Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 01:21 AM

331 posts, read 498,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Put down the bong. The subject is evolutionary biology, not abortion.
Wow, that sounds familiar! Assume me I'm "ILLEGALLY" using marijuana because I'm a Christian, or a conservative. Like I haven't heard that before.

I was simply equating two topics. I mean, after all, this IS the politics and controversies forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2010, 01:25 AM

9,763 posts, read 10,521,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmac112 View Post
Wow, that sounds familiar! Assume me I'm "ILLEGALLY" using marijuana because I'm a Christian, or a conservative. Like I haven't heard that before.

I was simply equating two topics. I mean, after all, this IS the politics and controversies forum.
It's because you're equating two completely unrelated topics that I'm telling you to put down the bong. Comprendes? Do you really think you're that clever?

Old 01-16-2010, 01:39 AM

Quote:
It's because you're equating two completely unrelated topics that I'm telling you to put down the bong. Comprendes? Do you really think you're that clever?
No comprendo. I don't think that I'm clever. I was simply pointing out that fetuses are lifeless as well. They also evolve.

AND... I'm still not on marijuana. The only time I get a taste of marijuana is when I walk to school, and walk through a nice green cloud that my welfare tax dollars probably pay for.

Old 01-16-2010, 01:53 AM

Quote:
No comprendo. I don't think that I'm clever. I was simply pointing out that fetuses are lifeless as well.
Human children are lifeless? Give it up dude. Your attempt at sneaking abortion into the discussion has failed. I'd say nice try, but it wasn't.
Quote:
They also evolve.
Impossible. An organism can't evolve. Only a population of organisms can. This was a nice try, but fail again.

Quote:
AND... I'm still not on marijuana. The only time I get a taste of marijuana is when I walk to school, and walk through a nice green cloud that my welfare tax dollars probably pay for.
If you're seeing green clouds, then you're on acid, not pot. Metaphorically speaking, of course.

Old 01-16-2010, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Human children are lifeless? Give it up dude. Your attempt at sneaking abortion into the discussion has failed. I'd say nice try, but it wasn't.
OK, my futile attempt to defend my faith to a bunch of godless liberals has failed. I'll recede into the night.

Quote:
Impossible. An organism can't evolve. Only a population of organisms can. This was a nice try, but fail again.
Excuse me, but this is the definition of evolve:

[v] acquire or build up traits or characteristics

...according to Princeton's WordNet. Now, are you meaning to tell me that a fetus doesn't evolve over nine months? Grow from looking like a tiny seed (with eyes and a nose and other human features) to a full human? Eh?

Also, are you telling me that any human, not just a fetus, can't acquire or build up traits or characteristics over a period of time? If I move to Arizona, I'll probably develop a tan, and a tolerance for 110-degree heat, right? That's evolution at work. Acquiring the traits needed for living in a new environment, e.g. the fetus's acquiring human features needed for surviving outside the womb (yes, as in sustaining life).

Quote:
If you're seeing green clouds, then you're on acid, not pot. Metaphorically speaking, of course.
Yes, the green clouds are metaphoric. Marijuana (actually, cannabis) is a green plant. I figured that the pot-loving liberals would know that!

And I know this from growing up in a liberally-funded poor area. I literally walk by a group of 5 people smoking marijuana on my way to school. It actually smells a little bit like H2S, but you have to live in the oilfield to know that smell (kinda rotten-eggy).

Old 01-16-2010, 02:39 AM

Quote:
OK, my futile attempt to defend my faith to a bunch of godless liberals has failed. I'll recede into the night.
I'm no liberal. What makes you think I am? What makes you think I'm "godless?" Do you just go around labelling people who challenge you? Is that how your mind works?

You're not defending anything, because nothing has been attacked. You're prosthelytizing. Go prosthelytize somewhere else. This thread is about science.

Quote:
Excuse me, but this is the definition of evolve:

[v] acquire or build up traits or characteristics

...according to Princeton's WordNet. Now, are you meaning to tell me that a fetus doesn't evolve over nine months? Grow from looking like a tiny seed (with eyes and a nose and other human features) to a full human? Eh?

Also, are you telling me that any human, not just a fetus, can't acquire or build up traits or characteristics over a period of time? If I move to Arizona, I'll probably develop a tan, and a tolerance for 110-degree heat, right? That's evolution at work. Acquiring the traits needed for living in a new environment, e.g. the fetus's acquiring human features needed for surviving outside the womb (yes, as in sustaining life).
Science, dude. Science, not dictionary definitions. You are aware that the OP is discussing a scientific theory, not various defintions of "evolve?"

Quote:
Yes, the green clouds are metaphoric. Marijuana (actually, cannabis) is a green plant. I figured that the pot-loving liberals would know that!

And I know this from growing up in a liberally-funded poor area. I literally walk by a group of 5 people smoking marijuana on my way to school. It actually smells a little bit like H2S, but you have to live in the oilfield to know that smell (kinda rotten-eggy).
Pot-loving liberals? You're funny. Pot-loving lazy bum welfare check cashing food stamp using hip-hop listening black mexican baby killing liberals.

You've got liberal on the brain. It's a terrifying disease, but I hear medical marijuana can ease your pain.

Old 01-16-2010, 03:11 AM

1,125 posts, read 1,590,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
No, they don't go "hand in hand." Evolution is a fact - it just goes on its own power. Creation is a man-made fairy tale that hitchhikes on the back of evolution.

Seriously, there's no reason for an intelligent person to bend and twist and rationalize just so a creation myth can be crammed into one's understanding of the world. Sensible peolple don't need it.
See the problem with you evolution only people is that you never stop to consider one simple question....

What started it all?

You can talk scientifically all day long showing everyone how various forms of life have evolved, but you can never find what got everything started and there is a simple reason for this, there is no scientific instrument that can be used to identify God.

So indeed creation and evolution go hand in hand. But please, go ahead and decide that only one side has merit, it is your right after all.

Old 01-16-2010, 03:45 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,266,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymberwulf View Post
See the problem with you evolution only people is that you never stop to consider one simple question....

What started it all?

You can talk scientifically all day long showing everyone how various forms of life have evolved, but you can never find what got everything started and there is a simple reason for this, there is no scientific instrument that can be used to identify God.

So indeed creation and evolution go hand in hand. But please, go ahead and decide that only one side has merit, it is your right after all.
How about nobody knows, but some sky-daddy is highly unlikely.
Science has theories that might explain it, that's why they study.
What does it matter anyway.

Now, back to your regularly disrupted and hijacked thread...

Old 01-16-2010, 05:16 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,459,348 times
Just a Reminder: Evolution doesn't deal with the origin of life. It does deal, as Darwin made pretty clear, with the origin of species. Complaining that evolution doesn't explain "how it all got started" is about as nonsensical as complaining that there are no goalposts in baseball.

Old 01-16-2010, 07:22 AM

757 posts, read 802,501 times
I hate to inject science into your emotionalism.

A child (plural: children) is a human between the stages BIRTH and PUBERTY. Child - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Obviously a fetus is not a human child.

Quote:
Hmmmm.... Lifeless, like a fetus? Or, should I call it by its real name: a human child?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies