Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Agree or disagree: The U.S. health care system is "just fine".
Agree 19 22.62%
Disagree 65 77.38%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 09:22 AM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Are people willing to pay half their income for health care insurance? You'd better be ready!
I believe his point is that almost every head of household owns a car, but not everyone has the best car money can buy. The way some people look at health care, they think a city bus service or other public transportation is not good enough, they want everyone to get a free 2010 Cadillac Escalade, and not just one, but one for everyone in the family.

I would like to see every American have access to basic health care, and if they want expanded coverage they should have to pay for it, either directly or thru health insurance, or maybe even some form tax credit to help pay for a portion. But every American does not deserve a brand new, free Cadillac Escalade for every member of the family each year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2010, 09:23 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,815,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
He said the system was fine.. he didnt say the prices were. :-)
Find out why the prices are high and how we can have affordable healthcare and treat those who need to be charity cases. How do you fund this and get it work.
NO government and alittle something I call genius charity donations.
Too many people die waiting for those "generous charity donations."

Old 01-05-2010, 09:31 AM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easybreezy View Post
All I ask for justice. A health insurance plan that provides adequate coverage and is affordable. Over a $1,000 a month is not affordable.
Agreed.

The focus should be on lowering health care costs, and getting basic health care to the point where everyone can afford it.

Instead the focus has been on how can government give everyone health care, and to hell with how much it costs.

Paying doctors and hospitals less, and cutting Medicare by $500 billion does not lower health care costs, it just encourages a lot of medical professionals to leave practice and lowers the quality of health care.

Old 01-05-2010, 09:32 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Yes, he can. So, if you're concerned about the terms of a policy, get one that you like. Don't like taking a risk that you'll be denied because you go out of network? Don't sign up with that policy.
Simple as that, huh? And where would one find that policy? Most employers offer between one and three choices, usually variants on each other, and each more expensive than the next. The point of health care reform is that there is no health insurance 'boutique' that we can run out to and buy coverage from. But, I suppose that maybe, like Rush, you can afford to pay tens of thousands of dollars a year for non-employer based coverage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Same goes for other terms. Pay for the coverage you want, but don't expect others to pay for what YOU didn't want to pay for, should that need come up.

And, I suppose you have some sort of crystal ball that has allowed you to know exactly what kind of illnesses you are going to suffer from for the rest of your natural life? Never gonna max out that lifetime limit? Never gonna need in-home care or durable medical equipment. Good for you. And how about those pre-existing conditions? Your crystal ball told you you'll never get turned down? I'm happy for you. Please let us in on your predictive powers so we can all make the same wise choices.

Old 01-05-2010, 09:33 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,306,076 times
How do you go about making 50 Mil a year? I want in!

.................................................. ..................................................

Well, in Limbaugh's case the plan went something like this:

1. Find a group of angry rednecks.

2. Learn what "redmeat" issues they react too. You'll usually find these groups are largely not-too-highly educated white males who think that the country has gone to hell because of "women's libbers", "out-of-control gays", and illegal aliens who are given the "run" of the country.

3. Coin a bunch of phrases (or use phrases alot that others have already coined) that appeal to these emotions. Here are a few examples:

"Latte sipping, Volvo driving, liberals"

"Tree huggers"

"liberal freaks"

"democraps"

4. Have just a modicum of charisma and a resonant voice.

5. Get yourself a radio show and rant nonstop about all of the above.

Limbaugh is proof to me that you don't need much talent or ability to get rich in America.

Old 01-05-2010, 09:38 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,630,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post

A job does NOT guarantee health insurance. Furthermore, health insurance doesn't equal health care. Plenty of people have health insurance but still can't afford to go to the doctor.
Nor should a job guarantee health insurance. People's health should never be attached to their employer, it is ludicrous. An employer should not be the provider of health benefits. Insurance should be a private matter so that people are not stuck working a job just because it provides insurance, then when they get axed, they are up sh%t creek. Another fine example of how government solutions often create as many problems as they try to fix.

Old 01-05-2010, 09:55 AM

643 posts, read 1,393,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
How do you go about making 50 Mil a year? I want in!

.................................................. ..................................................

Well, in Limbaugh's case the plan went something like this:

1. Find a group of angry rednecks.

2. Learn what "redmeat" issues they react too. You'll usually find these groups are largely not-too-highly educated white males who think that the country has gone to hell because of "women's libbers", "out-of-control gays", and illegal aliens who are given the "run" of the country.

3. Coin a bunch of phrases (or use phrases alot that others have already coined) that appeal to these emotions. Here are a few examples:

"Latte sipping, Volvo driving, liberals"

"Tree huggers"

"liberal freaks"

"democraps"

4. Have just a modicum of charisma and a resonant voice.

5. Get yourself a radio show and rant nonstop about all of the above.

Limbaugh is proof to me that you don't need much talent or ability to get rich in America.
How dare you badmouth Rush you Latte sipping, Volvo driving, liberal freak. Ok ready for my first million LOL

Old 01-05-2010, 10:09 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
Nor should a job guarantee health insurance. People's health should never be attached to their employer, it is ludicrous. An employer should not be the provider of health benefits. Insurance should be a private matter so that people are not stuck working a job just because it provides insurance, then when they get axed, they are up sh%t creek. Another fine example of how government solutions often create as many problems as they try to fix.
Man, do I ever agree with this. Your last sentence seems off the mark; IIRC the practice of employers providing health insurance dates to WW-II when employers had trouble attracting skilled personnel and began offering health insurance as an incentive to lure people to come to work for them. I don't recall reading anywhere that it was any sort of government mandate. The practice gained after the war and was a key point in many union contracts in the steel, auto and other unionized industries, as well as in most public employment.

I find it bizarre that our nation expects its employers, even small businesses and the mom & pop shops, to be knowledgeable in how to buy insurance plans for employees. Insane; just plain nuts. Imagine all the time wasted by hundreds of thousands of firms, large and small, trying to figure out which insurance plan is best, not to mention that they have to up their prices to cover the costs of employee health care. I've read that $1500.00 of the cost a new GM car is due to health care costs of its employees, a cost that NONE of the foreign firms have to bear, and we wonder why GM and other automakers are now bankrupt? We have met the enemy and it R us.

How to solve the current mess is for another thread.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 01-05-2010, 10:32 AM

8,630 posts, read 9,137,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post

If it is that simple, please tell us how to bring down these high costs in a capitalistic system?
If I were to keep it purely for profit business I would impose federal oversite-regulation over all U.S. health insurance companies and impose anti-trust laws on health insurance companies in which they do not now. This will allow an even playing field through out the 50 states so that large groups of insured will not be discriminated against because only one insurance company dominates that particular state which is prevalent now because only the states regulate the health insurance companies, compelling these companies to jump to other states to avoid regulations they do not like. Once these companies are regulated by the fed people will be able to really find competition within large groups of people in other states in order to lower cost.

I am not holding my breath on my statement above because the for profit insurance companies will find a way to fleese americans, and in time will force the Fed to push for a one payer system the rest of the world has all ready figured out, I'm afraid.

Old 01-05-2010, 10:36 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,938,118 times
Once again Rush proves he does not have a clue what he is talking about. Heck even mant Republicans do not believe our healthcare system is just fine. But then again being Rush does not need healthcare since he is a multi-Millionaire and it does not affect him I wonder why he even has an opinion, oh yes, ratings$$$$.
Casper
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies