Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2009, 10:58 AM

426 posts, read 1,735,978 times

Advertisements

In almost every city-vs-city topic, the final determination of which city is more amazing at some point inevitably breaks down to one statistic: Diversity. In fact, just ask any person from Toronto what makes their city the best in the world, and they will immediately proceed to slap you as hard as they can across the jaw with the glorious 2-by-4 engraved with the words "Most Multicultural City in the World." That is, if they aren't already wearing it on a t-shirt or hat, which, knowing them, they probably will be. Bad example, though, because Toronto is the only city I've ever been to that actually feels multicultural, rather than a city just feels like it has many separate cultures.

So anyway, what is it about diversity that makes it the absolute defining measuring stick on how great a city is? Why are so many people buying into the idea that diversity is the only thing that could possibly make a city good or worth anything? Does that make cities like Tokyo or Hong Kong bad or inferior cities? And what is diversity, anyway? Are we only talking racial and cultural diversity here, and is ideological diversity - i.e. free thinking and open mindedness - a bad thing? Why is it that the people who are most supportive or racial diversity often react the most vehemently when they have their own rigid pattern of thinking challenged?

I only ask because it really, really confuses me, and it all just seems so perfunctory and self-interested. In some Minneapolis-vs-Denver topic, I actually saw people arguing for several pages about which city had more gay people, and it just blew my freakin' mind. Why are a bunch of straight people attaching to such a statistic when in reality the vast majority of them have no significant interaction with this part of their city's culture? Is it because diversity is "in" and "cool?" And doesn't it just seem a little bit ****ed up and self-interested to be bragging about having them just because they are there? I mean, I've heard many Minneapolitans brag about having "the most Somalians per capita," yet if you spend time there, you'll quickly realize that the Somalian's situation is almost as dire as it was back in Somalia, and that very few of these open-minded paragons of cultural acceptance and understanding are actually doing anything about it, despite apparently appreciating them soooo much! No, they are just looking at them and saying "Thanks for the statistical boost to my civic ego, now go back to your rat-infested apartment!" I mean, think about it...

Know what I mean???? I'm just curious.

Edit: Shortened it up a bit.

Last edited by Bo; 12-28-2009 at 03:09 PM.. Reason: Moved from General US. This is a controversy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2009, 11:39 AM

93,216 posts, read 123,819,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComfortablyNumb View Post
DISCLAIMER: No, despite much of America's inability to see beyond the black-and-white lenses of being flamboyantly pro-diversity and being a klan leading white-supremacist, I am not saying that any race or culture is any less intelligent, capable, or deserving than any other. I do completely acknowledge that we are a "nation of immigrants," that the white man slaughtered an indigenous population, and that the African-American population has dealt with enormous hardship following their enslavement and ensuing/continuing oppression. Furthermore, the following paragraphs are without any hint of opinion or personal bias. I am merely interested in why this situation is the way it is.

*okay*

In almost every city-vs-city topic, the final determination of which city is more amazing at some point inevitably breaks down to one statistic: Diversity. In fact, just ask any person from Toronto what makes their city the best in the world, and they will immediately proceed to slap you as hard as they can across the jaw with the glorious 2-by-4 engraved with the words "Most Multicultural City in the World." That is, if they aren't already wearing it on a t-shirt or hat, which, knowing them, they probably will be. Bad example, though, because Toronto is the only city I've ever been to that actually feels multicultural, rather than a city just feels like it has many separate cultures.

So anyway, what is it about diversity that makes it the absolute defining measuring stick on how great a city is? Why are so many people buying into the idea that diversity is the only thing that could possibly make a city good or worth anything? Does that make cities like Tokyo or Hong Kong bad or inferior cities? And what is diversity, anyway? Are we only talking racial and cultural diversity here, and is ideological diversity - i.e. free thinking and open mindedness - a bad thing? Why is it that the people who are most supportive or racial diversity often react the most vehemently when they have their own rigid pattern of thinking challenged?

Furthermore, what exactly is great about diversity when the actual interaction between the cultures is so minimal? Living in Denver, where there is a very significant Hispanic population, there is very little interaction between the cultures. Neither of the cultures are meshing or assimilating on a significant level. Gone is the melting pot; cities today are a salad bowl. In fact, my friend who goes to the Medical School, which is located in a very Hispanic neighborhood actually got thrown out of a bar for being white! "This isour area", the told him. "Go back to your area!"

I only ask because it really, really confuses me, and it all just seems so perfunctory and self-interested. In some Minneapolis-vs-Denver topic, I actually saw people arguing for several pages about which city had more gay people, and it just blew my freakin' mind. Why are a bunch of straight people attaching to such a statistic when in reality the vast majority of them have no significant interaction with this part of their city's culture? Is it because diversity is "in" and "cool?" And doesn't it just seem a little bit ****ed up and self-interested to be bragging about having them just because they are there? I mean, I've heard many Minneapolitans brag about having "the most Somalians per capita," yet if you spend time there, you'll quickly realize that the Somalian's situation is almost as dire as it was back in Somalia, and that very few of these open-minded paragons of cultural acceptance and understanding are actually doing anything about it, despite apparently appreciating them soooo much! No, they are just looking at them and saying "Thanks for the statistical boost to my civic ego, now go back to your rat-infested apartment!" I mean, think about it...

I don't know if Americans are necessarily "obsessed" with diversity considering the fact that schools have become supposedly more segregated than they were about 20-25 years ago and it's not something that everyone brings up on here.

I think the thing about "diversity" is the ability to interact with someone that brings a different perspective than your own in terms of culture, lifestyle, history, economics, etc. That might also be due to the fact that the world is getting smaller due to continual advances in technology and the globalization of economics. So, it's almost a reality of life now that if you want to get ahead, you will have to have the ability to interact in some way shape or form with those "different" than you. Personally, I think the team sports world and the military are ahead of the curve in that aspect, because you have no choice but to work together toward a common goal.

I do get your point about how it seems like people are a bit fake or go overboard about "diversity" in that they know where it is or play it up, but have a limited interaction with or keep it at a distance, in a sense.

Old 12-25-2009, 11:50 AM

631 posts, read 1,227,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComfortablyNumb View Post
DISCLAIMER: No, despite much of America's inability to see beyond the black-and-white lenses of being flamboyantly pro-diversity and being a klan leading white-supremacist, I am not saying that any race or culture is any less intelligent, capable, or deserving than any other. I do completely acknowledge that we are a "nation of immigrants," that the white man slaughtered an indigenous population, and that the African-American population has dealt with enormous hardship following their enslavement and ensuing/continuing oppression. Furthermore, the following paragraphs are without any hint of opinion or personal bias. I am merely interested in why this situation is the way it is.

*okay*

Furthermore, what exactly is great about diversity when the actual interaction between the cultures is so minimal? Living in Denver, where there is a very significant Hispanic population, there is very little interaction between the cultures. Neither of the cultures are meshing or assimilating on a significant level. Gone is the melting pot; cities today are a salad bowl. In fact, my friend who goes to the Medical School, which is located in a very Hispanic neighborhood actually got thrown out of a bar for being white! "This isour area", the told him. "Go back to your area!"

It all boils down too my city is better than your city like you said.. Its like a Competetion thing. regardless if they interact with these petty things are not they gotta prove that We have more of this and that.. No one wants there city being looked as being less of anything so they dig up facts from wikipedia to prove these things...

Are we have chanel and jimmy choo stores so we have better shoppping when half of these people dont even shop at those places. they spend most of there time in Old Navy and Macys

Old 12-25-2009, 12:09 PM

426 posts, read 1,735,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudeBoy21 View Post
It all boils down too my city is better than your city like you said.. Its like a Competetion thing. regardless if they interact with these petty things are not they gotta prove that We have more of this and that.. No one wants there city being looked as being less of anything so they dig up facts from wikipedia to prove these things...

Are we have chanel and jimmy choo stores so we have better shoppping when half of these people dont even shop at those places. they spend most of there time in Old Navy and Macys
Good point. American's thinking is just very, very competitive and weird. If someone points out a single flaw or shortcoming, we just take it way too seriously.... I suppose that's why we are such an unhappy country in many ways.

Old 12-25-2009, 12:36 PM

93,216 posts, read 123,819,554 times
Quote:

That's true, as the criteria sometimes determines what it is that people want to show that they have.

Old 12-25-2009, 12:37 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,197,088 times
Quote:

That's why I say most cities have great shopping because I know the majority of the people on here don't casually shop at stores like Dior, Jimmy Choo, Chanel, and more.

Old 12-25-2009, 12:44 PM

2,155 posts, read 4,579,610 times
I view diversity as a great thing because I like being exposed to different cultures, try all types of food and so on. I don't know about all the people on here, but it probably has something to do with those bragging rights. I think just about every major city has some representation of many different cultures, whether they are represented big or small.

Old 12-25-2009, 12:55 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,800,248 times
I would think it's because Americans are such a diverse group of people...what other country's citizens have such diverse backgrounds?

Old 12-25-2009, 01:15 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,498,822 times
well the difference in the cultures being ingrained in the cities is very different than actually having those people there, and often only in the metro. When you have stuff like SF with the mission district and gigantic chinatown and Chicago with Pilsen, etc and the national mexican museum of art and a gigantic latin festival in grant park... then you can start talking. Just using those as I am most familiar with those two cities... There are only a handful of cities where there are significant cultural integration within city life, not living in a suburban pocket somewhere and want to include that, what a joke. Otherwise they just happen to live there, so what if you aren't interacting on a daily basis and participating in their stuff. Any city with a job market is going to attract a decent amount. Also there is a big difference when these populations are upwardly mobile and successful in the community vs. just an underclass of migrants.
Minneapolis and Denver were mentioned and they are a joke as far as diversity goes compared to the usual suspects... LA/sf/chi/nyc/dc/mia , really doesn't get much more white bread vanilla at that population level.

Old 12-25-2009, 01:28 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,914,467 times
I agree with the OP on many points but do enjoy interacting with other cultures myself. I have friends from all over the world. But my issue is when people start acting that objectively diversity is somehow better than homogeneity or vice versa. And it's usually a bunch of white people promoting it. My pet peeve is when diversity starts getting measured by how few white people are in an area as if that is somehow a good thing and not racist...when in reality a lot of white people can live in an area and it still be culturally diverse.

I think many Americans are lazy and want the world to come to them instead of getting off their a**es and seeing the world with their own eyes! I mean, you can pat yourself on the back if you want but are you really worldly if you venture into the Arab sections of Michigan and eat shawarma a couple times a year?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies