Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 05:22 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,259,477 times

Advertisements

All Seniors are invited to participate. This thread is not about blue, red, Democrat or Republican, right or wrong, liberal or conservative, which party is or is not in power, national politics, SSI, VA, State Medicade, trollling, advertising or personal attacks.

*This thread is only for Seniors over 55 -working or retired.*

As way of introduction, we are seniors who were employed by a local company for 40 years. Our little company grew and grew and grew after WWII and is today listed on NYSE. The 4QE '09 was a tidy five billion.

We retired early when pensions were small and medical services were inexpensive. Thus medicine was included for a few short years before a employee co=pay was started. The average doctor office visit was $25. None of us dreamed the office call would double three times in 25 years. or that some generic medicine could increase expotentially in 10 years. During this time and old time 21 tablet prescription raised from $9 to $90.

Last week I received a letter from one of my state representives in Washington telling me why he did not vote for the Health Reform Act. Ther were two or three things that bother me greatly.

-> 1- Retirees will not be allowed to keep their company sponsored health plans more than five years at the most.
-> 2- Company provided health insurance could be taxed as much as 8% per annum.
-> 3- Medicare Part C will be dropped
-> 4- Medicare Part B will increase .
-> 5- the use of Medicare provided equipment like oxygen tanks and carts, , caconcentrarors, home health services and nebulizers will be taxed thru the IRS. Regardless of whether or not you pay Federal taxes, you will get a tax bill every year that can be very hefty if you have what Congress considers a 'Cadillac Plan" .
-> 6. If the Health Act is passed, taxation begins in 2010 but no beneifits will be received before 2013.

There is no doubt provider fraud is prepetrated on Medicare. I see it every time I open a Medicare statement. Medicare is charged $560 every month for a used concentrator that cose $300 news. Medicare is paying $268 per month for unit that gets a 5 minute checked twice a year and a new filter once a year - only if it is needed. This is just one little sample of the waste.

The congressment are running for re-election next year. Their mantra is the cost of ER care for the under-employed and unemployed. An affordable rural health clinic would not only stop it, the ER cost would go down considerably. I saw this succeed in other rural towns where hospitals boardes were not involved in independent clinical practice. the side effect was astounding. The HMO doctors had few patients at any time, while the independent clinic was packed from 8-5 every day. They had exellent care from doctors who practiced medicine instead of care from doctors who practice hospital board policy.

No one in DC listens to two seniors in rural America. The only thing I know how to do is call my state representitive and tell them if they vote for this Health Reform Bill they can look forward to early retirement in 2011. Maybe if we get enough new faces in congress they might think more about We The People than adding dollars to their re-elecatin war chests.

One of the ways we can stop the bill is for Seniors to independently join forces together and deliver the same message throughout the halls of Congress. .Don't look to any senior group that sells insurance for help.

State Attorneys from coast to coast are already preparing to mount a constitutional challenge to this Health Care Act due to the unfair arm-twisting and pork barrel perks that do not benefit seniors - but add an additonal tax on everyone.

I want to hear from SENIORS from coast to coast. If you are not a senior or receiving Medicare, please do not reply.

Last edited by linicx; 12-28-2009 at 11:27 AM..

Old 12-27-2009, 07:51 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,447,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
Last week I received a letter from one of my state representives in Washington telling me why he did not vote for the Health Reform Act. Ther were two or three things that bother me greatly.

->1- Retirees will not be allowed to keep their company sponsored health plans more than five years at the most.
->2- Company provided health insurance could be taxed as much as 8% per annum.
->3- Medicare Part C will be dropped
->4- Medicare Part B will increase .
->5- the use of Medicare provided equipment like oxygen tanks and carts, , caconcentrarors, home health services and nebulizers will be taxed thru the IRS. Regardless of whether or not you pay Federal taxes, you will get a tax bill every year that can be very hefty if you have what Congress considers a 'Cadillac Plan" .
->6. If the Health Act is passed, taxation begins in 2010 but no beneifits will be received before 2013.
I would need more than than the word of a Member of Congress who voted against the health care reform bill as to what exactly is in the bill. Can you point to the specific sections of either the House or Senate versions of the bill that would support any of the statements above? Or any news articles?

For example, to respond to #6 above, there are several measures that would start almost immediately after the bill is signed into law. See:
What Happens before 2014?
A lot of people have been asking what the Senate bill does immediately. Here's the list:

1) Eliminating lifetime limits, and cap annual limits, on health-care benefits. In other words, if you get an aggressive cancer and your treatment costs an extraordinary amount, your insurer can't suddenly remind you that . . . . . . . . ."

MOD EDIT: Per TOS, only two sentences per single copyright source may be be cited. However, the number of cited two sentence *quotes* from *differening* sources* is not limited.

(and yes, I'm over 55 and retired)

Last edited by linicx; 12-28-2009 at 11:28 AM.. Reason: TOS violation pertaining to citation

Old 12-28-2009, 08:13 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
I would need more than than the word of a Member of Congress who voted against the health care reform bill as to what exactly is in the bill. Can you point to the specific sections of either the House or Senate versions of the bill that would support any of the statements above? Or any news articles?

For example, to respond to #6 above, there are several measures that would start almost immediately after the bill is signed into law. See:
A lot of people have been asking what the Senate bill does immediately. Here's the list:

1) Eliminating lifetime limits, and cap annual limits, on health-care benefits. In other words, if you get an aggressive cancer and your treatment costs an extraordinary amount, your insurer can't suddenly remind you that . . . . . . . . . "
of course you would, if you say it with your own eyes you probably wouldn't believe it. How much is true, we do not know for certain, this whole thing is such a mess we know nothing for certain, but we do know: the taxing will start this coming year and most benefits do not kick in until 2013 or 14. We also know that every effort is being made to cut some medicare benefits.

Oh, and for kids being covered on their parents insurance til they are 26, what happened to: kids, grow up and live on your own???

Nita

Last edited by linicx; 12-28-2009 at 11:24 AM..

Old 12-28-2009, 08:34 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,205,058 times
I'm glad to hear that legal challenges to this bill are already being mounted. The immediate direct effect to me is that I will lose my low cost Medicare Advantage Plan, since I don't live in FL which gets to keep theirs. That alone sounds like a violation of the "equal protection of the law" clause. The health care bill is surely filled with other such examples of blatant unconstitutional inequities.

Old 12-28-2009, 08:43 AM

2,111 posts, read 7,950,796 times
The basic thing that bothers me the most is that this reform is along party lines and shouldn't be.

I need some type of reform as I'm tou young for medicare and out of a job, paying our own healthcare out of pocket.

Last edited by linicx; 12-28-2009 at 11:29 AM..

Old 12-28-2009, 08:47 AM

13,186 posts, read 14,975,697 times
Yes OP I agree with GreenGene

Why don't you back up your list 6 items with a link or source?

For instance lets go with number 1?

Are we supposed to take your word as fact?

Old 12-28-2009, 08:50 AM

13,186 posts, read 14,975,697 times
I've tried to research claim number 2 and I cannot find anything about a possible 8% tax.

OP can you enlighten us?

Old 12-28-2009, 08:56 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,744,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
All Seniors are invited to participate. This thread is not about blue, red, Democrat or Republican, right or wrong, liberal or conservative, which party is or is not in power, national politics, SSI, VA, State Medicade, trollling, advertising or personal attacks.

*This thread is only for Seniors over 55 -working or retired.*

As way of introduction, we are seniors who were employed by a local company for 40 years. Our little company grew and grew and grew after WWII and is today listed on NYSE. The 4QE '09 was a tidy five billion.

We retired early when pensions were small and medical services were inexpensive. Thus medicine was included for a few short years before a employee co=pay was started. The average doctor office visit was $25. None of us dreamed the office call would double three times in 25 years. or that some generic medicine could increase expotentially in 10 years. During this time and old time 21 tablet prescription raised from $9 to $90.

-> 1- Retirees will not be allowed to keep their company sponsored health plans more than five years at the most.
-> 2- Company provided health insurance will be taxed as much as 8% per annum.
-> 3- Medicare Part C will be dropped
-> 4- Medicare Part B will increase .
-> 5- the use of Medicare provided equipment like oxygen tanks and carts, , caconcentrarors, home health services and nebulizers will be taxed thru the IRS. Regardless of whether or not you pay Federal taxes, you will get a tax bill every year that can be very hefty if you have what Congress considers a 'Cadillac Plan" .
-> 6. If the Health Act is passed, taxation begins in 2010 but no beneifits will be received before 2013.

There is no doubt provider fraud is prepetrated on Medicare. I see it every time I open a Medicare statement. Medicare is charged $560 every month for a used concentrator that cose $300 news. Medicare is paying $268 per month for unit that gets a 5 minute checked twice a year and a new filter once a year - only if it is needed. This is just one little sample of the waste.

The congressment are running for re-election next year. Their mantra is the cost of ER care for the under-employed and unemployed. An affordable rural health clinic would not only stop it, the ER cost would go down considerably. I saw this succeed in other rural towns where hospitals boardes were not involved in independent clinical practice. the side effect was astounding. The HMO doctors had few patients at any time, while the independent clinic was packed from 8-5 every day. They had exellent care from doctors who practiced medicine instead of care from doctors who practice hospital board policy.

No one in DC listens to two seniors in rural America. The only thing I know how to do is call my state representitive and tell them if they vote for this Health Reform Bill they can look forward to early retirement in 2011. Maybe if we get enough new faces in congress they might think more about We The People than adding dollars to their re-elecatin war chests.

One of the ways we can stop the bill is for Seniors to independently join forces together and deliver the same message throughout the halls of Congress. .Don't look to any senior group that sells insurance for help.

State Attorneys from coast to coast are already preparing to mount a constitutional challenge to this Health Care Act due to the unfair arm-twisting and pork barrel perks that do not benefit seniors - but add an additonal tax on everyone.

I want to hear from SENIORS from coast to coast. If you are not a senior or receiving Medicare, please do not reply.

I write to our leadership all the time. It is apparent that they are not listening to anyone. We are scared and angry. This morning they wrere bouncing around ideas as to how the bill will fund the 20 million new Medicaid recipients and raising property taxes was the first thing out of their mouths. Many seniors/retired people will be forced out of their homes I fear. What can we do? Open for suggestions.

Old 12-28-2009, 09:01 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,744,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post

1) Eliminating lifetime limits, and cap annual limits, on health-care benefits. In other words, if you get an aggressive cancer and your treatment costs an extraordinary amount, your insurer can't suddenly remind you that . . . . . . . "

Which people are you quoting here? What cost to us? You base this on a pro-health care advocate? Why is this any more relevant? And again, at what cost?

Last edited by linicx; 12-28-2009 at 02:50 PM..

Old 12-28-2009, 09:02 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,310,667 times
My senator and your senator sure have different stories on how the new bill will effect seniors. Here's a link to what mine says: Improved Medicare System (http://stabenow.senate.gov/healthcare/HCW/HCimproved.html - broken link)

As for me, I'm not going to get too concerned with what is in or out of the bill. It's going to change a lot when the house and senate merge them and have something ready for the president to sign. And even then he could send it back for changes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies