Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 09:43 AM

13,608 posts, read 21,394,406 times

Advertisements

If any country is to be free and properous having a strongarmed leader is not the way.

Amazing that people will say Bush,or any American president is a tyrant and tout Castro,Chavez and such as a shining example of a leader "for the people".

Chavez,Castro exploits the poor,promising to make them wealthier while proping themselves up as totalrian leaders,using threats,indimidation,changing constitutions without consent.Making themselves the backbone of their country not their people.Bringing the poor up enough to make them happier but never truely free or the best they can be.

You'll never see billboards or painting on a building saying "viva Bush" or viva Clinton"....hopefully.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2007, 09:44 AM

22,920 posts, read 28,273,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
I dont know if you are refering to me as one of those wing nuts
I was not referring to anyone specifically.

Quote:
but I am not painting him as anything other than a scumbag communist dictater, I dont know if that fits into your description of a big "Bugga-Boo". But in my book that is a threat to any one who loves freedom and democracy!
Chavez is the democratically leader of his country. How does that make him a dictator?

Quote:
How is he a threat to big oil billionaires?
Because he nationalized oil in Venezuela, which means that the profits go to the people of Venezuela rather than into the coffers of Big Oil. This, more than anything, is why the wing nuts in our government hate him, and if you don't believe that, I've got a bridge to sell you.

Old 05-25-2007, 09:51 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,259,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
If any country is to be free and properous having a strongarmed leader is not the way.

Amazing that people will say Bush,or any American president is a tyrant and tout Castro,Chavez and such as a shining example of a leader "for the people".

Chavez,Castro exploits the poor,promising to make them wealthier while proping themselves up as totalrian leaders,using threats,indimidation,changing constitutions without consent.Making themselves the backbone of their country not their people.Bringing the poor up enough to make them happier but never truely free or the best they can be.

You'll never see billboards or painting on a building saying "viva Bush" or viva Clinton"....hopefully.

Beautifully expressed.

Old 05-25-2007, 10:02 AM

9,891 posts, read 10,823,821 times
Quote:

Yes, but he was democratically elected!

Old 05-25-2007, 11:08 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
I find it interesting that instead of keeping out energy profits at home we send them to a tyrannical family in Saudi Arabia. Like that makes sense.

Old 05-25-2007, 11:33 AM

22,920 posts, read 28,273,802 times
Quote:
Very true. But equally true of the leaders of Saudi Arabia, with whom our President walks hand-in-hand.

I'm not saying Chavez is a good guy. I'm saying that the wing nuts are a bunch of pots calling the kettle black on this one. Nations like Saudi Arabia and China are a FAR graver threat to the US than anyone in South America.

Danny Glover wants to make a movie financed by Chavez, and he's branded a traitor.

George Bush's policy and family wealth is tied to the Saudis, but he's lauded as a hero? ???

Old 05-25-2007, 12:05 PM

9,891 posts, read 10,823,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I find it interesting that instead of keeping out energy profits at home we send them to a tyrannical family in Saudi Arabia. Like that makes sense.
Yeah, I am with you, lets take that money start building some refinereys here at home and drill for our own oil and put our own people to work in the process!

Old 05-25-2007, 12:10 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,120,494 times
Do we have any oil left? Or do we only have potential oil in Alaska?

Old 05-25-2007, 12:30 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
We have lots of fossil fuel energy in the US and the rest of North America. However extracting it requires a lot of investment that could go down the drain of the Saudi’s ever cut prices. Like they did in the ‘80s. Just one of the ways they shape our energy and foreign policies. We have even more nuclear energy and could, with proper fuel reprocessing, be nearly completely free of foreign oil.

Old 05-25-2007, 12:40 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,120,494 times
So do you suspect collusion then and now?

In the 80s I was asleep at the wheel inasmuch as I didn't drive often, and lived in a public transportation City. I remember talk about price fixing or adjustment--but only vaguely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
We have lots of fossil fuel energy in the US and the rest of North America. However extracting it requires a lot of investment that could go down the drain of the Saudi’s ever cut prices. Like they did in the ‘80s. Just one of the ways they shape our energy and foreign policies. We have even more nuclear energy and could, with proper fuel reprocessing, be nearly completely free of foreign oil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies