Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 12:47 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,479,243 times

Advertisements

Well, look on the bright side. At least we aren't looking at some Republican health care plan that doesn't insure anybody and still ends up costing more than the Democratic plan. How dumb do you have to be to end up with a plan like that? First, there's the Republican stimulus bill that doesn't stimulate, then the Republican budget that doesn't have any numbers in it, then the health care plan that doesn't insure anybody, and what's the Republican energy plan now...still stuck on drill, baby, drill? What an incredible bunch of losers. What they really ought to put on C-SPAN is some of these Republican strategy sessions. Boehner could end up with an Emmy as Best Actor in a Comedy Series...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 01:08 AM

103 posts, read 118,487 times
Too funny.

My sellout isn't as bad as your sellout.

Yea, like that makes it all better.

Just a rationalization to keep blindly following idiots and morons right off the cliff like good little lemmings.

Old 01-07-2010, 01:30 AM

Well, drag all the usual hack right-wing arguments through here that you want, at the end of the day, the important thing is that we get this process going since the status quo is quite simply a toxic waste dump. The US has had the worst health care system in the developed world for long enough. Top dollar for bottom-of-the-barrel performance? No thanks. All the squabbling now is over essentially minor issues at the margin. The bill that emerges will be a major advance over where we are today, a landmark accomplishment that caps a century's worth of effort and provides the framework that some periodic revision and fine-tuning can eventually turn into a first-class system. I don't expect to see it, but my grandkids and unborn generations beyond them will. And they'll be thanking us for a job well done...

Old 01-07-2010, 02:25 AM

54 posts, read 62,741 times
Quote:
Well, drag all the usual hack right-wing arguments through here that you want, at the end of the day, the important thing is that we get this process going since the status quo is quite simply a toxic waste dump. The US has had the worst health care system in the developed world for long enough. Top dollar for bottom-of-the-barrel performance? No thanks.
The funny thing is you have no idea what you are talking about. Have you ever lived in another country with different health care to the United States? I have i lived in Australia for 5 years. Dental Health care in Australia is horrible they have old people with their teeth rotting waiting for a dentist. When i was there a friends son was involved in a accident and needed plastic surgery he had to wait for months just to see the surgeon. They also have a thing called the PBS that attempts to provide prescription medicine in a way that is affordable only thing is guess what if a new drug comes out on the market you can't have it something that will make your quality of life better you can't have unless you pay for out of pocket. The only way you do actually get it is after months and months of waiting a generic comes out. There is also a thing called Authority required benefits that they have inside the PBS system. I'm sure you can figure out what that means.

US Health care is hardly "bottom-of-the-barrel".

Last edited by Aejarak; 01-07-2010 at 02:40 AM..

Old 01-07-2010, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aejarak View Post
US Health care is hardly "bottom-of-the-barrel".
Sen. Al FRANKEN: I think we disagree on whether health care reform, the health care reform that we’re talking about in Congress now, should pass. You said that the way we’re going will increase bankruptcies. I want to ask you, how many bankruptcies because of medical crises were there last year in Switzerland?

Diana FURCHTGOTT-ROTH (Hudson Institute): I don’t have that number in front of me, but I can find out and get back to you.

Sen. Al FRANKEN: I can tell you how many it was. It’s zero. Do you know how many medical bankruptcies there were last year in France?

Diana FURCHTGOTT-ROTH (Hudson Institute): I don’t have that number, but I can get back to you if you like.

Sen. Al FRANKEN: Yeah, the number is zero. Do you know how many there were in Germany?

Diana FURCHTGOTT-ROTH (Hudson Institute): From the trend of your questions, I’m assuming the number is zero. But I don’t know the precise number and would have to get back to you.

Sen. Al FRANKEN: Well, you’re very good. Very fast. The point is, I think we need to go in THAT direction, not the opposite direction. Thank you.

Old 01-07-2010, 03:13 AM

54 posts, read 62,741 times
Quote:
Sen. Al FRANKEN: I think we disagree on whether health care reform, the health care reform that we’re talking about in Congress now, should pass. You said that the way we’re going will increase bankruptcies. I want to ask you, how many bankruptcies because of medical crises were there last year in Switzerland?

Diana FURCHTGOTT-ROTH (Hudson Institute): I don’t have that number in front of me, but I can find out and get back to you.

Sen. Al FRANKEN: I can tell you how many it was. It’s zero. Do you know how many medical bankruptcies there were last year in France?

Diana FURCHTGOTT-ROTH (Hudson Institute): I don’t have that number, but I can get back to you if you like.

Sen. Al FRANKEN: Yeah, the number is zero. Do you know how many there were in Germany?

Diana FURCHTGOTT-ROTH (Hudson Institute): From the trend of your questions, I’m assuming the number is zero. But I don’t know the precise number and would have to get back to you.

Sen. Al FRANKEN: Well, you’re very good. Very fast. The point is, I think we need to go in THAT direction, not the opposite direction. Thank you.
That is not what you said. You said that we pay top dollar for "bottom-of-the-barrel" performance. Your quotes only back up the paying top dollar not the "bottom-of-the-barrel" performance.

Judging from your post i assume i am correct and you have never experienced another country's health care then. Being uninsured in America sucks but a bill being rushed through that no Democrat or wealthy person will even have to abide by is not the right way to do things. You think dead Kennedy would wait in line with you? Would let you have the life saving surgery before him?

Health care is a boring debate as the only thing you can fall back on is your own sense of morality. People are dying every 10 seconds people are going bankrupt every 5 seconds we have to help them no matter the cost!

Old 01-07-2010, 04:41 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,755,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Well, drag all the usual hack right-wing arguments through here that you want, at the end of the day, the important thing is that we get this process going since the status quo is quite simply a toxic waste dump. The US has had the worst health care system in the developed world for long enough. Top dollar for bottom-of-the-barrel performance? No thanks. All the squabbling now is over essentially minor issues at the margin. The bill that emerges will be a major advance over where we are today, a landmark accomplishment that caps a century's worth of effort and provides the framework that some periodic revision and fine-tuning can eventually turn into a first-class system. I don't expect to see it, but my grandkids and unborn generations beyond them will. And they'll be thanking us for a job well done...

It ain't done yet.....

And I am sure this argument will be ever so comforting to the unions as their membership is taxed to the eye balls. Come November they'll remember.

Old 01-07-2010, 05:12 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,310,746 times
The GOP has been nothing but a negative force when it has come to the healthcare debate this entire year. We know what they are against. I have yet to figure out what they are for other than just leaving a moribund system the way that it is. I suppose they are also for tort reform, but fail to acknowledge that even if you eliminated the entire malpractice system, you'd only save 1% of all healthcare expenditures.

CBO Malpractice 1%

Nobody seems to grasp the real issue with "Cadillac Health Insurance Plans". Its not some bizarre scheme to persecute the "haves" in society. The Cadillac Health Insurance Plan is a problem because it offers so many benefits to recipients that it encourages over-utilization of health care services. There is an amount of health care--just like any resource--that become superfluous and unnecessary. Cadillac Health Insurance Plans include benefits like elective plastic surgery and medical treatment with no deductible. Over-utilization of healthcare has the effect of driving up the costs for everyone.

Frankly, the unions turning against Obama are the last thing I'm worried about. I'm much more worried about the lies and misinformation that opponents of healthcare reform have flooded the airways with.

Old 01-07-2010, 05:21 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,755,547 times
If this disaster is ever passed the country will applaude the Republican's efforts to stop it.

This poster swerves intothe truth. The desire to tax Cadillac health care plans is a veiled attempt at rationing. I like the way their benefits lead to "over utilization" I am sure the beneficiaries would disagree with you.

Old 01-07-2010, 06:17 AM

9,644 posts, read 9,847,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Will 95% of us will still get our tax breaks as Bubba promised?
You already got your tax credit , No actual tax cut
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies