then telling the country that if we dont pass his healthcare bill it will bankrupt the country is trying to use fear to pass his policies.

Obama is using fear of doom to get support for his policies how is that not using fear?

I believe Obama ran on being fiscal with our money also. DIdnt he say something about pay he he went. So much for that

Old 12-24-2009, 10:08 AM

2,385 posts, read 4,334,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
Do u not know why he said family of 250K?

Once again just because you dont smoke doesnt mean he didnt break the promise to you also. Think about it for a while and you just might get it
No, you don't get it. He's not taxing things you can't opt out of like, "income tax, payroll tax, capital gains taxes". You can opt out of the smoking tax by not buying cigarettes.

Honestly, some people are so dumb and over-emotional about things that aren't actually based in REALITY, it makes me scared for this country.

Old 12-24-2009, 10:08 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,328,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violett View Post
no, lol, YOU are. you must be a smoker.

No, people are not mad, kindergardeners who see the world in black and white are mad. Compromises in these tough situations are rarely all or nothing. You have to give a little to get a little. If you expect Obama or any political representative to always keep 100% of every promise, you're going to be severely disappointed. If those representing us were always completely honest in their campaign elections, i.e., "I'm going to try and get done what I can, but not everything I campaign for is going to make it through", no one would vote for them. I mean, I would, but that's not how most people work.
FWIW I'm not a smoker, but just because that tax doesn't affect me does not discount that it IS a tax on millions of americans making less than 250K per year. Would you like a microscopic knife to continue splitting those hairs? I love how the right is accused of the "if it doesn't affect me I don't care about it" mentality, when in fact you are buying into that very argument.

And comparing voters' legitimate disdain with the current administration's policies to mad kindergarteners is just immature.

As far as I know, there is nothing preventing him from televising congressional debates. It has nothing to do with compromise. Also, nothing is preventing him from ridding these porkulous spending bills from earmarks... something he campaigned on and said he would do.

Old 12-24-2009, 10:12 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,459,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
He said no taxes of any kind.

"I can make a firm pledge," he said in Dover, N.H., on Sept. 12. "Under my plan, no family making less than $250,000 a year will see any form of tax increase. Not your income tax, not your payroll tax, not your capital gains taxes, not any of your taxes."

I believe smokers earning less then 250k seen their taxes go up
Keep your receipts. To give the President the benefit of the doubt, maybe we'll be pleasantly surprised and we'll be able to deduct some of these new taxes -- even healthcare on our income tax forrms. Just make sure you use the long form. I imagine filing our income taxes will be more complicated than EVER.

Old 12-24-2009, 10:15 AM

2,385 posts, read 4,334,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
FWIW I'm not a smoker, but just because that tax doesn't affect me does not discount that it IS a tax on millions of americans making less than 250K per year.
To me, the smoking tax does not fall in the same category as those other taxes. If it does to you, cool, I don't agree.

Old 12-24-2009, 10:17 AM

Quote:
No, you don't get it. He's not taxing things you can't opt out of like, "income tax, payroll tax, capital gains taxes". You can opt out of the smoking tax by not buying cigarettes.

Honestly, some people are so dumb and over-emotional about things that aren't actually based in REALITY, it makes me scared for this country.
Did he say he would only tax things you can opt out of?

No he said very clearly "not any of your taxes" Now maybe you should have suggested that he said only taxes that you can opt out of then he wouldnt have lied

Your childish insults are just that childish

Old 12-24-2009, 10:20 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,697,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeym81 View Post
No not really. Again by your logic he didn't lie to me. I don't smoke and I don't make over 250,000.

Also by looking at you quote you are so obsessed with did you ever wonder if he was talking about a tax that would include EVERYONE, like income tax?
Your taxes WILL go up when Cap and Tax is passed, don't worry...your turn is coming.

Old 12-24-2009, 10:21 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,328,091 times
Quote:
To me, the smoking tax does not fall in the same category as those other taxes. If it does to you, cool, I don't agree.
The definition of TAX...

tax

 –noun 1. a sum of money demanded by a government for its support or for specific facilities or services, levied upon incomes, property, sales, etc. 2. a burdensome charge, obligation, duty, or demand.
–verb (used with object) 3. (of a government) a. to demand a tax from (a person, business, etc.). b. to demand a tax in consideration of the possession or occurrence of (income, goods, sales, etc.), usually in proportion to the value of money involved.

Old 12-24-2009, 10:22 AM

Quote:
A tax is a tax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies