Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 06:28 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,279,569 times

Advertisements

Romney is a venture capitalist and knows how to run a business. There is no other candidate, including Palin, who is more knowledgeable about business than him. Who gives a cr@p whether he believes in God, Allah, or the flying spaghetti monster?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 06:29 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Glenn Beck is a Mormon and conservatives seem fine with him.

All indications are that the economy's turning around, but if it doesn't I think Romney emerges as Obama's biggest threat.
The economy is slightly turning around, but that isn't because of Obama. It is the usual valleys and hills that are always part of recession and recovery. If anything he has hurt not helped the economy move...As for Romney, I think you are wrong, but it is just my opinion. He really just plain is not popular or liked in the party.

Nita

Old 12-30-2009, 06:31 PM

45,355 posts, read 60,546,019 times
As I listen to a Romney speech I'vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv ...
sorry dozed off there for a minute.

Old 12-30-2009, 06:32 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,294,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Backgrounds and beliefs inpact many of us. Yes, his Mormanism will affect him just like Huckabee is being affected by his connection with the So Baptist. We are human, but for many, Romneys religious views are only a small part of his lack of appeal. A lack of personality, his recond in MA and his arrogance are issues, as well as some of what he does or does not stand for.

Nita
Huckabee's faith didn't affect him, it was his qualifications. Huckabee was a minister to which many conservatives felt that he wasn't the most qualified to lead our country because he didn't have the educational and professional qualifications to do so in comparison to the other candidates. If Huckabee had an MBA from Harvard and started and ran several successful companies, he would probably be the leading GOP candidate even if he was a minister at some point in his career. Both Bush and Clinton were Southern Baptists and that didn't affect how people voted for them.

My question is if Romney supports your platform then why would you allow his personal background to affect how you vote for him if Evangelicals are truly about the issues and not trying to impose their faith on the rest of the country.

Old 12-30-2009, 06:33 PM

As long as we're tied to voting on someone based primarily on their religious views, we'll continue to be left in the dust of other economies.

Old 12-30-2009, 06:35 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,031,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Romney is a venture capitalist and knows how to run a business. There is no other candidate, including Palin, who is more knowledgeable about business than him. Who gives a cr@p whether he believes in God, Allah, or the flying spaghetti monster?
Correction: it's the Flying Zucchini Brothers ....

I thought Romney was the GOP's best of breed in 2008 but got bumped out early for some flip flopping and not being radical enough for the stark raving right wing.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 12-30-2009, 06:40 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,808,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Huckabee's faith didn't affect him, it was his qualifications. Huckabee was a minister to which many conservatives felt that he wasn't the most qualified to lead our country because he didn't have the educational and professional qualifications to do so in comparison to the other candidates. If Huckabee had an MBA from Harvard and started and ran several successful companies, he would probably be the leading GOP candidate even if he was a minister at some point in his career. Both Bush and Clinton were Southern Baptists and that didn't affect how people voted for them.

My question is if Romney supports your platform then why would you allow his personal background to affect how you vote for him if Evangelicals are truly about the issues and not trying to impose their faith on the rest of the country.
I agree with you. Many Evangelicals vote their religion and not the issues. Their religion is their only issue and they would be happy to see an Evangelical theocracy in America!

Old 12-30-2009, 06:43 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,637,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
If Evangelicals are not our version of the Taliban, meaning it's less about their culture and views and more about the issues then why do they have a problem voting for Romney due to his status as a Mormon?

Romney upholds all the same values that Evangelicals do with the exception that he is a Mormon and not a Baptist, Catholic, Southern Baptist etc.

If it's about the issues then there should be no opposition to Romney? But obviously his Mormon background does impact your thinking regardless if he states and upholds the same things you do. Because with Evangelicals, it's not just about issues, it's about their need to impose their beliefs upon the rest of the country and they can't have a non-believe being their President. This is just like the Taliban. Evangelicals don't believe in freedom of religion and can't vote for a guy who doesn't share the same religous beliefs like them.

I've long held the belief that Romney got axed due to his religion. I don't believe that the evangelicals/fundementalists will be able to get past the fact he is a mormon.

I do have to correct you though on one point. The catholics don't vote on religion - if they vote on issue alone it would be regarding abortion (though there are many catholics who vote for pro choice pols), but the faith of the candidate is not an issue.

In todays climate in the GOP I doubt a Catholic, Mormon, Hindu, and certainly never a muslim would get the potus nomination.

Old 12-30-2009, 06:46 PM

We need Deists (e.g. Jefferson, Adams, etc), not hard core big government loving evangelicals.

Old 12-30-2009, 06:46 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,637,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Backgrounds and beliefs inpact many of us. Yes, his Mormanism will affect him just like Huckabee is being affected by his connection with the So Baptist. We are human, but for many, Romneys religious views are only a small part of his lack of appeal. A lack of personality, his recond in MA and his arrogance are issues, as well as some of what he does or does not stand for.

Nita
Forget it Nita - Huckabee did not suffer ill from his connection to S Baptists within the republican party. He was a mighty contender against McCain for the nomination. What bit him was charges he covered up crimes of animal abuse by his son while Huckabee was governor. I think he bowed out to spare himself and his (sociopathic axwipe) son of his public embarassment and exporsure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies