Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 05:45 PM

1,530 posts, read 1,532,373 times

Advertisements

My solutions is to have cig companys lower the nicotine little by little. Every month for 12-24 months. Withdraw the nation slowly but surely. If it's done alittle at a time, people wouldn't even notice. Just like any drug--ween them off slowly. (I'm a smoker)

Cigs with no nicotine---choice returns to buyer.

FDA rules the tabacco companies. After listening to this video, I don't think they would try to help Americans with there smoking addiction.
The Great Lie of the Nanny State Government Works Tenth Amendment Center
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2009, 06:14 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,752,651 times
Smokers are slobs and the most inconsiderate people in the world. I don't want them around me.

Old 12-28-2009, 06:18 PM

1,530 posts, read 1,532,373 times
Your entitled to your opinion. That's one of the great things about our Country.

Old 12-28-2009, 06:21 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,240,040 times
I'm sorry but I hate going out for a drink and leaving smelling like smoke. While I've never done anything proactive I'm very glad that the state I live in, Virginia, has a new smoking ban. It's purely aesthetic really. I hate the smell of smoke and don't want to be around it. So applaud any state that puts in a ban.

Old 12-28-2009, 07:58 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,946,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
I'm sorry but I hate going out for a drink and leaving smelling like smoke. While I've never done anything proactive I'm very glad that the state I live in, Virginia, has a new smoking ban. It's purely aesthetic really. I hate the smell of smoke and don't want to be around it. So applaud any state that puts in a ban.
So you applaud any form of freedom restriction as long as it fits your self interest? See the problem?

I can list numerous things I dislike about people and what people do, but I understand what my rights are and what theirs are and I exercise my right when I run into those people. That is, if I go to a place and it has people acting in a manner I disapprove of, I get up and leave.

Our problem today is that people have grown up spoiled and have forgotten what it truly means to be free. They have distorted "freedom" in meaning and have redefined it to fit whatever they want or demand. It is also the first sign (as the founders warned) of a society that is heading down a path of chosen enslavement.

Old 12-28-2009, 08:36 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Quote:
So you applaud any form of freedom restriction as long as it fits your self interest? See the problem?
I don't see the problem. It's like living in filth and it's a public health issue. Smoke away in your own home, but don't inflict it on me. You only have the freedoms society lets you have...and society is speaking out against smoking in public places.

Old 12-28-2009, 08:43 PM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
You can't remove tobacco from the market as you can a faulty toy, have you considered the effects of banning a product that millions of people are addicted too? The addictiveness of nicotine has been compared to heroin and cocaine.
This fact doesn't seem to sink in with non-smokers. They're quick to say: I know hundreds of people who have quit, as if it's as easy to do as flushing a toilet. But for many, the thought of quitting defeats them. Looming in my mind is a father who quit and gained 40 pounds and a sister who, being overweight now, proclaims: At least I'm not smoking!

Ironically, even being a smoker, I can't stand the smell of smoke that doesn't originate from my own cigarette. Additional irony: I smoke in my house but I put smoking restrictions on a smoking renter.

But addictions have strange side effects like that.

A co-worker had a bad car accident a couple months ago, and at the time, she said she was going to walk the 6 blocks to a bus stop from her home, and bus it to work. That lasted a week and she was soon back to driving again, taking the risk it'll never happen again. Just another addiction that's hard to conquer. A healthier, safer alternative rejected.

Addictions come in all colors.

Old 12-28-2009, 11:28 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,659,127 times
Sorry, but it's a matter of public health. If cigarette smoking didn't affect the people around you, then I'd be in favor of overturning the ban, but the toxins from cigarette smoke affect everyone around it. It's very bad for your health.

Old 12-29-2009, 06:19 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,946,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I don't see the problem. It's like living in filth and it's a public health issue. Smoke away in your own home, but don't inflict it on me. You only have the freedoms society lets you have...and society is speaking out against smoking in public places.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Sorry, but it's a matter of public health. If cigarette smoking didn't affect the people around you, then I'd be in favor of overturning the ban, but the toxins from cigarette smoke affect everyone around it. It's very bad for your health.
Go back a few posts to my discussion on SHS and its toxin levels.

The fact is that it is no more harmful than any other toxin you come in contact with daily and by your own choice.

"It is a health risk" is a political spin based on sloppy science. This is a fact.

A barbecue (among many other common ones) has the same level of exposure to toxins. You drink, eat, and breathe these toxins daily and don't seem to have a problem with it.

The core issue of SHS is that it is highly poltical and has been targeted socially as "bad". Combine that with the fact that it smells and people can see it and it is easy to sway people to the cause marketing on those self interests.

You do not have a right to enter a business. It is a privilege given to you by the business owner and they can revoke it without reason anytime they wish.

You do not have a right to work at a business. It is a privilege given to you by the owner and they can refuse to higher you or let you go without a reason.

What you do have a right to is the acceptance of an offer of entry or employment at a business if offered. That is, you can accept the terms the business gives or you can choose not to.

You are not given control when you agree and your opinion as to how the business should be conducted is only as valid as the owner wishes to accept it.

These are the facts of the issue. Like I said though, because the infringement falls in line with the self interest of people, its ok. This is not an issue of laws and safety, that is the cover used for its manipulation of peoples rights. It is simply a bunch of busy bodies exerting control through corrupt government to enforce their self interest on the masses.

Old 12-29-2009, 08:38 AM

8,346 posts, read 7,041,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
So ban it from all bars? Put bars out of business because they lose most of their clientele due to these smoking bans?

Smoking doesn't bother me one bit. It's a personal choice, one that I would not make myself, but I wouldn't shun anyone who made the choice to smoke.

It's ironic that people go on and on about the "selfishness" of smokers and such, but the reason for the support for these smoking bans is so that they don't get smoking "inflicted on them".

Selfishness on both sides, it seems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies