Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 07:02 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,859,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
that is the problem with trying to fight terrorism in afghanistan now. there are extremists ALL OVER THE WORLD!

america cannot keep spreading our own resources thin by going in and fighting every country that has terrorists. history proves that they just set up shop elsewhere.

what america needs to do is to target terrorists and not let them on planes heading into the US, where they can do us damage. people may not like the concept of profiling, but when there is smoke there is sometimes fire as well. if the terrorists that blew up the trade centers hadn't been allowed in our country in the first place, they couldn't have gone to flight school here to learn how to fly into tall buildings and kill innocent americans.
I agree. Extremists are everywhere.

Robert Pape, author of Dying to Win, explains the strategic logic of suicide terrorism. Pape has collected a database of every suicide terrorist attack between 1980 and 2004, all 462 of them.

"Religious beliefs are less important than supposed. For instance, the Tamil Tigers in Sri Lanka, a Marxist secular group, are the world's leader in suicide terrorism . The largest Islamic fundamentalist countries have not been responsible for any suicide terrorist attack. None have come from Iran or the Sudan. Until the U.S. invasion of Iraq, Iraq never had a suicide terrorist attack in all of its history. Between 1995 and 2004, the al-Qaeda years, two-thirds of all attacks came from countries where the U.S. had troops stationed. Iraq's suicide missions today are carried out by Iraqi Sunnis and Saudis. Recall, 15 of the 19 participants in the 9/11 attacks were Saudis. The clincher is this: the strongest motivation, according to Pape, is not religion but rather a desire "to compel modern democracies to withdraw military forces from the territory the terrorists view as their homeland."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2009, 07:03 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,248,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
If somebody has a name like "Ali" "Al Haddam" or Muhammed, they are assumed to be Muslim. If they are coming from a country that is more than 50% Muslim, they are assumed to be Muslims.
Gee, what if their name's Richard Reid and they're traveling from London?

Old 12-29-2009, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Pape has collected a database of every suicide terrorist attack between 1980 and 2004, all 462 of them.
So if I take 462 and divide it by 25 I get fewer than 20 per year, most occurring in places I never go. Let's say generously that 50 people are killed in each attack. That's 1,000 people a year out of a world of 6 billion. More people die each year from gun violence in America's top 3 cities. Tell me why I should be worried about this? Oh that's right, because it helps feed your right wing agenda.

Old 12-29-2009, 07:19 AM

13,186 posts, read 14,975,697 times
Yes didn't you hear?

Israel has been able to stop all terrorist acts against them by brutalizing the Arabs surrounding them like the USA should do!

There have not been any attacks on Israel for many many years and they never will be because Israel killed and scared off all the potential terrorists!

This should be a lesson to all.

If you have a conflict with another country or religion or ethnic group just have your military kill and brutalize them and your problems will melt away!

Also, the more you believe this lesson the more you love your country and the more patriotic your are!

Palin 2010!

Old 12-29-2009, 07:23 AM

716 posts, read 1,119,547 times
We need to use body scanners. They probably would have stopped this person from getting on the plane.

Old 12-29-2009, 07:28 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,813,321 times
Wow Kev, I never thought I'd ever agree with you on anything, but you got this damn straight right! Israel racially profiles, so should the US. I'm serious, the US needs to!

Old 12-29-2009, 07:30 AM

and which races are you going to profile?

Old 12-29-2009, 07:32 AM

People who look like this maybe?

Old 12-29-2009, 07:34 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,553,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
So if I take 462 and divide it by 25 I get fewer than 20 per year, most occurring in places I never go. Let's say generously that 50 people are killed in each attack. That's 1,000 people a year out of a world of 6 billion. More people die each year from gun violence in America's top 3 cities. Tell me why I should be worried about this? Oh that's right, because it helps feed your right wing agenda.
Oh, that's right! If it doesn't affect you personally it doesn't count. And when they do come for you, you will likely be one of the ones screaming for more protection and demanding a reason why this wasn't prevented.

Left wing agenda.

Old 12-29-2009, 07:35 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,553,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Gee, what if their name's Richard Reid and they're traveling from London?
Lay you odds that that name is on the watch list, same as Ted Kennedys name was on the list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies