Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2010, 10:08 AM

1,503 posts, read 1,155,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
I am not part of the "birther" crowd so please don't pigeonhole me with them. However, I don't think there is any doubt in anyone's mind--even the "birthers"--that he did attend the schools he said he did. The ONLY record that I can see in the list I gave you that could conceivably be damaging to Obama would be the Occidental College records. The possibility that he attended that college on a foreign student scholarship IS an unanswered question.
The totality of your post demonstrate the lack of truth in this statement. If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, has feathers, it's a duck.

Old 05-12-2010, 10:12 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,072,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpNort View Post
After reading the last few pages, I don't appriciate being called a racist for not believing everything that has been presented. I look at all the evidence and make a judgement call. That has nothing to do with being a racist.
Who called you a racist?

Old 05-12-2010, 10:20 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,202,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinestone View Post
The totality of your post demonstrate the lack of truth in this statement. If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, has feathers, it's a duck.
Clearly another closed minded liberal who cannot understand anyone who looks at both sides of an issue and is willing to respond sensibly and sanely to reasonable requests. Stop smearing me with your "mud brush"--some of it may slop back on you.

Old 05-12-2010, 10:23 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,309,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman
Bush's school records were not released. They were hacked and leaked. Before that, I can't remember a single presidential candidate ever being asked to prove they went to such and such college or university beyond having those colleges or universities publicly acknowledge those candidates as past graduates---which all have done in Obama's case. It's simply unrealistic and unfair not to accept the written and posted confirmations from the administrators of Occidental, Columbia and Harvard Law on Obama's history there as a student. Wanting papers he wrote as a student, grades and financial records as proof that he attended those colleges and universities is intrusive at best and insulting at worse and totally irrelevant to whether or not he's eligibility to serve as president under the constitutional requirements.
Quote:
(incomplete answer - posted too soon.)
How was my above reply "incomplete" to the post below that I was addressing? I said what I wanted to say.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wranglerdavis
I'm not a "birther". I believe he was born here. I did have a few doubts before he produced the birth certificate because I had heard that his grandma said he was born in Kenya and his sister said he was born in a hospital different from where he said he was born. I've come to believe these were mistakes like when Michelle Obama said he was born in Africa during a recent visit (can't remember the exact quote she said, but like I said I think she just mispoke). However, as to why it's anyone's business, I would argue that most if not all former presidents have released school records at least at the college level. I do know that Bush was ridiculed throughout his whole presidency for getting C's in college and being stupid even though he was smart enough to fly fighter jets...and no I'm not a big Bush supporter so don't call me a racist.

Old 05-12-2010, 10:24 AM

1,503 posts, read 1,155,783 times
Quote:
Clearly another closed minded liberal who cannot understand anyone who looks at both sides of an issue and is willing to respond sensibly and sanely to reasonable requests. Stop smearing me with your "mud brush"--some of it may slop back on you.
LOL Thanks from the self anointed moderate. QUACK QUACK

Old 05-12-2010, 10:26 AM

26,562 posts, read 14,436,712 times
Quote:
The ONLY record that I can see in the list I gave you that could conceivably be damaging to Obama would be the Occidental College records. The possibility that he attended that college on a foreign student scholarship IS an unanswered question.....
this was an april fool's day joke that has been perpetuated till many birthers believe it to be fact.

Was Obama Born in the USA? | FactCheck.org

Old 05-12-2010, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
How was my above reply "incomplete" to the post below that I was addressing? I said what I wanted to say.
I accidentally hit the "Reply" button before I had put in everything I want to say. That's why I edited that post. My post on the following page is the complete one. Just trying to be clear and complete and to answer all your questions, as I think they are reasonable and the tone of all your posts has been civil and adult.

Old 05-12-2010, 10:33 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,864,851 times
Quote:
Oh, blaaaaahhh. Close-minded?

A Presidential candidate releases his birth certificate. The state that issued the birth certificate publicly affirms the validity of the birth certificate. The question then is why would any reasonable person continue to doubt the veracity of the birth certificate.

If someone has a birth certificate, questionable or not, and the state that issued it goes out of its way to verify the validity of that birth certificate, I have no reason to doubt the state, and I don't understand why anyone else would have either.

A step-grandmother is mis-translated? So what.

A half-sister doesn't know which hospital her older half-brother was born at? So what.

Neither of these things is sufficient to doubt the word of the state. Neither of these things is sufficient to doubt the word of the candidate. There's just nothing on the birther side that is sufficient to outweigh the word of both Obama and the State of Hawaii. It's reasonable, then, to accept the word of both, unless some other evidence should come up. But, despite the efforts of numerous birthers, no actual evidence has come up.

Old 05-12-2010, 10:34 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,072,496 times
Quote:
John McCain's eligibility was questioned and he provided a document that cannot be disputed in any way.
Not true.

To this day, John McCain has never released a single document in support of his eligibility, and particularly he has never released his birth certificate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach
Obama's college records and many other pertinent records are still not public. These are legitimate requests.
Why would you imagine that these are legitimate requests? I am quite familiar with the Constitution, and there does not exist a requirement for a particular GPA or even college attendance. Truman, for example never went to college at all.

No prior president or presidential candidate has ever voluntarily released their college transcripts. Why is Obama a special case?

Quote:
That Obama may have released "more than most presidential candidates have", while that may or may not be accurate, it does not excuse his reluctance to be forthcoming with a part of the American populace and only intensifies the deep division that is tearing the country apart.
Oh... it is accurate. But certainly you jest when you pretend that Obama's "reluctance" to jump through unreasonable hoops is responsible for "the deep division."

The simple demonstrated truth is that Birthers do not care what is true or what anybody releases unless it conforms to their prejudices. For a sitting President of the United States (any sitting president) to "feed the trolls" on an issue like this would set an absurd precedent in American politics and law.

Birthers should not receive satisfaction because they do not deserve it. It is frankly as much a moral issue as a political and legal one.

Quote:
Saying this respectfully, but to say that the release of all the records would not be enough is speculation and nothing more right now.
Sadly, it is not the slightest speculative. It is a fact demonstrated repeatedly over the last two years, beginning with the Birther response to Obama's release of his Hawaiian birth certificate.

As ultra-right wing blogger Erick Erickson pointed out on AC360 last week, "These people are masters of moving the goalposts. If Jesus Christ were to come back tomorrow surrounded by angels and say that Barack Obama is a citizen, they would say, it is probably the Antichrist. Let's stick around and wait for the real Jesus to come."

Old 05-12-2010, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecking ball View Post
this was an april fool's day joke that has been perpetuated till many birthers believe it to be fact.

Was Obama Born in the USA? | FactCheck.org
I know about that email that has been flying around the internet for over a year now. I have received it countless times and I have responded every time to the sender and told them that Occidental College has not released any of Obama's records and told them this was an April Fool's joke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies