Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 12:18 AM

1,251 posts, read 2,577,414 times

Advertisements

Good thing AlGore does have a new book now I can wrap up fish guts Or perhaps line my canary's cage with it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2007, 04:49 AM

203 posts, read 162,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyappy View Post
Spunky1

And anti-Gore and anti-Edwards types (these would be "righties", am I correct?) live in small houses and are not conspicuous consumers?

I'm a big-time tree-hugger so this news is appalling to me, but I believe this thread started with a remark about a pot calling a kettle black; so I guess it continues.

I wonder, other than being distraught about the acreage you say Edwards cut down, are you concerned about the logging practices in the US i.e. crony corporatists who get special deals on very large tracts of public lands, who then charge the taxpayers for the costs of building roads for clear-cutting those lands, and then sell the logs to foreign countries who then export them back to the US in the form of manufactured goods at say 1000 to 5000 times, or more, the cash that the crony corporatists got for ripping off Americans to begin with?

For the record, I am not a righty or a republican. I actually think being tied to a particular party nowadays is a bad thing. People cannot seem to think for themselves. I am fiscally conservative, but I am a big time nature lover. I believe there is a balance between mans progress and preserving nature. I just happen to be aware of how some people like to preach what "I" should do, but what "they" actually do is a different story. Again, if everyone used common sense, everything would work out well. Unfortunately, the "lefts" side always uses scare tactics and people fall for them all the time.

Common sense is that dvelopment is fine, just do it sensibly. Make sure there is plenty of landscaping planted when putting in houses. Densely develop certain tracts of land and then preserve undeveloped tracts of land, so they will not be disturbed. Limit the size allowed for single family residents. And most important, practice what you preach. That is the part that the "elite" global warming nutties forget.

Old 05-25-2007, 05:22 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,258,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpoint View Post
For the record, I am not a righty or a republican. I actually think being tied to a particular party nowadays is a bad thing. People cannot seem to think for themselves. I am fiscally conservative, but I am a big time nature lover. I believe there is a balance between mans progress and preserving nature. I just happen to be aware of how some people like to preach what "I" should do, but what "they" actually do is a different story. Again, if everyone used common sense, everything would work out well. Unfortunately, the "lefts" side always uses scare tactics and people fall for them all the time.

Common sense is that dvelopment is fine, just do it sensibly. Make sure there is plenty of landscaping planted when putting in houses. Densely develop certain tracts of land and then preserve undeveloped tracts of land, so they will not be disturbed. Limit the size allowed for single family residents. And most important, practice what you preach. That is the part that the "elite" global warming nutties forget.

Perfectly stated! And I too consider myself a conservative but also a big time nature-lover. The two positions are not necessarily mutually exclusive!

Old 05-25-2007, 05:28 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,258,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyappy View Post
Spunky1

And anti-Gore and anti-Edwards types (these would be "righties", am I correct?) live in small houses and are not conspicuous consumers?

I'm a big-time tree-hugger so this news is appalling to me, but I believe this thread started with a remark about a pot calling a kettle black; so I guess it continues.

I wonder, other than being distraught about the acreage you say Edwards cut down, are you concerned about the logging practices in the US i.e. crony corporatists who get special deals on very large tracts of public lands, who then charge the taxpayers for the costs of building roads for clear-cutting those lands, and then sell the logs to foreign countries who then export them back to the US in the form of manufactured goods at say 1000 to 5000 times, or more, the cash that the crony corporatists got for ripping off Americans to begin with?

Ah, finally a common ground. Good for you for being concerned about the environment. Yes, I am concerned. Even on a smaller scale when developers rape the land to put up subdivisions makes me sick and sad. If someone who has a public forum (Edwards) would do the right thing and set an example, instead of putting up the biggest structure money can buy. For what? To show their success. Pitiful.

Old 05-25-2007, 07:04 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
Keeping up with the Joneses actually starter in the exclusive suburbs on the Hudson north of NYC in the early 1900's. Seems Mrs. Jones commissioned a new tower on her mansion and all the other mansion owners had to have their towers to keep up. Edwards is probably giving in to this need to flaunt the wealth to gain credibility with the rest of the wealthy. After all he is one of the few (are their any others) of the Candidates that didn’t start with a huge inheritance?

Old 05-25-2007, 07:33 AM

764 posts, read 1,456,852 times
Default "Ah, finally a common ground."

Spunky1 and Southpoint,

Maybe, Spunky1, I’ve done something I don’t often do as I’ve progressed in life (I prefer that term to gotten older); I may have categorized you incorrectly. In my opinion, FOX News leans so far right I’m surprised they don’t all walk around in clockwise circles, so I thought possibly you also had that affliction. Maybe not, though.

I’m always encouraged when I discover people and organizations that either consider themselves to be conservatives, or get labeled that way, to be environmentally conscious. But then I too frequently encounter people and organizations whose political ideologies lean that direction that couldn’t care less about what happens environmentally as long as profits are being made, and the higher the percentage the better.

Now, I am definitely a capitalist, it’s difficult to envision how any business owner could NOT be, but I’m also creative and energetic enough to find ways to make money without doing harm to others and that includes damage to the environment (I don’t view winning in fair competition as doing harm to my competitor/s). So I’m all too frequently disgusted with people and organizations who could have accomplished their goals in much less destructive ways had they not been lazy and/or avoided being creative.

It’s a shame that this term has taken on such a negative connotation:

en•vi•ron•men•tal•ism

1. Advocacy for or work toward protecting the natural environment from destruction or pollution.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition

I used to ask people of the political right in both face-to-face and online discussions, “If you’re not an environmentalist, what are you?†After the shock and then blood pressures settled somewhat, I explained that, if one is not for protecting the natural environment from destruction or pollution, then one must be for attacking it. More high blood pressure. I found that I was helping to create the negative connotation and that’s how I arrived at my less confrontational approach.

I don’t know anything about Edwards’s personal activities because I don’t care for his politics. From what I’ve gathered from your comments, he’s not a person I’d want to know and I would likely become an activist against his actions if it was required. But I AM a Gore fan and I believe too many people are over-the-top negative regarding his actions and views on America and the world. If Republicans ever took back their Party from the neoconservatives who have hijacked it, and there were many high-ranking members who were staunch—and active—environmentalists and Democrats had lost their focus on fighting for the environment, I could even go back to voting for some Republicans occasionally. THAT’S how strongly I feel about the environment.

I’m with you about actions backing up words. I believe Gore is doing what he can in his particular very-public circumstances and I don’t think anyone could question his concern for OUR environment. And nothing he accomplishes is going to make our environment LESS clean. He certainly is doing far more to help us live less-polluted lives than any other former public servant that I can think of. And he is definitely a capitalist.

Old 05-25-2007, 07:34 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
I just read this entire thread. Some very interesting ideas have been presented.

Southpoint – Why do you believe man made global warming is a crock of s****? Seriously, I really would like to know.

Old 05-25-2007, 08:33 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,139,842 times
Quote:
Actually that is what most are advocating, common sense. There was a time when conservatives respected the environment, look back at Goldwater.

The elites are the corporate crowd that want to squash any dialogue on the matter.

Old 05-25-2007, 09:09 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,255,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchuckie View Post
Good thing AlGore does have a new book now I can wrap up fish guts Or perhaps line my canary's cage with it
On the positive side, your purchase of the book willl help it shoot to the top of the best seller list - more publicity for Al. Mighty expensive cage liner though.

Old 05-25-2007, 09:26 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,255,561 times
I agree "conservative" and "environmentalist" are not mutually exclusive labels. However, in the case of this administration, the "fox guarding the henhouse" approach has been used; i.e, Gayle Norton head of the Interior Department (back at Shell Oil now)

One of Bill Clinton's last gifts to the American people was designating acreage as national parks and roadless areas to prevent clearcutting of forests. One of the first things bush did was to try and overturn the rule (the first thing he did was cut contraceptive fund to women in third world countries. IMHO supporting population control is part of being an environmentalist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies