Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you using cash more to stick it to the banks?
Yes 27 41.54%
No 21 32.31%
Haven't thought about it 11 16.92%
I plan to 1 1.54%
Using cash it too hard 1 1.54%
Other 4 6.15%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 10:36 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,751,288 times

Advertisements

Are any of you using cash more in order to stick it to the banks?

What's Use Cash? - Use Cash

$7 Billion to get you to use plastic.* - Why? - Use Cash

I never really thought about the effect I could have on the banks bottom line by using cash more.

I plan on switching from Bank of America to a local credit union once I get approved to join the credit union.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2009, 10:39 AM

5,165 posts, read 6,038,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
Are any of you using cash more in order to stick it to the banks?

What's Use Cash? - Use Cash

$7 Billion to get you to use plastic.* - Why? - Use Cash

I never really thought about the effect I could have on the banks bottom line by using cash more.

I plan on switching from Bank of America to a local credit union once I get approved to join the credit union.
Local Credit unions are gaining alot of business from people fed up with the banks.

Credit unions see an Increase in members | WSBT - News, Weather, Sports South Bend | Local News (http://www.wsbt.com/news/local/79652302.html - broken link)

Nationally, credit union membership went up 11 percent in the third quarter this year.
The issue?
More people are growing tired of endless bank fees and they are losing faith in bankers whose irresponsible spending have caused financial trouble for the country

Old 12-24-2009, 10:41 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,774,380 times
Nope, I almost NEVER use cash (unless for vending machines because they don't take credit)... always credit... never ever had a problem with using credit, always paid my bill when its due... ALWAYS... so I guess I am "sticking it" to the bank by paying off my bills... how about people pay their bills in full each month instead? In fact, my credit is so great (~800) I am getting some good offers on other things... its gotten me free stuff too, like GPS, cashback, etc etc... I use credit cards for cashback... with cash, I get ZERO back... hahaha.. I get on average about $20-40 back each month... that will be over $200-400 dollars a year... with paying cash, I LOSE that much money by not using credit... for me its credit all the way!

Old 12-24-2009, 10:42 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,751,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
Local Credit unions are gaining alot of business from people fed up with the banks.

Credit unions see an Increase in members | WSBT - News, Weather, Sports South Bend | Local News (http://www.wsbt.com/news/local/79652302.html - broken link)

Nationally, credit union membership went up 11 percent in the third quarter this year.
The issue?
More people are growing tired of endless bank fees and they are losing faith in bankers whose irresponsible spending have caused financial trouble for the country
I've never incurred any fees from Bank of America. When I was looking around for a local bank, most of them had a bunch of little silly fees BOA didn't have.

I've finally found a local credit union that doesn't charge me a monthly fee and little fees for every little thing.

Old 12-24-2009, 10:45 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,774,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post

The issue?
You have to be careful with some of these credit unions... I have begun to notice that a few of them are trying to profit off their customers now... some have "inactivity" fees... WTH.. its bad enough you have my money in your bank but you want me to spend it all or pay you a fee each month? hehehe... But I do LOVE credit unions... just have to realize that just because they call themselves a "credit union" does not mean they are a real credit union... I keep a credit union cause they give me the best rates when I need a loan while I keep a private bank account where it has most of my money because the interest rates are soo much better...

Old 12-24-2009, 10:49 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,129,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
... always credit... never ever had a problem with using credit, always paid my bill when its due... ALWAYS... so I guess I am "sticking it" to the bank by paying off my bills...
That's the way we've always done it - get the rebates and perks without paying interest, that's the name of the game, right?

Old 12-24-2009, 11:03 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,277,255 times
I'm old school and have always used cash. The only credit card purchases I use are online where they can't be avoided. And I always pay any credit card bills off in full each month.

Old 12-24-2009, 11:28 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,608,811 times
I plan on using cash come the New Year ---- not to stick to the banks but as a way to get my financial house in order ala Dave Ramsey.

Old 12-24-2009, 12:05 PM

20,249 posts, read 19,811,471 times
I don't use cash because I have three credit cards that pay cash rebates of different percentages (2%-5%) on gas, food, drug store purchases, etc and they run specials on other purchases from time to time.

I pay the balances in full each month.

Old 12-24-2009, 12:07 PM

4,002 posts, read 3,894,537 times
I've used cash for years.

If I feel the need to "pay" someone else for the use of "their" money, then I'll find the best bank for the job and hire them (get a loan) .. but if I feel that my money would best be suited to serve me directly, then I'll finance myself, free of charge.

I don't see any reason to pay someone else (via interest) to do, that of which I can do just as easily, or less expensively, myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies