Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 08:06 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,409,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
How much is my co-pay? What's that? You have no idea? Ignorance, indeed.
Your co-pay is irrelevant. What is relevant is the time a doctor has to pay staff to render care to a patient with a managed care plan. Most managed care plans pay based on Medicare rates. Chances are your doctor makes no and likely loses money when he or she sees you. The only way a doctor who accepts insurance can make money is based on the amount of patients he or she can see in a day. That is not quality care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2009, 08:08 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,657,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
The hippocratic oath does NOT require a physician to accept 3rd party payment for their services.

The ignorance in this thread is astounding.
As I said in my post you quoted, you will parse it down to dollars and cents and bottom line responsibilities. You and many like you have lost all touch with the moral aspects of the medical profession.

Old 12-26-2009, 08:09 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,556,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
The ignorance of people not working in the medical field is even more mind boggling.
What do you do in the medical field? I am a Pediatric ICU nurse.

Quote:
You twist my words and you are completely clueless about the danger of having a government health care panel. Many of the younger docs do not want to be bothered with the hassle of fighting HMOs for necessary tests. That has been my experience. They are already paid poorly for their services. I couldn't care less whether you believe that or not.
The health insurance companies currently review all in-patient procedures, but you know that as you are in the field. The utilization review teams already have powers to veto procedures and surgeries regardless of the age of the prescribing doctor. The one absolute is that physicians have come to rely on procedures to diagnose instead of relying on procedures to confirm diagnoses. Good old-fashioned medicine has not been practiced for decades because of lazy doctors and demanding patients, and that will surely change, and in my opinion, that is NOT a bad thing.

Old 12-26-2009, 08:10 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
Quote:
The vast majority of doctors do not perform expensive procedures. The intelligent physician will just say no to government funded programs that result in decreased reimbursment and increased overhead.
I suppose I learned today that every physician has a waiting list of patients eager to pay cash on the barrelhead.

Old 12-26-2009, 08:10 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,523,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
So in your opinion there are no related associated costs to the physician to accept your insurance plan? No administrative overhead? No claims to be filed even if all your procedures are pre-approved? No discounts for their services as part of your contract?
What on earth are you talking about? What kind of ridiculous question is this? Of course there are costs. There are always costs associated with doing business.
Quote:
You are only looking at this from the patient perspective and not as a business transaction where where the physician supplies a service that you (or your insurance on your behalf) pay for.
Is there a point to this? That there are probably several hundred doctors in all medical fields who contract with Hometown Health tells me that something is working. If there were better options for these physicians, why have they contracted with my insurance carrier?

I'm looking at this from a logical perspective. That I am also a patient is only coincidental.

Old 12-26-2009, 08:11 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,338,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtAJC View Post
I guess we can speak further about it in ten years and make an assessment then. All I know is that Daniel Hannan, a politician in the British Parliament, has warned that America would be making a HUGE mistake by nationalizing health care and that once you take that first baby step there will be no turning back. I love my present insurance but am sure eventually this country will go to single payer whether it bankrupts us or not.......More examples of the producers paying for the water drinkers......Don't you guys know that government programs always come in under estimated budget??? Ludicrous......
The UK has government run health care.
Even the doctors are on government payroll.
That's not what the US is doing.
Daniel Hannan doesn't know what he's talking about.

Old 12-26-2009, 08:11 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,409,326 times
Mohawkx, with all due respect no person would spend all those years training to be a doctor to have to have see 70 or more patients a day to make a profit.

Old 12-26-2009, 08:12 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,323,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
As I said in my post you quoted, you will parse it down to dollars and cents and bottom line responsibilities. You and many like you have lost all touch with the moral aspects of the medical profession.
You you were never in touch with the medical profession so stop pretending to be in the know because you read about the hippocratic oath somewhere on the internet.

Doctors and healthcare professionals (the vast majority of them) go into the business to help people, not to be bogged down in bureaucratic paperwork and contracts to discount their services.

Old 12-26-2009, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Your co-pay is irrelevant.
Not to the omniscient.
Quote:
What is relevant is the time a doctor has to pay staff to render care to a patient with a managed care plan. Most managed care plans pay based on Medicare rates. Chances are your doctor makes no and likely loses money when he or she sees you. The only way a doctor who accepts insurance can make money is based on the amount of patients he or she can see in a day. That is not quality care.
What nonsense. First, the rightwingers scream, "But 85% of us are already covered. We don't need no stinkin' health care reform." Now you're telling me that doctors are losing money because of this. Who's smoking crack again?

Old 12-26-2009, 08:15 PM

Quote:
I was the one who said you were smoking crack if you believed that doctors were dependent on the current health care system.
Uh...that's a nonsensical statement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies