Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 05:36 PM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times

Advertisements

I find it very difficult to have faith in anything this man or his administration is saying, especially when it comes to the war on terror.

His Administration reduced the war on terror to an "overseas contingency program", and terms such as "Islamic terrorist," "jihad" and "Muslim extremist" have been scrubbed from administration's lexicon.

He sends less troops then his general request to Afghanistan, and in the same breath says he will begin pulling them out in 18 months.

On December 28th 0bama said:

"Now, this was a serious reminder of the dangers that we face and the nature of those who threaten our homeland. Had the suspect succeeded in bringing down that plane, it could have killed nearly 300 passengers and crew, innocent civilians preparing to celebrate the holidays with their families and friends.

Finally, the American people should remain vigilant, but also be confident. Those plotting against us seek not only to undermine our security, but also the open society and the values that we cherish as Americans. This incident, like several that have preceded it, demonstrates that an alert and courageous citizenry are far more resilient than an isolated extremist."

44 - Transcript of Obama remarks on airline security and terror watch lists

On Dec 28, after two days of questioning Abdul Mudallad and researching who and what he is, 0bama refers to him as a suspect and an isolated extremist.

Then today, 0bama called Abdul Mudallad a known terrorist, who should have been on all no fly lists.

"This afternoon my counterterrorism and homeland security adviser, John Brennan, will discuss his review into our terrorist watch list system, how our government failed to connect the dots in a way that would have prevented a known terrorist from boarding a plane for America, and the steps we're going to take to prevent that from happening again.

[snip}
At the Amsterdam airport, Abulmutallab was subjected to the same screening as other passengers. He was required to show his documents, including a valid U.S. visa. His carry-on bag was X-rayed. He passed through a metal detector.
"

Obama outlines security review of terrorist attempt | In Obama's Words | The Washington Post

I have to wonder how a "known terrorist" was able to get a valid US visa, and why the president would allow a "known terrorist" to be read his Miranda rights, and lawyered up with the right to remain silent, as if he were a US citizen??

It seems to me as if our president cannot make up his mind if we are at war or not. Apparently when he is dealing with Al Qaida over seas they are a terrorist enemy, and he kills them by using drones to launch missiles and bombs to kill them, but when Al Qaida operatives come to our shores to kill our people, he feels he is dealing with simple law breakers.

In other words, if they are known terrorists trying to kill people overseas, 0bama has them killed, but if they are on our shores trying to kill Americans, he calls them a suspects and gives them lawyers and treats them like a US citizen and a possible lawbreaker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 05:48 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,354,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Is president Obama serious this time about the war on terror?
If this is a poll, I vote no.

Old 01-07-2010, 05:54 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Well..we're seeing articles on sending troops to Yemen although the WH has ruled that out "for now".
If he's not serious about this then what is the real reason ?

Why are we spreading outselves thin in ME countries ?

Old 01-07-2010, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Well..we're seeing articles on sending troops to Yemen although the WH has ruled that out "for now".
If he's not serious about this then what is the real reason ?

Why are we spreading outselves thin in ME countries ?
IMHO the terrorists who come to our shores should receive the harshest treatment, instead we are coddling them and treating them as us citizens an possible lawbreakers.

Old 01-07-2010, 06:02 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,573,373 times
He always was and always will be serious about the war.

Old 01-07-2010, 06:09 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
You are pissing into the wind with these folks.

Old 01-07-2010, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
..and yet he is not consistent when dealing with terrorists. Explain how a "known terrorist" can get a valid US visa, and be given a lawyer as if he was simply an unruly US citizen flying on a commercial airline?

I'll answer it for you, its because 0bama thinks the war on terror against groups like al Qaeda are overseas, and the war on terror ends at home in America. If he identifies terrorist suspects overseas, he launches missiles to kill them, but if they are on our shores he treats them to miranda rights and gives them Constitutional rights to remain silent.

Old 01-07-2010, 06:10 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,326,934 times
I don't doubt that he has our country's best interests at heart, but I seriously question his naivete. I think he's out of his realm when it comes to foreign affairs, defense of this country, the needs of the military (well I could go on and on, but for the sake of this thread I'll leave it there).

Old 01-07-2010, 06:14 PM

1,773 posts, read 1,266,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
..and yet he is not consistent when dealing with terrorists. Explain how a "known" terrorist can get a valid US visa, and be given a lawyer as if he was simply an unruly US citizen flying on a commercial airline?
Have you been following this story? There was a serious lax in communication between ALL agencies in the system, starting w/when this guy was denied a visa into England.

Old 01-07-2010, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedjat View Post
Have you been following this story? There was a serious lax in communication between ALL agencies in the system, starting w/when this guy was denied a visa into England.
One day Janet Napolitano says “The system worked”, the next day 0bama says its a systemic failure, one day Abulmutallab is a suspect and an isolated extremist, the next day he is a known terrorist who should have been on a no fly list.

Then once they catch Abulmutallab they do not turn him over to the people conducting the war, he is turned over to civilian authorities where he is given the right to remain silent. We do not turn over terrorists caught on the battle field to civilians, because we are at war!! Does 0bama think we are fighting a war, or are we in the midst of a crime spree, or does the war end at our shores?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies