Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is it?
Yes 1 2.86%
No 34 97.14%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 08:49 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,516,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtAJC View Post
. We can then allow people into this country based on their talents and what they bring to the table instead of taking water drinkers from all over the world, we can begin taking "engineers", "doctors", "biochemists", etc, etc, etc....

Er..........been doing that for years sport. Science in academia, especially at the Masters and Doctorate levels, is 80% non U.S. citizens enrolled, and many of these students will someday become citizens.

I wish them nothing but success, this country offers more to someone from another nation than any nation on earth, and is what has always made the United States one of the greatest nations, if not the greatest nation, in thew world.

However, it is the government, and its policies, that is literally choking off the middle class and causing a tiny group of haves, and the other 95% to be destitute (by comparison).

What do you think the CEO and stockholders of Haliburton/KBR are worth these days? When you no longer manufacture anything in America except missiles, bombs and various implements of warfare you are bound to become hated by the rest of the world, and we are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2009, 08:50 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,119,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justcause View Post
Is it an immoral, traitorous thing to do? To just pick up and leave? I often find that people will move from one state to another because of politics or economic situations, but what about leaving the country altogether because it is just too collectively backasswards, and you don't want to wait for it to change?
Nope. I don't consider it immoral. In fact, if you don't want to be here, I don't want you here.

Adios Amigos.

Old 12-26-2009, 08:58 AM

10,793 posts, read 13,543,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justcause View Post
Is it an immoral, traitorous thing to do? To just pick up and leave? I often find that people will move from one state to another because of politics or economic situations, but what about leaving the country altogether because it is just too collectively backasswards, and you don't want to wait for it to change?
Your question is flawed......

plus....is there some where else on earth that bigotry and discrimination don't exist? Hey ...get me a ticket!

Old 12-26-2009, 09:08 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,387,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
Your question is flawed......

plus....is there some where else on earth that bigotry and discrimination don't exist? Hey ...get me a ticket!
I was going to say Antarctica, but I'm sure there's a penguin or two that doesn't like the others particular shade of black and white...
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKrunner88 View Post
I was espousing my own belief, not trying to throw my belief onto others. By "we" I meant those like me. I really could care less what you believe.
there sure are a lot of people on here that think others care about them. I'm sure their mommy does, though.

Old 12-26-2009, 09:08 AM

417 posts, read 365,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
You had me until you threw in your god-thing.
I have no god-thing and lead a pretty decent life.
One of the reasons why I'll move out of the US, crazy religious zealots.

I was espousing my own belief, not trying to throw my belief onto others. By "we" I meant those like me. I really could care less what you believe.

Old 12-26-2009, 10:06 AM

88,562 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
ALL countries have a child-sex trade....ALL.
Of course, but Thailand, in particular, is known for it and being open about it without much fear of recrimination.

I live on the Jersey shore, and it's not an everyday thing here that a fat hairy guy in speedos can sit on the beach and order a 7-year-old boy for sexual purposes and have him delivered. On the beaches in Thailand, he can.

Old 12-26-2009, 10:09 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,146,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Of course, but Thailand, in particular, is known for it and being open about it without much fear of recrimination.

I live on the Jersey shore, and it's not an everyday thing here that a fat hairy guy in speedos can sit on the beach and order a 7-year-old boy for sexual purposes and have him delivered. On the beaches in Thailand, he can.
No, but any kind of person whether fat or hairy or neither can have one sent to his hotel room or his own home....it exists here....and everywhere.

Location of the crime isn't relevent.

Old 12-26-2009, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Apparently you know very little about Thailand.
Sex trade is not so grand, about 3% GDP. From Wiki:

Estimates of the number of prostitutes vary widely and are subject to controversy. A 1980 study put the number of prostitutes in Thailand at 500,000 to 700,000. A 2004 estimate by Dr. Nitet Tinnakul from Chulalongkorn University gives a total of 2.8 million sex workers in Thailand, including 2 million women, 20,000 adult males and 800,000 minors under the age of 18.[2] One estimate published in 2003 placed the trade at US$ 4.3 billion per year or about three percent of the Thai economy.[3] It has been suggested for example that there may be as many as 10,000 prostitutes on Ko Samui alone, an island resort destination not usually associated with prostitution, and that at least 10% of tourist dollars may be spent on the sex trade.[4]

The US also has a significant sex trade.

The sad fact is that the sex trade in America is made up of commercially exploited young people. According to a 2001 study from the University of Pennsylvania, each year there are 200,000 to 300,000 youths in the United States who are commercially sexually exploited or at risk of being exploited.

In New York City, the most frequent age of initiation into prostitution is 14 to 15 years old. These children not only are tortured by their pimps and johns, but also are punished by the juvenile justice systems while the pimps and johns often go unpunished.

You are welcome to see what you want in any culture.
I know Thailand pretty well.
I've never encountered the "sex trade" industry. I know it exists but is localized and is frequently a result of abject poverty.

The Thai culture is so much more than that.

If you want to see sad sex trade, check out Cambodia.

You obviously accept it in the US then, because you only hate it in other countries.

Didn't Rush Limbaugh go on a pedophile trip to Central America?

I've been to Thailand numerous times and speak a bit of the language, Tinman does a s well.
You can hate other countries all you like, but sometimes they offer what your culture cannot or will not.
We're all welcome to move where we like, if in deed we're ever lucky enough to find out where we fit best.
I just LOVE posters who read things into posts that were never said...what do you hope to gain by saying something like that? And then leaps to hating other countries..geez.

I have never watched Rush Limbaugh, so you who do watch him will have to clue me in as to his travel plans.

Old 12-26-2009, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
No, but any kind of person whether fat or hairy or neither can have one sent to his hotel room or his own home....it exists here....and everywhere.

Location of the crime isn't relevent.
Well, I personally think fat hairy men in speedos should be banned everywhere, but that's just my opinion.

And yes, I'm well aware that child prostitution exists in the US...sigh...

Old 12-26-2009, 10:28 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,277,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Well, I personally think fat hairy men in speedos should be banned everywhere, but that's just my opinion.

And yes, I'm well aware that child prostitution exists in the US...sigh...
Your post was clearly saying that the Thais were so much worse than anywhere else.
As I said, I've been to Thailand well over a dozen times for a month at a time; and never encounter the sex trades and wouldn't unless I were looking for it.

You're the one who made the purposely misleading comment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies