Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2009, 09:04 AM

634 posts, read 1,558,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWashington View Post
who cares about the rest of the wrold really? Who? Unless you are a citizen of another country who cares?! What good does it do me personally to know anything about Peru or Zimbabwe? Where does that get me in life? It makes a ton more sense to concentrate on what is right in front of you so you can make the best life possible IN THE COUNTRY YOU LIVE IN!
This attitude is the problem. We are not isolated and we are all connected.

Unfortunately this is how way too many think all over the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 10:30 AM

2,735 posts, read 2,463,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HubbleRules View Post
Your answers and statistics are meaningless unless you post a reference to your statistics - I have done that -twice.

You need to become more educated on how to provide references for your information... You need to be specific as to where you got your numbers so others can review the source..

Rule one in being an educated writer.
So I am going to give you the source, which obviously is in German since its a german agency, and then youll tell me that you cannot read it.
I even think its not allowed to post anything that is not english (I might be wrong though).

Here Especially for you I found this in English from the Federal Statistic Office:
Federal Statistical Office - Migrants, too, profiting from positive labour market trend in 2007 (http://www.destatis.de/jetspeed/portal/cms/Sites/destatis/Internet/EN/press/pr/2008/11/PE08__447__122.psml - broken link)

"The population with a migrant background comprises all people having immigrated into Germanysince 1950 as well as their descendants. Available data refer, among other things, to the year of their arrival in Germany, to citizenship and a potential naturalisation. In 2007, there were 7.3 million foreigners , amounting to 8.9% of the total population. The number of Germans with a migrant background made up 8.1 million or 9.9% of the population."

Making up 18 % of the population.

From wikipedia:

"More than 16 million people are of non-German descent (first and second generation, including mixed heritage), about seven million of which are foreign residents."

Demographics of Germany - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-30-2009, 11:29 AM

108 posts, read 61,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllenArlingtonPark View Post
This attitude is the problem. We are not isolated and we are all connected.

Unfortunately this is how way too many think all over the world.
so tell me, what does knowing about Peru do for me in my life living in America? It doesn't do anything.....

BTW,
HOW are we connected?

Old 12-30-2009, 12:02 PM

88,567 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
so tell me, what does knowing about Peru do for me in my life living in America? It doesn't do anything.....

BTW,
HOW are we connected?
The Inca had a vast empire in Peru before smallpox and the Spaniards got there. They first cultivated the potato, which was the main starch staple of their civilization, even to the point of drying it and mashing it into a grain-type food.

Now the potato is a basic food crop in the United States.

See? We are connected by spuds. Remember Peru the next time you say yes to "Do you want fries with that?"

Old 12-30-2009, 12:33 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,183,316 times
Knowing about the outside world is beneficial to make informed opinions. Too many Americans have false notions about the world.
For example, in the current health care debate, those nations that have universal coverage (and are rated higher by the WHO) do not provide inferior treatment, nor do patients die for lack of treatment.
Other examples:
America is not the only land of freedom.
Europeans are not closet commies.

Old 12-30-2009, 12:50 PM

105 posts, read 265,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zekester View Post
Have you ever seen Jay Leno do his "Jaywalking" bit. He goes out into the street and asks people at random questions like what countries border the U.S.

He gets a lot of blank stares and some very wrong answers. He claims that he never has to interview more than 10-15 people to get some major league stupid answers.

I saw another segment where a man on the street asked several people if they could name a country that starts with the letter U. Well, there is Uganda and Uzebekestan, but these people didn't even guess their own country: the United States.

Why? Discuss.
Our society has determined that 2 weeks of vacation or no vacation is a good thing. Not really enough time to get over jet lag and do a tour of South East Asia. So why bother to learn about a place you will never go?

Old 12-30-2009, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
The Inca had a vast empire in Peru before smallpox and the Spaniards got there. They first cultivated the potato, which was the main starch staple of their civilization, even to the point of drying it and mashing it into a grain-type food.

Now the potato is a basic food crop in the United States.

See? We are connected by spuds. Remember Peru the next time you say yes to "Do you want fries with that?"
thanks, I'm going to add that to my resume and up my salary 100k! I really do feel smarter and worth more money now!

Old 12-30-2009, 12:55 PM

Quote:
who cares about the rest of the wrold really? Who? Unless you are a citizen of another country who cares?! What good does it do me personally to know anything about Peru or Zimbabwe? Where does that get me in life? It makes a ton more sense to concentrate on what is right in front of you so you can make the best life possible IN THE COUNTRY YOU LIVE IN!
It would help you tremendously to live better in the country you live in by looking outside it and comparing your way of life with that of others.

Think about it like this, would it benefit a company to also learn about its other competitors so as to stay abreast of the market and keep it competitive?

Its the same thing on a personal level. But you will never realize this until you get out and see the world...and not from a computer. You don't know what you don't know.

Old 12-30-2009, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epularis View Post
It would help you tremendously to live better in the country you live in by looking outside it and comparing your way of life with that of others.

Think about it like this, would it benefit a company to also learn about its other competitors so as to stay abreast of the market and keep it competitive?

Its the same thing on a personal level. But you will never realize this until you get out and see the world...and not from a computer. You don't know what you don't know.
I'm not competing for life with people from other countries. I know I have a better life than a lot of people from other countries, there is nothing to compare IMHO.

Old 12-30-2009, 01:08 PM

Quote:
I'm not competing for life with people from other countries. I know I have a better life than a lot of people from other countries, there is nothing to compare IMHO.
No.

You think you have a life better than them. You don't know it. You have never had the experience of being there so you do not know anything about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies