Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Concern level:
Completely apathetic 42 30.00%
Little concern 13 9.29%
Moderately concerned 25 17.86%
Very Concerned 53 37.86%
Keeps me up at night 7 5.00%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 05:23 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,413,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langlen View Post
No, as animals do not have the ability to consent.

Maybe people with such profound sexual disorders that they view homosexuality as normal dont have the ability to grant consent rationally either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2010, 05:23 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,490,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCityMike View Post
In my opinion, the state should not have the right to say who can or cannot get married - if marriage is supposed to be a religious institution (Separation of church and state). States should be issuing "Domestic Partnership" or “Commitment” licenses. Under this idea, Churches can then perform whatever marriage they want as they would govern who can 'marry.' Homosexual and Heterosexual commitment ceremonies would be equal in the eyes of the law. However, would churches be willing to deal with the pressure to conform on homosexual marriage? Are heterosexuals prepared to have their state sanctioned "marriages" now deemed "Domestic Partner" or other vernacular? Interesting, huh?
When the shoe is on the other foot, it starts to hurt.

Old 01-05-2010, 05:24 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,042,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
Pretty pathitic state of affairs that is too. Intentionally placing children into such a confusing situation just to placate homosexuals.
Except that it's not actually confusing.

Quote:
Um, no. People usually learn of infertility after trying to have kids. But as you noted they can adopt children into a NORMAL HEALTHY loving family.
Which they can get with homosexual parents. Proven, by the by.

Quote:
Its only arcane if you have lost focus on the basic needs of a society to reproduce healthy offspring.
Which one doesn't need marriage to produce healthy offspring.

Quote:
Letting same sex couples get married is discrimination, unless you will let ANY two people get married for any concievable reason.
And outside of consent laws, I don't have any problems with any two (plus) legally consenting people getting married.

Quote:
No, you refuse to see it. You already explained how very clearly.
I fail to see how heteros being able to marry someone of the same gender makes my marriage less meaningful.

Old 01-05-2010, 05:28 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,490,590 times
Quote:
Maybe people with such profound sexual disorders that they view homosexuality as normal dont have the ability to grant consent rationally either.
Maybe people with such heavy religious convictions that view homosexuality as abnormal should not have the ability to deny or vote away someones rights or privileges. Christians have such a holier than though attitude. They think that their bull crap does not stink, well it does.

Old 01-05-2010, 05:30 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,042,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
Maybe people with such heavy religious convictions that view homosexuality as abnormal should not have the ability to deny or vote away someones rights or privileges. Christians have such a holier than though attitude. They think that their bull crap does not stink, well it does.
Homosexuality is technically "abnormal". However, abnormal=/=bad.

Old 01-05-2010, 05:35 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,238,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justcause View Post
Seems like the only people here who seem to bring up GLBT issues are the gay members, themselves (which is understandable). So, I was just curious about the level of genuine interest and concern for the inequalities that GLBT people face and the plight of GLBTs with regard to civil rights issues and the like.
I'm more concerned about the millions of Americans that are out of work..

Old 01-05-2010, 05:38 PM

589 posts, read 1,107,242 times
Homosexuality was removed from the Psychiatric Diagnositc and Statistical Manual decades ago. I do not think any (non religious) organization today classifies homosexuality as abnormal.

Old 01-05-2010, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
I am very concerned. It bothers me when a certain group is discriminated against.

I put myself in their shoes. Being denied marriage to the one I love, being denied visitation rights.....agh! Not fair especially in the USA!

Let freedom ring!
The bell is cracked!

Old 01-05-2010, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTwizter View Post
OK here's a thought! Lets just do away with all marriage between heterosexuals. Along with that lets take away all the RIGHTS to adopt, tax benefits, health benefits, inheritance and any and everything that counts as a benefit for being married. How would that go over?
Ya got my vote....that would mean the ex-wife would have to give me everything back..

Old 01-05-2010, 06:01 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,865,432 times
Quote:
Pretty pathitic state of affairs that is too. Intentionally placing children into such a confusing situation just to placate homosexuals.

Um, no. People usually learn of infertility after trying to have kids. But as you noted they can adopt children into a NORMAL HEALTHY loving family.

Its only arcane if you have lost focus on the basic needs of a society to reproduce healthy offspring.

Letting same sex couples get married is discrimination, unless you will let ANY two people get married for any concievable reason.

No, you refuse to see it. You already explained how very clearly.
haha, wow, you've got some issues. Not trying to be mean, but you really need to lighten up. And your "reasoning" is totally twisted. I thought the bible tells you to spread love?

Last edited by Mike from back east; 01-05-2010 at 07:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies