Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2010, 06:02 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,685,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
A retired U.S. general says Dutch troops failed to defend against the 1995 genocide in the Bosnian war because the army was weakened, partly because it included openly gay soldiers.

Dutch defense ministry spokesman Roger Van de Wetering said in a telephone interview that he finds it "unbelievable that a man of this rank is stating this nonsense."
Retired general says gays made Dutch army weak, partly to blame for 1995 genocide in Bosnia - latimes.com (http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/politics/wire/sns-ap-us-military-gays-dutch,0,4788015.story - broken link)

Good thing the dinosaur is a retired General and not a current one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2010, 06:08 PM

971 posts, read 1,295,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Retired general says gays made Dutch army weak, partly to blame for 1995 genocide in Bosnia - latimes.com (http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/politics/wire/sns-ap-us-military-gays-dutch,0,4788015.story - broken link)

Good thing the dinosaur is a retired General and not a current one.
So in addition to hurricanes and earthquakes, gays now cause European genocides?

As a gay man, how do I tap into this amazing power source which I apparently possess somewhere within me?

Old 03-18-2010, 06:16 PM

2,239 posts, read 3,231,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverkid View Post
So in addition to hurricanes and earthquakes, gays now cause European genocides?

As a gay man, how do I tap into this amazing power source which I apparently possess somewhere within me?
LOL...good one! These old farts are just too much. I'm sure the general is having sex with his young male lover now as we speak!

Old 03-18-2010, 06:22 PM

3,079 posts, read 1,117,883 times
Do you think this applies to lesbians too??

Ahhhhh....to hold so much power.....(sigh)

Old 03-18-2010, 06:23 PM

1,773 posts, read 1,267,449 times
Apparently that guy thinks all the gays in the military were busy playing tiddly-winks & tiptoeing through the tulips when the poop hit the fan. Because, you know, that's what gays do.

Old 03-18-2010, 07:04 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,402,807 times
the dutch "military" is a joke and the things they allow in it are what bring it to that. I have served with them in Bosnia and saw it firsthand. They are allowed to dye their hair colors like blue and have all sorts of piercings. They are really the joke of all EUFOR. I also went to Srebrenica and saw firsthand what they allowed there. Any dutch military serving at that site should be executed for what they allowed.

Might want to educate yourself before replying to this because I have plenty of knowledge on the subject. Also have pictures taken inside the un building/former Yugoslavian battery factory where a lot of this took place.

Old 03-18-2010, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
the dutch "military" is a joke and the things they allow in it are what bring it to that. I have served with them in Bosnia and saw it firsthand. They are allowed to dye their hair colors like blue and have all sorts of piercings. They are really the joke of all EUFOR.
If all of that is true, it sounds more like a discipline and organizational problem than anything else. I don't see what it has to do with gays.

Gays are already in the U.S. military, and most hetero soldiers say that they know other soldiers who are gay. The fact that the gay soldiers are not allowed to say, "I'm gay", is ridiculous. Since most of the straight guys already know who is gay and who isn't, their response to them would probably be, "Well, duh. No kidding."

Old 03-18-2010, 07:12 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,175,629 times

Old 03-18-2010, 07:44 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,402,807 times
It is the lack of quality people they allow in and that includes the flamboyant gays. I served 20 years and I knew of some gays, but they were professional people. These things in the dutch military are not professional anything. A lot of the EUFOR people didn't care for them because of the way they carried themselves. It was like a bunch of the extreme cliques from high school and college, but wearing a uniform. Even the French were more professional.. and I'm joking there. Most of the French military I worked with were very professional. The only other really bad ones serving on Butmir in Sarajevo were the Turks, but that's a whole 'nother story.

Old 03-18-2010, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
It is the lack of quality people they allow in and that includes the flamboyant gays. I served 20 years and I knew of some gays, but they were professional people. These things in the dutch military are not professional anything. A lot of the EUFOR people didn't care for them because of the way they carried themselves. It was like a bunch of the extreme cliques from high school and college, but wearing a uniform. Even the French were more professional.. and I'm joking there. Most of the French military I worked with were very professional. The only other really bad ones serving on Butmir in Sarajevo were the Turks, but that's a whole 'nother story.
I appreciate your feedback. Whatever the case is with the Dutch, I don't think the retired General's comments can be applied to the U.S. Military. All of the other European countries (plus Canada, Australia, etc.) have figured out how to allow everyone to serve equally, regardless of sexual orientation. There's no reason why we can't do the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies