Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2009, 07:09 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,717,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ever Adrift View Post
We mandate that everyone buys car insurance, I suppose you are against that, too? If everyone has to buy health insurance that will work to lower insurance costs overall. There will still be a full range of choices regarding which company you buy from and what plan you take, the only choice you won't have is to not buy insurance (and even that, actually, isn't the case as you could choose to pay the fine for not buying insurance). The fact is that a lot of Americans want health insurance, but just can't afford it (this is particularly the case for young adults) and the mandate combined with substantial subsidies will allow them to purchase insurance.
we mandate car insurance because if you cause an accident, then you have coverage for the other driver or those driving with you. I'm not going to cause bodily injury to anyone if I don't have health insurance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2009, 07:13 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,657,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
but I thought that the whole raison d'etre of this so called reform was to bring down costs? no??? The only thing this is sticking to the insurers is more customers to bleed dry and STILL deny them coverage or jack their rates up ... this is NO reform for the American people. It's an even bigger lottery win for the healthcare cartel in this country.

i'm not all about a single payer system either. Germany has a 2 tier program, which folks in the upper income brackets can opt out and pay their own way.

But if this country truly wishes to reform the system, they need to start it out FIRST at the education level ... then they can work their way up the system. I think that heath insurance and pharma companies should help subsidize medical school educations. That way, med students aren't coming into a system 6 figures in debt. hey, it's a thought. doctors work for the health insurance & drug companies anyway, so why not just go all in?
It's a domino kind of thing. To provide insurance that doesn't have a pre existing condition clause, insurance for healthy people had to be mandated to keep private insurance costs from skyrocketing. The third domino is the public option. To lower costs overall the public option had to be available. I believe we'll still see it by the end of this process. The committees charged with combining the two bills between the house and senate will put it back in. In the end, it only takes a majority to pass the final bill and we have 51 senators who are for the public option. done deal. Just giving you a heads up so you can start adjusting your spin before the public option goes into law.

Old 12-25-2009, 07:17 PM

839 posts, read 982,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
we mandate car insurance because if you cause an accident, then you have coverage for the other driver or those driving with you. I'm not going to cause bodily injury to anyone if I don't have health insurance.
If you get hurt and don't have insurance you cause taxpayers to pay for your injuries, you deny income to hospitals and doctors, etc. We require that people buckle up for their own safety, no we try to ensure that they are insured for their own safety and as a benefit to society. Everyone will benefit from the reduced cost of insurance that will result from more people being insured. Poorer families and individuals who don't have health insurance simply because they can't afford it will benefit tremendously from reduced costs combined with subsidies.

Additionally, families of people who get injured will benefit financially; right now if you are uninsured, have a family and sustain terrible injuries then your entire family suffers. If you die, the debt can pass on to your family. My stepfather is dying of colon cancer right now; he's fought it for several years yet has been uninsured this entire time. The debt my family is in now as a result is tremendous; when he dies my mother will become responsible for much of that debt. It's not right that and while this bill won't entirely stop these types of situations from developing, it will help.

Old 12-25-2009, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagran View Post
That's just fairy tales.
Wow, you sure have a compelling argument there, all full of well reasoned arguments and data! I'm convinced!

Old 12-25-2009, 07:25 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,424,163 times
Quote:
Wow, you sure have a compelling argument there, all full of well reasoned arguments and data! I'm convinced!
Wow. Strange response. I made no compelling or well reasoned argument. I made a snide comment. You're easy.

Old 12-25-2009, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Additionally, families of people who get injured will benefit financially; right now if you are uninsured, have a family and sustain terrible injuries then your entire family suffers. If you die, the debt can pass on to your family. My stepfather is dying of colon cancer right now; he's fought it for several years yet has been uninsured this entire time. The debt my family is in now as a result is tremendous; when he dies my mother will become responsible for much of that debt. It's not right that and while this bill won't entirely stop these types of situations from developing, it will help.
You sure about that? Your step father's estate should be responsible for his bills and your mother only if she the guaranteer for the bill. Of course, those laws vary by state...

Old 12-25-2009, 07:29 PM

6,084 posts, read 6,040,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
The third domino is the public option. To lower costs overall the public option had to be available. I believe we'll still see it by the end of this process. The committees charged with combining the two bills between the house and senate will put it back in. In the end, it only takes a majority to pass the final bill and we have 51 senators who are for the public option. done deal. Just giving you a heads up so you can start adjusting your spin before the public option goes into law.
And your source for this is?

Is it right to go along with the party line even if that line is leading you off a cliff?

Old 12-25-2009, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Wow. Strange response. I made no compelling or well reasoned argument. I made a snide comment. You're easy.
While the topic of how easy I am is a discussion for another time and another, more personal, forum, I'm sure you recognized my sarcasm. Unfortunately, your snide comment (and, apparently, my sarcasm) is hard to decipher online... I am only trying to figure out whether you are actually arguing against me or not and if you are it would be far more valuable to the debate were you to actually engage me in conversation.

Old 12-25-2009, 07:37 PM

Quote:
You sure about that? Your step father's estate should be responsible for his bills and your mother only if she the guaranteer for the bill. Of course, those laws vary by state...
Unfortunately, I am sure about it. It's a complex nightmare of a situation. One that I'd really rather not deal with. There's a lot of legal issues involved for a variety of reasons that I neither desire nor am willing to go into here. I appreciate your concern, but I probably shouldn't have even brought it up as an example as I really don't want to discuss it.

Old 12-25-2009, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately, I am sure about it. It's a complex nightmare of a situation. One that I'd really rather not deal with. There's a lot of legal issues involved for a variety of reasons that I neither desire nor am willing to go into here. I appreciate your concern, but I probably shouldn't have even brought it up as an example as I really don't want to discuss it.
No problem. I was hoping, for your family's sake, that you were misinformed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies