Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 05:46 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,253,676 times

Advertisements

You are correct that the first amendment restricts only the government and not private entities. Private universities though can be problematic if they receive federal or state funds. You are also correct about fighting words but hate speech, unless directed at an individual, is normally not put into that category. I would be more outraged if the situation were reversed and the government took action against the individual. Not to say that doesn't happen, since the first amendment gets trampled on all the time. I don't agree with what folks like this say on either side, but I'll defend their rights to say it.

I'm a first amendment purist and never liked the "fighting words" caveat. The constitution seems pretty clear to me -"Congress shall make no law...." I don't see any exceptions footnoted in the document.

Old 12-28-2009, 07:57 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,244,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
Someone in that much denial of truth and facts has a clear agenda. hussein obama and his racist beliefs have created more racism and empowered the down with whitie types to be more agressive.
Sigh. You know our president is half white right? How the hell can he be against white people if he's half white himself. Oh I forgot about the one drop rule. Sorry.

Old 12-28-2009, 08:10 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,244,748 times
This is silly at best but no work today so might as well. Yes because I'm so black privileged I'm not working but playing around on my new laptop.

Anywho. The guy that called for the extermination of white people? Yeah who's taking this guy seriously. And what do you suppose be done with this guy? I say ignore and go about the business of the day is the best solution. Yes it's offensive but white people are allowed to spew hate speech all the time.

Getting jumped is terrible no matter the race. If this was indeed the case with the family that got jumped then yes it should be investigated as a hate crime but I'm guessing that they don't have enough evidence to make it a hate crime. The victims themselves don't even remember hearing anything about it being a black world. Also if there were 30 to 50 attackers there's no way they got a look at each and every single face at night. Those two incidents make it enough not to be sited as a hate crime. There are plenty of hate crimes in this country that aren't investigated as such.

So hate is bad either way. But you have to be careful about blanket statements. Because when you bring race into the eqaution it becomes personal. It no longer becomes about some poor family in Ohio (gotta love the not-so-objective slant of the writing) but it becomes about me. Last I checked I was far from privillaged. Fortunate to have what I have from my shiny new laptop to my car to a roof over a head? Yes I'm fortunate but not privillaged.

Next time you have beef about an issue then make it about the issue. Don't bring me into it.

Old 12-28-2009, 10:23 AM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,111,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
Someone in that much denial of truth and facts has a clear agenda. hussein obama and his racist beliefs have created more racism and empowered the down with whitie types to be more agressive.
Well, in accordance with your reasoning, the previous 43 WHITE presidents have really made it bad for black folks and those of all other colors except white, right? You know, I really suspected all the time that the reason some of you were so afraid of Obama being elected was because you were afraid that you'd finally get what you had coming to you.

Old 12-28-2009, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
You know, I really suspected all the time that the reason some of you were so afraid of Obama being elected was because you were afraid that you'd finally get what you had coming to you.
Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be happening much.

Old 12-28-2009, 01:13 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,088,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
Well, in accordance with your reasoning, the previous 43 WHITE presidents have really made it bad for black folks and those of all other colors except white, right? You know, I really suspected all the time that the reason some of you were so afraid of Obama being elected was because you were afraid that you'd finally get what you had coming to you.

What pray tell do I have coming to me? I did not want to see hussein obama elected because I researched this racist and liar before the election. I certainly didn't want to cast a vote for mcCain but was forced because hussein obama was not someone that should hold any office in our government.

Old 12-28-2009, 01:23 PM

145 posts, read 184,160 times
How many damn iterations of this SAME topic do you people need to rehash over and over again? Nothing new is being said -- it's the same tired arguments, and frankly, it's gotten old.

Evidently, black people are some kind of scapegoat people on here like to chastise to make them feel better about themselves, and I, quite frankly, find it pathetic.

I'm a 23 year-old black male preparing to graduate from a top Business School...in other words, more than likely more educated than 90% of the white posters who perpetuate these useless threads.

Perhaps, and this is just a suggestion, your collective time would be better spent improving your own life and minding your own business rather than feeling the need to constantly find fault in others.

Get over yourselves.

Old 12-28-2009, 02:42 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,088,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by + or - View Post
How many damn iterations of this SAME topic do you people need to rehash over and over again? Nothing new is being said -- it's the same tired arguments, and frankly, it's gotten old.

Evidently, black people are some kind of scapegoat people on here like to chastise to make them feel better about themselves, and I, quite frankly, find it pathetic.

I'm a 23 year-old black male preparing to graduate from a top Business School...in other words, more than likely more educated than 90% of the white posters who perpetuate these useless threads.

Perhaps, and this is just a suggestion, your collective time would be better spent improving your own life and minding your own business rather than feeling the need to constantly find fault in others.

Get over yourselves.

I believe it is a very serious topic when you have people calling for murders. If you are as educated as you say then you should be well aware you can bypass any thread you are not interested in. You might also take note of the many threads started by blacks blaming every ill in their life on past history that no one alive had anything to do with. I guess your business classes did not cover this topic.

Old 12-28-2009, 03:44 PM

I'll take my chances with those guys rather than you dudes in the white sheets.

Old 12-28-2009, 05:03 PM

270 posts, read 656,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by + or - View Post
How many damn iterations of this SAME topic do you people need to rehash over and over again? ......

Get over yourselves.
Sorry couldn't resist: If that's the most persuasive line of logic you can come up with, I dare say you're not better educated than 90% of the people I've met!

I will stop posting about black privilege the same day when Al Sharpton stops talking about white privilege. You're just mad because the counter argument is being made and the other side of the coin being revealed. Part of what racists wish to do is deny legitimate experiences of discrimination, deny the others' experiences of racism, and intimidate people not to speak out. What you're doing here, is actually a form of racism whether you recognize it or not.

Perhaps, your time is better spent elsewhere if you're as tired of these threads as you say you are However, I suspect exposing yourself to alternative viewpoints is going to be more beneficial than harmful.

These types of issues won't go away through turning a blind eye. No one in his right mind would imply that *everyone* of any race behaves a certain way or that race *causes* behavior. That is not the issue at hand. The issue at hand is one of socialization, that different groups tend to get specific privileges, that the government tends to treat certain races/ethnicities differently, and that we come to expect or accept different things from different races/ethnicities and no one ever even thinks about it. This isn't about putting one group above another or comparing battle scars, it's about exploring the racial/ethnic expectations and privileges in modern day USA. Unfortunately, the fact that one group has been pitted against the other so often makes that exploration very threatening and difficult for most people.

Last edited by sixtwobaldguy; 12-28-2009 at 05:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies