Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2010, 06:52 PM

7,922 posts, read 9,144,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyanger View Post
I think eventually it's going to turn out that the true cause of the increase in prevalence of autism is due to either anthropomorphic climate change or the increased use of silicone breast implants.
Lots of possible causes, or at least correlations. Lots of things have changed in the environment in the last 20-30 years. Cell phones, microwaves, different antibiotics used to treat resisted strains etc.

My theory (and only mine no scientific study done) is that autism has risen in direct proportion to the amount of OCD diagnoses in adults. OCD was relatively rare in the past and now so many people are on Paxil etc. More OCD parents equals more OCD kids (autism). Also the criterion was changed over the years as another poster posted, making it easier to diagnose a spectrum disorder. Couple that with big money being made by providers that treat this population and knowledgable parents who know that Johnny won't get Early Intervention speech for an expressive speech delay, but will get it if he is also on the spectrum and all this added together equals a large rise in Autism.

Of course this does not account for every possible Autism case, but I think it could explain why the numbers of Autistic kids have grown larger, and why some have been "cured". The reason they were cured is because they never had it in the first place. Misdiagnosis is rampant in Autism as it is based largely on clinical opinion and not something tangible like a blood test or MRI result.

Old 09-28-2010, 06:58 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,269,573 times
[quote=Eleanora1;16066109]Because they changed the diagnostic criteria.

You'd need to have hand flapping to be diagnosed as autistic then. You don't today.

Yesterday everyone was emotionally disturbed or mentally retarded or learning disabled. Today they're autistic.

You do understand this FACT, right? Because the courts will.

How does it feel to argue against basic public health measures? To put little babies at risk from whooping cough because you think vaccines cause autism? How does it feel to advocate in favor of dangerous and contagious diseases?

Tell me.[/quot the only basic public health measure one needs is to wash hands before preparing or eating food. You come across as very pompous and ignorant to the possible severe side effects of vaccines. Why has the government payed out billions in compensation to vaccine injured children and their families if it were not true.You do understand this FACT, right?How does it feel to advocate in facvour of dangerous vaccines.

Old 09-28-2010, 06:59 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,960,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyanger View Post
I think eventually it's going to turn out that the true cause of the increase in prevalence of autism is due to either anthropomorphic climate change or the increased use of silicone breast implants.
I blame the fall of Communism. That, too, took place in the late 1980s.

Old 09-28-2010, 07:34 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,685,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
Are you quite sure about that?
Yes (regarding autism rates in immunized v unimmunized children)

MMR vaccine is not linked with autism, says Danish study

Lead author Dr Kreesten Meldgaard Madsen, an epidemiologist and expert on infectious diseases at the Danish Epidemiology Science Centre in Aarhus, told the BMJ that the study showed that the risk of autism was similar in children who were vaccinated and children who were not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
I blame the fall of Communism. That, too, took place in the late 1980s.
Maybe it was the rise in the use of SUVs.

CORRELATION DOES NOT EQUAL CAUSATION!!!

Old 09-28-2010, 07:35 PM

3,004 posts, read 3,884,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I read a book written by one of the vaccine/autism researchers. He disputes that symptoms developed right after MMR vaccination. He states that with everyone having video cameras these days, videos of first birthday parties of autistic kids show that most of these kids already have autistic symptoms. MMR vaccine cannot be given before the first birthday, and is usually given at age 15 months.

This is by far the most absurd comment on this thread thus far. How many home videos did this man observe? And he can diagnose autism from a home video. Complete BS. This is part of what I mean by bullying. You are attempting to entirely discredit ALL the parents who have made intelligent and accurate observations of their children, as if they could ALL be wrong!

Absurd.

Old 09-28-2010, 07:42 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,685,448 times
Quote:
This is by far the most absurd comment on this thread thus far. How many home videos did this man observe? And he can diagnose autism from a home video. Complete BS. This is part of what I mean by bullying. You are attempting to entirely discredit ALL the parents who have made intelligent and accurate observations of their children, as if they could ALL be wrong!

Absurd.
Glad you can make that conclusion without having read the book. I'm not attempting to discredit anyone. I'm saying what this researcher observed.

Old 09-28-2010, 08:47 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,251,551 times
Quote:

Absurd.

Pediatricians can spot signs of autism a lot earlier than parents. The problem is that parents don't want to hear it /listen to their pediatricians and need something to blame.

I'm not saying that a vaccine didn't trigger, exacerbate, bring to light something that was already there - it just might have. But it doesn't mean that NOT having vaxed would have changed the end result.

Old 09-28-2010, 09:22 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,555,831 times
Quote:
I don't understand your comment that developmental milestones are difficult to establish prior to age 18 months. ? That makes no sense whatsoever, unless I've misunderstood your meaning. There are numerous developmental milestones that are met between birth and 18 years of age.
I'm obviously talking about milestones pertinent to establishing a diagnosis of ASD, not general milestones. Early assessment of autism is usually considered to be valid and accurate at 2 years of age. The gold standard for assessment remains a paper put out by Catherine Lord in 1995.

http://depts.washington.edu/isei/iyc/corsello_18_2.pdf

https://sfari.org/spotlights/-/asset_publisher/lVf7/content/cathy-lord-setting-standards-for-autism-diagnosis?redirect=%2Fspotlights (broken link)

Old 09-29-2010, 06:35 AM

2,564 posts, read 1,595,244 times
Default Banned around the world, but not in the United States

The great thimerosal cover-up: Mercury, vaccines, autism and your child's health

"...Banned around the world, but not in the United States

That might explain why thimerosal was eliminated in many countries 20 years ago. In 1977, a Russian study found that adults exposed to ethylmercury, the form of mercury in thimerosal, suffered brain damage years later. Studies on thimerosal poisoning also describe tubular necrosis and nervous system injury, including obtundation, coma and death. As a result of these findings, Russia banned thimerosal from children's vaccines in 1980. Denmark, Austria, Japan, Great Britain and all the Scandinavian countries have also banned the preservative. ..."

Old 09-29-2010, 06:54 AM

8,881 posts, read 5,364,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Not having children, I never followed this closely. All I have are questions.

Are you born with autism or did it/does it show up after the shots? If children were being vaccinated for so long, why did it begin to show up in large numbers more recently? Other medical conditions run if families, too. Why aren't they linked to childhood vaccinations either of the child with the medical condition or their parents? What else occured around the time autism diagnoses seemed to spike? How about for the parents of those children, like maybe some kind of drug use? Who benefits monetarily from autism or autism-like diagnoses?
I have a son with Asperger's. He was symptomatic from birth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.