Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 02:04 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,960,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
I dont want it. Period. If I get sick, I'LL deal with it. Uncle Sam neednt stick his nose in it.
Could you cough up the $20,000 or so that a simple appendectomy is likely to set you back?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2009, 04:32 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,186,006 times
Quote:
Why should a Doctor have to "Fight" with anyone to get a scan done? Doesn't this show you how bad the present system is?

To be fair, in reality "fight" means "fill out the right form". It's not usually a big deal unless it's something experimental in nature. It's just a matter of crossing all the "t"s and dotting all the "i"s.

Old 12-27-2009, 05:14 PM

639 posts, read 1,142,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustGinger View Post
Keeping foster kids we have experienced first hand what single payer will be like. Take a three year old and a ten month old to our clinic because they have the flu. The baby got so very sick so fast I was afraid she would not survive. Being very malnourished to begin with did not help. We had just had them a few days when they were hit with it. All treatment was denied because it (tamiflu) was not a cure just a remedy. I could not administer it even if I bought it out of pocket because the Dr. was not allowed to prescribe it. I was given samples of other meds to help them feel better from the Dr. but not the tamiflu they really needed.
Now St. Louis Children's Hospital has quit taking their medical cards because my state does not pay fast enough. So we are afraid to take anymore special needs children because of the medical. Single Payer will kill them. They will not get the MRI's to monitor the tumor growth in the brain. Nope Nope Nope..
It will be like the VA where my husband Drs. He has to make an appointment to make an appointment.
Now Ginger please don't let your FACTS get in the way of people's opinions. You have experienced a form of socialized medicine first hand and I can see and understand how unhappy you are. Not ONE person commented on your post!!!!!

Old 12-27-2009, 05:25 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,843,220 times
They will have to learn to accept it... Look at other third world countries and the "medicine" they have... when you know of nothing better and have access to nothing better, you will just accept it cause you fear it will cost more just to "change" it... so yes, Americans will have to accept with lower care (or cheaper care) BUT for those who can afford it, they will always get better care... because they will pay for it... others want to cheapen it and like the old saying "You get what you pay for"... they will whine and complain but live "with it" regardless... if there is one thing I have learned, Americans are very, very, extremely cheap (speaking for the majority, not the minority)...

Old 12-27-2009, 05:54 PM

2,557 posts, read 5,858,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
when the older physicians quit and the younger physicians proceed to treat patients based on cost effective government guidelines?

Not this American, baby!

Old 12-27-2009, 05:58 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,960,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
They will have to learn to accept it... Look at other third world countries and the "medicine" they have... when you know of nothing better and have access to nothing better, you will just accept it cause you fear it will cost more just to "change" it...
I've lived in two first-world countries with different sorts of UHC, as well as having lived in the US for the better part of a decade. As far as I can tell, the actual care is pretty much on par - then again, I have what is supposed to be good insurance. In general terms, I'd have no qualms about getting treated in a German or Danish hospital as compared to a US one. None. (For specific exotic ailments, some hospitals have a way better track record, obviously.)

That being said, there's an absolutely ridiculous amount of paperwork in the US system. It is expensive, it is maddeningly time-consuming, and it does absolutely nothing towards the actual task of saving the health and lives of us poor *******s who are paying for it.

Quote:
BUT for those who can afford it, they will always get better care...
Obviously. The rich will do OK, and good on them.

Quote:
they will whine and complain but live "with it" regardless...
For those currently uninsurable, getting some sort of coverage is a major improvement.

Old 12-27-2009, 06:25 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,685,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post

To be fair, in reality "fight" means "fill out the right form". It's not usually a big deal unless it's something experimental in nature. It's just a matter of crossing all the "t"s and dotting all the "i"s.
Ya think? Not always. It is always possible for the insurance company to deny the treatment b/c it was not "medically necessary". In the example I gave, we were talking about an EMERGENCY. The kid had sustained a head injury! Was the dr. supposed to be filling out forms, crossing "t"s and dotting "i"s at a time like that? The dr. saw the child, knew how he looked, acted, etc. It was his prerogative to order the test, not for some flunky at an insurance co to make that decision three days or so later.

Old 12-27-2009, 06:30 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,118,028 times
I am not satisfied with the quality of health care now. I doubt that it's going to be any worse. I don't think it CAN be any worse.

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-27-2009, 06:48 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,234,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
I guess we'll see those doctors in the unemployment line.

Yeah, right. Who are these doctors that work on a cash-only basis?

Wow! You know a lot of doctors.

We're all gonna die! Just look at the other industrialized nations and the hundreds of millions of people who die every minute of every day because of their evil socialized healthcare systems. I've heard that there's only two people left in Canada, and they're both doctors. Go figure.
"Doctors Are Opting Out of Medicare"

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/02/bu.../02health.html

"Note to Medicaid Patients: The Doctor Won’t See You."

Note to Medicaid Patients: The Doctor Won’t See You. « SF Gray Panthers

"Fewer doctors willing to treat Medicaid patients"

Extreme Choices: Fewer doctors willing to treat Medicaid patients

I've been in doctors offices that have signs posted that they DO NOT except medicare or medicaid.

Old 12-27-2009, 06:55 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,234,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
I know a whole lot of people who are not satisfied with the quality of their healthcare now based on present health insurance reimbursement guidelines!
That would depend on what type police they have and that is what bothers so many people about the government getting into the health care business...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies