Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 01:30 PM

20,326 posts, read 19,909,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The aughts: The Lost Decade
I did pretty well from 2000-2010. Granted, it wasn't as easy as it was from the mid 80's through the 90's, it just took a little more effort and hustle.

I'm confident I'll continue to do so as long as I've got my faculties and a willingness to seek out the opportunities this country and some other parts of the world may offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2010, 01:44 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,031,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Green jobs are a joke. They use government "feel good" dollars to create businesses that aren't profitable and cost more than just money.
A good example of that phenomenon is the ethanol boom. Between 2006 and 2009 there were new ethanol plants being built on government incentives and subsidies. When some of the subsides were not renewed, the companies receiving them caved.

I suspect a similar occurrence will come out of any "green" boom if the business does not become profitable.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

In any case, statistics tell no lies;

The unemployment rate over the past 20 years:

Growth in Gross Domestic Product (GDP):

Now both of them together:

Statistically speaking, 1999-2009 was not all that unusual from previous cycles, the only difference is the severity of the recession we are currently experiencing. I would attribute much of the sluggish growth in the early to mid '00s to the rapid destabilization of global oil markets as a result of 9/11 and the subsequent invasions of Afghanistan and later Iraq.

Old 01-03-2010, 01:48 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,323,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
The fortune telling business is no more. Bush-Cheney and Company stole the fortune and left us all an I.O.U.
And then came the Obama administration and they stole the I.O.U.

Old 01-03-2010, 01:49 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post

Statistically speaking, 1999-2009 was not all that unusual from previous cycles, the only difference is the severity of the recession we are currently experiencing. I would attribute much of the sluggish growth in the early to mid '00s to the rapid destabilization of global oil markets as a result of 9/11 and the subsequent invasions of Afghanistan and later Iraq.
I think that "jobless" recovery we had did harm as well. How do you recover with no jobs unless you make getting into debt easier ?

We certainly won't bounce back like we did as we played all our cards.

Old 01-03-2010, 03:43 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The pieces though had to be in place. I think it started years before Bush though. It did escalate under Bush but I think that's because all the rules were in place by then and gave corporations the green light to fully engage.

We may need to go as far back as NAFTA and maybe even earlier to piece together all the changes that enabled the great American producer nation to turn into the poor American consumer nation. The fault lies with both parties over the years.

Now, the question is where does America go from here ?
We can lay blame and finger point all we want on the past but it won't change the present and I don't see much planning going on for the future.

All I hear is that we have to "create jobs". Sounds nice and reads nice on paper but where's the meat ? Where's the planning ? Where's the strategy ? What are these jobs ? These are the questions we should be asking our reps today when they talk of stimulus and new jobs.
yes, this is probably true. However, Bush had 8 years to do something about it, and didn't. Obama has been in office for 11 months and some people want to blame him for not having it fixed already. It just isn't logical.

Old 01-03-2010, 04:11 PM

78,337 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Yeah, this could possibly have been impacted by Bill Clinton passing NAFTA now could it?

Or the huge run up in debt in the 80's (personal debt) or the stock bubble of the 90's etc.

So tired of the sheep in political.

Old 01-03-2010, 04:17 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
yes, this is probably true. However, Bush had 8 years to do something about it, and didn't. Obama has been in office for 11 months and some people want to blame him for not having it fixed already. It just isn't logical.
Bush had the corporations behind him and did everything to allow them to flourish.
I thought Obama was different when he was on the campaign trail.
Since election though he's brought more corporate people into his inner circle.
The Dems, once against big business, seem to have engaged them now.

I'm not blaming Obama for not fixing anything. I question though what side of the fence he's playing on..the taypayer or the corporation ?

Old 01-03-2010, 04:22 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,450,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
really? You are going to turn it around on the guy that's been in office for 11 months instead of the guy that was in office for 8 of the last 10 years? That doesn't fly with me, or anyone else with half a brain.
And your thoughts on "son of stimulus?" Your thoughts on the first trillion not quite creating jobs? I mean if you take $1 trillion and divide it by $30k you'll get 3.33 million jobs. What part of all that confounds you?

Old 01-03-2010, 05:13 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
And your thoughts on "son of stimulus?" Your thoughts on the first trillion not quite creating jobs? I mean if you take $1 trillion and divide it by $30k you'll get 3.33 million jobs. What part of all that confounds you?
read the post I was responding to. All the poster did is turn it around on Obama. It makes no sense. I'm not saying Obama is perfect. I'm not saying it is ALL Bush's fault. But some refuse to place any blame on Bush and place it ALL on Obama which makes absolutely no sense, when we know who was in office for almost all of the last decade.

Old 01-03-2010, 06:25 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,031,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Yeah, this could possibly have been impacted by Bill Clinton passing NAFTA now could it?
Bill Clinton granting "preferred trade status" to China his last couple weeks in office did far more damage to our economy than NAFTA. From that point on came about the largest wave of outsourcing in US history. Even the dozen or so tariffs Bush put on Chinese imports failed to slow down that trend. After only 10 years we forgave and forgot about the Tienanmen square massacre and the ban of trade with that country.

Not a peep from a single left-winger about Clinton moving tech exports from the State Department to the Commerce Department so Clinton's campaign contributors (Loral Space & Comm.) could give China our ICBM guidance systems..

So long as they play ball with us, human rights violations and acts of brutality mean nothing..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies