Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 11:28 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,253,825 times

Advertisements

I think that the real reason was the same thing that caused the loss of farming jobs from 1800, about 97%, to the present day 3%. That was technology and we have only one way to move away from that. Reverse our technology and hope for the best is the way.

Walter E. Williams : Untrue Beliefs - Townhall.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 11:36 AM

2,482 posts, read 8,730,791 times
Sorry, what? Did I honestly just read you want to REVERSE TECHNOLOGY AND PRAY?
Sorry but that will never happen. Technology changes. Maybe its time for people (you know the party involved that actually HAS a brain and is SUPPOSE to be able to adapt) change and gain some extra skills outside of manufacturing?

Old 01-06-2010, 11:38 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
We would need a separate thread for each of the leading manufacturing areas that have been in decline in the U.S. The story about steel, auto, machine manufacturing and consumer electronic each have their own complex story. Simply comparing GDP of the manufacturing sector and making the argument that technology is the single issue, is more than an oversimplification.

Old 01-06-2010, 11:58 AM

2,539 posts, read 4,085,484 times
Having worked in one of the major industries for 36 years, steel, I feel qualified to comment on the loss of much of this industry in our country. Ten of those years were in the union and the remainder twenty-six in management. I always felt the wages and benefits bargained for were legitimate. The work schedule/hours, environment and the dangers associated with the jobs were real and took a toll on your life as well as the families.
The companies exploited the customers and the government for every penny they could get. I do have to say one thing though, the quality of any product we produced was far beyond any of our foreign competitors. The company was slow to advance in technologies and the union fought it as well.
To say the least, "We are our worst enemy" in this country and still are.

Old 01-06-2010, 12:02 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,842,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmerkyGrl View Post
Sorry, what? Did I honestly just read you want to REVERSE TECHNOLOGY AND PRAY?
Sorry but that will never happen. Technology changes. Maybe its time for people (you know the party involved that actually HAS a brain and is SUPPOSE to be able to adapt) change and gain some extra skills outside of manufacturing?
How insulting

Why dont we all just become doctors also. Wait then we wouldnt have anyone to fix our dinner at Dennys or we cant get the fries to go with the shake from McDonalds

You need to throw out your computer, Tv and many machines that those in manufacturing put together so you can wish they become jobless

Old 01-06-2010, 12:04 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,314,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I think that the real reason was the same thing that caused the loss of farming jobs from 1800, about 97%, to the present day 3%. That was technology and we have only one way to move away from that. Reverse our technology and hope for the best is the way.

There are closet luddites everywhere!

Luddite - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-06-2010, 12:07 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,314,292 times
It's like, happening, man.

Detroit: Farming Paradise?

Old 01-06-2010, 12:10 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post

Technology did not outsource the numbers of manufacturing jobs you speak of, wages, taxes, and federal mandates did... If it was Technology, companies wouldnt have had a need to move their manufacturing to other countries, they simply would have had big warehouses here run 100% by machines.

Old 01-06-2010, 12:16 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,253,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
It's like, happening, man.

Detroit: Farming Paradise?
Great article that seems to hold out some hope to the people who have stayed around. Now how do we get that thing going with all those people who have their hands out for the Obama stash money? I think they may well hang around looking for more freebies and since food may be a problem they may be liable to steal it.

Good article without all my pessimistic thinking.

Old 01-06-2010, 12:21 PM

3,857 posts, read 4,213,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
How insulting

Why dont we all just become doctors also. Wait then we wouldnt have anyone to fix our dinner at Dennys or we cant get the fries to go with the shake from McDonalds

You need to throw out your computer, Tv and many machines that those in manufacturing put together so you can wish they become jobless
So much for "let's talk like adults."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies