Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 12:41 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,014,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
Cute. The biggest section of that list is those "charities" that are fighting religion. FAIL (as you like to say)

There are a lot of great secular charities. Nobody's denying that, but without the religious based hospitals and charities, this country would be in a world of hurt.
Exactly. These folks who advocate for churches to pay property taxes do not realize the magnitude of the snowball effect that would cause. There will be MUCH less funding available to support charitable operations and many operations would cease because of the financial burden of property taxes added to the cost of operations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2009, 01:13 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,411,789 times
Quote:
Then you either know that the Church is responsible for the vast amount of charitable contributions in this country. You're complaining about some "agenda" but the agenda is to help those less fortunate. By GIVING. Which they do.
No, the agenda is prostyilization, not charity.

Spreading the word of god is in no way, shape, or form, a charity.

The very last local church I worked with was gathering supplies and donations, boxing them up and sending them to Africa, everything from sturdy shoes to jeans to toothbrushes.

What made me stop?

Part of the donated money was used to buy bibles and print religious liturature which was placed in the boxes for distribution to those recieving the parcels. The destination? Central Nigeria, a heavily non-Christian area.

How many bowls of rice or bottles of fresh, clean water do you think that wasted money would have bought?

Old 12-31-2009, 01:14 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,994,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Exactly. These folks who advocate for churches to pay property taxes do not realize the magnitude of the snowball effect that would cause. There will be MUCH less funding available to support charitable operations and many operations would cease because of the financial burden of property taxes added to the cost of operations.
Don't the hospitals charge their patients through their insurances? Are the churches donating directly to the hospitals to keep them going? It would be interesting to see a study on just how much $$ the hospitals receive from the churches' coffers. I still think that if the churches had to pay the property taxes that the public gov'ts would quickly replace their services with public ones. It would be a "wash".

Old 12-31-2009, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Maybe if churches concentrated on actual charity instead of the false charity of prostylizing, there would't be a problem.

Old 12-31-2009, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Website will not open.
Opens for me.

Google "secular charities", if you are truely interested.

Old 12-31-2009, 01:51 PM

Looking back through the thread, I see I have been remiss in emphasising that I do not believe that "churches are breaking the bank" so to speak.

However, I see no logical reason to exclude churches from paying taxes.

It would simply be too cumbersome to attempt to develope a property tax structure that seperates the alleged charity work from the actual house of worship portion of a church, and/or a church would merely create a front organizations, as they do now, to preserve the property tax exemption of their church, it would merely be easier, and generate more tax revenue for local municipalities, to simply erase tax exemption for church buildings and properties.

Increasing the tax base of a municipality would also create an situation where the local property taxes would not have to be raised, thus benefiting everyone in that community.

Old 12-31-2009, 01:51 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,297,842 times
NO, my argument doesn't fall flat.

People argue that "the good churches so outwiegh any losses from property taxes".

Yet even in those areas with a high concentration of churches, poverty and welfare still run rampant.

That cancels any credibility in the "good work offsetting tax revenue" argument.[/quote]

Churches cannot end poverty. They can only help people in need, and they do.

What you fail to understand is that often people are poor by choice. They are lazy. Churches do not hand out free "stuff" to people who are not deserving. But I have seen them go overboard to help the truly needy.

Obviously, you wouldn't know, though, since you probalbly have never been involved with a church.

Your argument absolutely does flall flat.

Old 12-31-2009, 02:40 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,424,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
No, the agenda is prostyilization, not charity.

Spreading the word of god is in no way, shape, or form, a charity.

The very last local church I worked with was gathering supplies and donations, boxing them up and sending them to Africa, everything from sturdy shoes to jeans to toothbrushes.

What made me stop?

Part of the donated money was used to buy bibles and print religious liturature which was placed in the boxes for distribution to those recieving the parcels. The destination? Central Nigeria, a heavily non-Christian area.

How many bowls of rice or bottles of fresh, clean water do you think that wasted money would have bought?
A true believer in Jesus believes that in addition to providing them food and water, scripture provides them with MUCH more, so that's charity too. Charity for their souls.

So your logic is "well you fed and clothed 100,000 people, but you're wrong because you could have fed 100,500..." Brilliant. Just further proof that you have an agenda. You care only for defaming Christians.

That's fine, but sad for you.

Old 12-31-2009, 03:03 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,783,221 times
Quote:
A true believer in Jesus believes that in addition to providing them food and water, scripture provides them with MUCH more, so that's charity too. Charity for their souls.

So your logic is "well you fed and clothed 100,000 people, but you're wrong because you could have fed 100,500..." Brilliant. Just further proof that you have an agenda. You care only for defaming Christians.

That's fine, but sad for you.
Nah, I think more people are more interested in the quality of life for human beings rather than if these human beings have had their daily dose of Christianity.

Old 12-31-2009, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Churches cannot end poverty. They can only help people in need, and they do.

What you fail to understand is that often people are poor by choice. They are lazy. Churches do not hand out free "stuff" to people who are not deserving. But I have seen them go overboard to help the truly needy.

Obviously, you wouldn't know, though, since you probalbly have never been involved with a church.

Your argument absolutely does flall flat.
What you fail to understand is that your false charity is given to everyone, whether lazy or just in hard times.

If you're going to argue against me, at least start with factual statements.

And as I've stated ad nauseum on this thread, and forum, I used to work very closely with several churches and religious so-called charities, so your appeal to my ignroance on the matter is as factual as everything else you wrote above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies