Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 12:55 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,037,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade52 View Post
I say you totally neglected to mention what the headline story on MSNBC was.

Compare and contrast is usually good.
Ok, i'll bite. I recall very vividly - when I wrote the OP, the major headline on MSNBC- front and center - was regarding the BCS Championship.

I like football, but when compared to terrorism, I could give a rats ass. That's what' ESPN.COM is for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2010, 12:57 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,037,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
LOL

Ah, you DO understand don't you that if FOX News puts their focus on a story about Janet Napolitano on their front page then they are minimizing (or completely ignoring) SOME OTHER story that would be there otherwise.

What makes a story about Janet Napolitano more important than whatever story MSNBC has dominating IT'S main page - the fact that YOU think the Janet Napolitano story is more important? Who the h*ll made YOU the judge of what story is most important?

FOX New emphasizes the stories IT'S management thinks will be most harmful to the Democrats and most helpful to the GOP.

MSNBC emphasizes the stories IT'S management thinks will be most harmful to the GOP and most helpful to the Democrats.

FOX New certainly has no claim on superiority of their journalist ethics or the "fairness" of their reporting. YOU just happen to ignore that fact because YOU share a political viewpoint with FOX News.

Get a clue.

Ken
See the above post for your answer. If BCS Championships are your major concern, then I have no reason to debate you about anything of any substance. Go team!

And for the record, I check many mediums for a wide ranging view of the news. If MSNBC.com decides not to report on anything critical of the Obama Administration, so be it. But that doesn't preclude me, or anyone else, from seeking the real truth, or at least a different angle. It's too bad that you are not able to discern as much, much less apply it to anything relevant. In your world, this nation and this economy is peachy keen! That alone speaks volumes of your analytical abilities, much less your take on the news. Not to mention your falacious regurgitation of the 80's recession, as if this recession is analagous. I could go on for days about your erroneous eagle eye view. Shall I? So why should I take YOUR view as if it were gospel?

Last edited by AeroGuyDC; 01-03-2010 at 01:30 AM..

Old 01-03-2010, 02:21 AM

1,692 posts, read 1,951,226 times
"The real truth" is very subjective. FNC didn't bother to report many things about the Iraq war, for instance. Were those facts not important, or just not important to the narrative that FNC wanted to advance?

We both know the answer. FNC is not suddenly a paragon of truth, bud.

Old 01-03-2010, 02:57 AM

20,243 posts, read 36,919,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1282 View Post
I agree but look at it from this point. All news is extremely bias if something makes obama look bad fox will be all over it msnbc wont even go near it and vice versa. I watch fox though because I believe you should always be critical of who ever is the pres.
You can always read the news links posted at Drudge Report. That way you can read the news from both sides.

Old 01-03-2010, 03:05 AM

20,243 posts, read 36,919,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db108108 View Post
"The real truth" is very subjective. FNC didn't bother to report many things about the Iraq war, for instance. Were those facts not important, or just not important to the narrative that FNC wanted to advance?

We both know the answer. FNC is not suddenly a paragon of truth, bud.
What you have said is true, and I would add the following: the news usually comes from the same sources, which are very few. In other words there is a "pool of news" Fox, CNN, and all other news centers present to us. This new in turn is tailored by each one of them, to fit their audience, readership, and listenership.

As one watches or listens to the news presented by FOX, this same news sounds completely different when presented by CNN. But it's the same news It just seems different depending on which news media is presenting it. If one likes CNN and watches its news, one tends to agree with the contents of the presentation. But if one does not like CNN, one finds all sorts of faults with it.

Old 01-03-2010, 04:34 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,638,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Yes, for the last time (hopefully).

Several separate investigations showed that the Bush administration did not "lie" about WMD in Iraq.

Which means that either Bush AND the entire international intelligence community AND the U.S. Senate and House intelligence committee "lied" or none of them did. Because all of the above were making the same claims about Iraq's WMD.

The main reason that the pendulum swung so far to the left in 2008 was more to do with the economy than the Iraq war. Remember, Bush was reelected in 2004, over one year after the Iraq war began.

Hopefully, you understand now.
To my ignore list you go....

Don't worry - there are already several other neo-con extremists there who are equally confused about what conservatism means, so you'll have someone who will listen to you.

Old 01-03-2010, 06:22 AM

20,222 posts, read 19,782,458 times
A couple of MSNBC's bigger fish seemed to have become Fox/O'Reilly/Beck infomercials.

Why watch them when I can watch what they're advertising?

Old 01-03-2010, 06:24 AM

10,793 posts, read 13,496,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I routinely check MSNBC.com and FoxNews.com for my news. More often than not, the two websites have vastly different headlines. For example, the major headline on FoxNews.com at the moment is how Janet Napolitano is feeling bipartisan heat for her percieved ineptitude. This is big news considering the danger our nation faces from terrorism. But when you go to MSNBC.com, there's not a single peep about Napolitano except passing references hidden in other intelligence-related articles. How could this so easily go unreported on MSNBC.com?

This, of course, is but one instance of the differences in reporting. It happens all the time, and I can say this confidently because I check both sites multiple times daily.

From my vantage point, I can see why FoxNews is the leader in Cable News. A watered down approach to news is an insult to thinking Americans.

What say you?
And I'm sure you have no agenda, do you??

Old 01-03-2010, 06:26 AM

10,793 posts, read 13,496,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordbalfor View Post
lol

ah, you do understand don't you that if fox news puts their focus on a story about janet napolitano on their front page then they are minimizing (or completely ignoring) some other story that would be there otherwise.

What makes a story about janet napolitano more important than whatever story msnbc has dominating it's main page - the fact that you think the janet napolitano story is more important? Who the h*ll made you the judge of what story is most important?

fox new emphasizes the stories it's management thinks will be most harmful to the democrats and most helpful to the gop.

msnbc emphasizes the stories it's management thinks will be most harmful to the gop and most helpful to the democrats.

fox new certainly has no claim on superiority of their journalist ethics or the "fairness" of their reporting. You just happen to ignore that fact because you share a political viewpoint with fox news.

Get a clue.

Ken

bingo....

Old 01-03-2010, 07:45 AM

37,743 posts, read 40,800,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I routinely check MSNBC.com and FoxNews.com for my news. More often than not, the two websites have vastly different headlines. For example, the major headline on FoxNews.com at the moment is how Janet Napolitano is feeling bipartisan heat for her percieved ineptitude. This is big news considering the danger our nation faces from terrorism. But when you go to MSNBC.com, there's not a single peep about Napolitano except passing references hidden in other intelligence-related articles. How could this so easily go unreported on MSNBC.com?

This, of course, is but one instance of the differences in reporting. It happens all the time, and I can say this confidently because I check both sites multiple times daily.

From my vantage point, I can see why FoxNews is the leader in Cable News. A watered down approach to news is an insult to thinking Americans.

What say you?
I was on Google News yesterday looking for something else and noticed there were a ton of stories about Napolitano including some from Democrats who want her to step down so while MSNBC.com may be missing the boat, it looked to me like everybody else was on the story.

Personally, and I'm a fan of Fox News, I find their websiteto be difficult to use. It takes me forever to find even the most basic information on it, like the names of their reporters (not the on air personalities), for example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies