Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 07:05 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,258,436 times

Advertisements

I got an e-mail regarding how we the People can effect the economy and actually lower gas prices. . . And it doesn't require us to stop driving (of course driving less is good). It's pretty simple.. . The fact is Exon and Mobile are the two largest oil companies. So the idea is to not buy gas from these two. If everyone in the country would get gas at other stations eventually they would lower their prices, and for competitive purposes all the other companies would have to follow suit. t I know many people already boycott Exon because of Chavez but if more people would do this we the People could really effect a change for the positive. . Thoughts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2007, 07:11 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,116,943 times
In at least two towns I am familiar with, the petrol stations were owned by one family and/or corporation. They had a lock on the price of gas, and neither was an Exxon or Mobil station. In fact, many areas don't have either.

But if we purchased our petrol from a local station, like Joe's and Joe knew we were selecting his station to keep prices down and recognize his independence, perhaps we'd make some in-roads.

Citgo and Cumberland Farms here in New England appear to have lower prices and some of the local stations are asking for cash, no credit, to keep prices down. And they even pump for ya.

Old 05-21-2007, 07:16 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
I think the best way to effect the price of gas would be to reduce demand.

Old 05-21-2007, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I think the best way to effect the price of gas would be to reduce demand.
Well, Burdell I think we all agree on that. However most people are unwilling to change their habits. I think this is an idea that would work, it is at least worth a try.

Old 05-21-2007, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
Well, Burdell I think we all agree on that. However most people are unwilling to change their habits. I think this is an idea that would work, it is at least worth a try.

Wel, I think if you project into the future there's not much doubt, choice or not, things will change. I'd prefer to change while we still have a chance to choose what direction that change will take.

And there are simple, easy ways to start. Instead of backing your 5,000 pound vehicle out of the garage and driving 1/2 mile to the store, walk. It'd do us all a lot of good and done often enough by enough people would be a good start towards changing habits.

Old 05-21-2007, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Wel, I think if you project into the future there's not much doubt, choice or not, things will change. I'd prefer to change while we still have a chance to choose what direction that change will take.

And there are simple, easy ways to start. Instead of backing your 5,000 pound vehicle out of the garage and driving 1/2 mile to the store, walk. It'd do us all a lot of good and done often enough by enough people would be a good start towards changing habits.
Yes, Burdell but we can do something right now. To expect people to sell their car today is not realistic. This is something that could pay dividends in the near future to your and my pocketbooks.

Old 05-21-2007, 08:08 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,628,367 times
Reducing use is the only effective way to reduce prices. Supply and demand. If we keep demanding the same amount of fuel or more, there will be no reason for the oil companies to drop pricing unless the production and refining is increased quiet a bit.

I understand people don't want to change their habits, but until they want to, simply buying the same amount of gas across the street from Exxon is going to do little to nothing to change prices. Reducing overall consumption is the only way to make a moderate to large impact on pricing. j

Old 05-21-2007, 08:24 AM

1,652 posts, read 2,549,273 times
FYI, Chavez = Venezuela = CITGO, not Exxon.

Old 05-21-2007, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
Yes, Burdell but we can do something right now. To expect people to sell their car today is not realistic. This is something that could pay dividends in the near future to your and my pocketbooks.

I think too many people think they must become some version of a radical tree hugger to have an affect when the truth is a few hundred million people doing small thngs can make a big difference. Somewhere I read how much water would be saved if we simply shot the tap off while we brushed our teeth, the number was incredible. I think just trying to be a little concious of energy use could make a similar difference. Simple things like not running a car for 15 minutes with the AC on before you get in and go when 2 minutes with the windows open might do just as well.

Old 05-21-2007, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
FYI, Chavez = Venezuela = CITGO, not Exxon.
oops, i get my oil companies mixed up. You are soo right. So, lets see, say no to Exxon, Mobile, and CITGO. Thanks for straightening me out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies