Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 08:46 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,142,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin13 View Post
It's NOT about sympathy! Duh!

It's about Medical Malpractice. If there is no written consent form signed by that woman for that procedure on file, then SOMEBODY IS IN TROUBLE.

Since it appears that a medical malpractice lawsuit has been filed, the answer to that question should be forthcoming very soon via discovery.

Interesting how you diverted the real issue of doctors performing the wrong surgery, or simply unauthorized surgery/procedure, on someone into a story about a WOMAN who is on welfare and has had lots of children......and her morals or lack thereof. Nothing about the morals or incompetency of the doctors involved.
Good post as usual! While I certainly don't have a high opinion of this woman , she has every right to sue and should. "Doctors as gods" should be outdated and punished.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 08:46 AM

3,857 posts, read 4,213,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
We are only hearing one side of this woman's story - hers. Given the fact that she has nine children that she cannot afford to feed or clothe, it's a safe assumption that she doesn't read carefully or follow directions correctly. She may very well have signed a consent without realizing what she was signing.
Apparently she has a lawyer, and it seems that a lawsuit has been filed. I would hope that the attorney would have tried to verify whether or not there was a written consent before filing the lawsuit. However, in any case, the doctors and hospital can quickly have the case resolved by simply presenting the signed written consent.

I find it a little bit odd that they have not provided such a document and have let the lawsuit go as far as it has, if, in fact, the doctors did have authorization from the woman to perform the procedure.

Old 01-07-2010, 08:49 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,085,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin13 View Post
Easy to judge what is personal responsiblity for other people when you are not in their shoes, isn't it, WorkinHard?
I'd rate breeding like a rabbit and bringing children into the world whom you have no means to support or proerly care for is irresponsible by any measure. Nine is so far over the limit as to be unbelievable!

I waited until I was able to support children before I became a parent. One might be an accident, nine is deliberate.

Maybe she was hoping for a reality show. That's a lot more than the 15 minutes she might get by whining about this.

Old 01-07-2010, 08:50 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/paren...oul-claim.html

The original story says she took an IUD with her the birth and asked the doc to place it. You can't do that immediately after giving birth. It just doesn't make sense.

Old 01-07-2010, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Good post as usual! While I certainly don't have a high opinion of this woman , she has every right to sue and should. "Doctors as gods" should be outdated and punished.
Medical malpractice lawsuits are as a practical matter the ONLY way of regulating doctors. Doctors, like many lawyers, will not usually report incompetence and will not testify against each other, so discipline by state regulatory agencies or other medical professional associations do not have much effect on the actions of doctors. Therefore, the public remains at risk unless there has been some sort of legal action taken.

And I find this kind of thing infuriating.........somebody taking what, at face value, seems to be either clear incompetence by a doctor, or WORSE, a doctor indeed PLAYING GOD and deciding the do an unauthorized procedure based on his own so-called morals, and then they turn the whole issue around and blame it on the victim of that doctor's incompetence.......which is especially easy to do when the victim is a woman.

I'll bet if the victim had been a man, and the doctor cut off his "working parts" and he was the father of 10 children, also receiving welfare benefits, there would not have been nearly so many people to jump on the bandwagon of what a scumbag the guy was and he "deserved" it.

Last edited by Austin13; 01-07-2010 at 09:28 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 01-07-2010, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
I'd rate breeding like a rabbit and bringing children into the world whom you have no means to support or proerly care for is irresponsible by any measure. Nine is so far over the limit as to be unbelievable!

I waited until I was able to support children before I became a parent. One might be an accident, nine is deliberate.

Maybe she was hoping for a reality show. That's a lot more than the 15 minutes she might get by whining about this.
Did anybody ever tell you that YOU do NOT get to decide when other adults have sex? And who ever told you that YOU get to decide how many children an individual woman will have?

If you want to start having sterilization camps, then perhaps you should start working to create an organization which can hire lobbyists to help you make such things legal...........

Old 01-07-2010, 08:59 AM

529 posts, read 1,300,637 times
You know, maybe this is a good thing in the end. She'll get some money, from the stupid doctors that didn't follow the procedures, to raise her kids and she'll leave the rest of the taxpayers alone for a while.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:01 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,201,636 times
If a tubal ligation was performed without her knowledge or written consent, then yes, she has legal grounds for a medical malpractice suit. If she just misunderstood what was to be done but consented to a tubal ligation thinking it was for an IUD, she may not have a case.

All the facts are not out there yet--only the woman's side of the story. There are many unknowns yet to be revealed. Attorneys routinely advise litigants not to discuss a pending case with anyone. By posting about this on Facebook she did not follow her attorney's advice. Which begs the question......why?

Old 01-07-2010, 09:03 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,113,952 times
I'd be willing to bet she didn't think that John McCain was the best candidate to meet her needs.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
I agree that she has the freedom to have as many children as she wants. I do not see such freedom extending to obligating taxpayers to support those children. In your opinion, at what point does personal responsibility enter into the equation?

I want to exercise my personal freedom to stay at home with no viable financial means to do so, continue at my present standard of living, and have a new Corvette appear in my driveway each year. And I want you to support me, financially and morally in my decision. Are you up for it? If so, get out your checkbook!

With freedom comes responsibility. I see none of the latter in her case. She claims 8 of her 9 kids were conceived while in committed relationships. (How about #9? Just a quickie behind the bowling alley or what? But I digress...) Where are the baby daddys now to support all these results, er, love children?
Rather far-reaching there, aren't you? You want to have specific control over how and to whom welfare assistance payments are made? Would you like to have that authority at the federal level and at your local level? Would you like to go in and review every single case and YOU made a determination as to who would be approved and who would not be approved? Well, then, I would suggest that you run for POTUS and see if you can find the time to do so if you were to win.

Your example of what YOU (not to work, same lifestyle) want is absolutely absurd and not even slightly comparable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies