Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 08:57 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,261,277 times

Advertisements

I read this piece after reading much of this stuff on this forum this afternoon. It seems that either the progs here read it before I did or all of them agree about what the recently passed Senate bill provides. I wonder if the lobbyists who were in Dirty Harry's office helping him with that bill the last couple of weeks were all from the insurance industry. Sure sounds like it.

Historic Expansion of Health Insurance Coverage Cedes Control to Medical/Insurance Industries - Consumer Watchdog (http://www.consumerwatchdog.org/patients/articles/?storyId=31921 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2009, 09:01 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,758,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I read this piece after reading much of this stuff on this forum this afternoon. It seems that either the progs here read it before I did or all of them agree about what the recently passed Senate bill provides. I wonder if the lobbyists who were in Dirty Harry's office helping him with that bill the last couple of weeks were all from the insurance industry. Sure sounds like it.

Historic Expansion of Health Insurance Coverage Cedes Control to Medical/Insurance Industries - Consumer Watchdog (http://www.consumerwatchdog.org/patients/articles/?storyId=31921 - broken link)
It is a horrible bill. Worse than anything ever.

Old 12-24-2009, 10:33 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,261,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
It is a horrible bill. Worse than anything ever.
It could be just what you say. It did cost Reid a pile of money to get it passed. It has caused me to wonder just how many lobbyists were in his office with him re-writing this thing over and over.

Old 12-24-2009, 10:53 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
There are only 2 things in the entire bill that do any good.

Other than that, all the bad outweighs that.
It is bad in so many ways.

Old 12-25-2009, 06:05 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,447,121 times
The public option would have made a huge difference. The House has it in their bill, and from what I have read, 59 Senators favor the public option. All it would take is one brave Republican Senator, someone who favors the people and the value of competition rather than coming down as always on the side of big business, to negate the vote of Lieberman.

Old 12-25-2009, 06:27 AM

5,376 posts, read 5,345,485 times
Quote:

What goes in is rarely what comes out, when you have to negotiate for votes, (wonder why few cared about how or why on the way things are done before 2oo9?) but, the blame has to be put on all, as in partisan politics the lobbyists work both sides of the aisle, with many congressional aides receiving sweet deals when they leave the service of their representative, to get them to either say yes or no, or add this or that into the bill.

If you don't condemn the whole process (used by both parties), no matter which way the votes go, you support the process and the outcome, good or bad.

What we (as progressives) got isn't what most of us wanted, but the GOP got exactly what they asked for (and many were paid for) and the system allows. A bad policy created by BOTH parties.

Last edited by plannine; 12-25-2009 at 06:45 AM..

Old 12-25-2009, 08:26 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,425,158 times
Quote:
It seems that either the progs here read it before I did or all of them agree about what the recently passed Senate bill provides. I wonder if the lobbyists who were in Dirty Harry's office helping him with that bill the last couple of weeks were all from the insurance industry. Sure sounds like it.

I've been posting about this stuff all along. The woman who actually wrote the bill is a former insurance company executive. She was hired as an aide just to write the bill.

Old 12-25-2009, 08:46 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,364,890 times
Do they ever think of the consequences of the bills that they pass?With the beni's not kicking in until 2013 what do you think will happen to the rates that the insurance companies charge?The rates are of course going to rise more and thus leaving more people with out coverage.
Even with the gvt subsidy there will be millions and millions that still will not be able to afford health insurance and will be saddled with the $750 fine.Same with the employer,with the rising cost they will be unable to provide coverage and will kick the employees into the exchanges.
I know if in 2013 that the employer I work for does not provide health insurance I will be paying the $750 fine,no way around it since the IRS will be collecting.

Old 12-25-2009, 09:10 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,851,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
The public option would have made a huge difference. The House has it in their bill, and from what I have read, 59 Senators favor the public option. All it would take is one brave Republican Senator, someone who favors the people and the value of competition rather than coming down as always on the side of big business, to negate the vote of Lieberman.
With 160 million unaffected by the bill and that it will slow the rising costs somewhat, it will take longer to get there. But it is inevitable. More and more of the population will start clamoring for it when costs get too painful. The only thing that could alter that, is a massive shift toward Prevention.

Old 12-25-2009, 09:40 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
This is a major win for both insurance and big pharma. Guaranteed income, guaranteed revenue and guaranteed industry security. No generics for 12 years people..12 years instead of the usual 4-5.

This is what you wanted..now you got it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies