Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 09:51 AM

2,482 posts, read 8,730,791 times

Advertisements

Gonna get flack for this and by no means am I suggesting it was okay to do the procedure without her consent but my first thought was: "Oh thank goodness, what a money-leeching loose-crotched sIut"

Flame away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 09:57 AM

3,857 posts, read 4,213,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
yes, of course it was wrong IF the doc didn't have a consent form. I'm just saying I don't believe her story. Read the story linked in the parenting forum thread. Yes, docs sometimes make mistakes. So do paper pushers. The form probably got lost.
If anything gives her story credibility, IMO, it's the fact that a lawsuit was filed. Of course, it may have been filed by an incompetent attorney and it may be a frivolous lawsuit, but so far the case is still in court it seems, and has not been dismissed as a frivolous lawsuit.

If the doctors/hospital lost the signed consent form, they're in trouble. Yes, people make mistakes, however, to lose a critical legal document like a signed consent form does not sound like just a common, ordinary, usual course of business kind of mistake. EVERYBODY knows the high cost of medical malpractice insurance, and it would certainly seem that such things as legal documents which would protect a doctor/hospital from any medical malpractice lawsuits would be guarded with their lives almost! If not, then I would question the safety of the facility and the competence of the doctor.

As far as I can tell, this is not a situation where this woman is simply out there on her own just trying to garner public sympathy by posting on her Facebook page. A lawsuit has been filed. She has an attorney.

Old 01-07-2010, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmerkyGrl View Post
Gonna get flack for this and by no means am I suggesting it was okay to do the procedure without her consent but my first thought was: "Oh thank goodness, what a money-leeching loose-crotched sIut"

Flame away.
No concern about what doctors may decide to do to "poor folk" in the operating room without consent?

And do any of us know how much money this woman was "leeching"?

Old 01-07-2010, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
I don't want to decide when anyone should have sex other than myself... and my wife (and those times will coincide.... I hope!) I am not even particularly interested in deciding how many children anyone should have. I am, however, concerned when taxpayer money, which I contribute to in no small way, is used to reward breeding by irresponsible fools who seeking public funding for every second of their life. If I'm paying for it, then I'm entitled to express my opinion of it's validity.

Personally, I've no interest in the camps of which you speak but do feel mandatory sterilization, for both males and females, after a certain time on public assistance would be a good idea. This woman could be a poster child for that campaign! Alternatively, offering no additional funds for children born after the date on which a person initially qualifies for public assistance might help to stem cases such as this.

She should be ashamed to show her face in public yet she seeks publicity and notariety for her behavior. Maybe she's hoping someone from TLC will sign her up. She might be thinking it worked for OctoMom and Jon&Kate, why not her?
O-M-G!

You would advocate sterilizing the poor, the uneducated, the retarded, the "least amongst us".......so you don't have a pay a TINY bit of the tax money YOU pay for welfare programs. Btw, what percentage of the federal budget goes to welfare programs? Huh? Your selfishness and greed runneth over. What percentage of YOUR tax money is used for welfare programs?

THEN you move on to advocate punishing innocent CHILDREN for the actions of their parents, who are judged by you to have committed some wrong according to your so-called morals? Cute. Impressive. Ahhhh, the LOVE OF MONEY is quite a sideshow.

Well, I don't know about seeking publicity, and I really have no idea what "seeking publicity" has to do with a DOCTOR performing an unauthorized procedure on ANY PATIENT, including this woman.

Last edited by Austin13; 01-07-2010 at 11:37 AM..

Old 01-07-2010, 10:23 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin13 View Post
No concern about what doctors may decide to do to "poor folk" in the operating room without consent?

And do any of us know how much money this woman was "leeching"?
please read the story that is posted in the parenting forum that I linked to earlier.

here:

http://bostonherald.com/news/regiona...oc#articleFull

read both pages.

Old 01-07-2010, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
please read the story that is posted in the parenting forum that I linked to earlier.

here:

Mom of 9 cries foul - BostonHerald.com

read both pages.
Okay. Thanks.

I think the article gives more credibility to her story than undermines it. She is not a doctor. She is not a medical professional. Whatever she may have "thought" about having an IUD put in doesn't matter. She said she handed the IUD to a NURSE. So what? How does one leap from putting in an IUD to an unauthorized sterilization procedure? According to the article, the lawsuit was filed on Dec. 15th. The hospital and doctors are refusing to comment, which means that if it is a frivolous lawsuit, it is not IMMEDIATELY obvious to the Court that it's frivolous because it hasn't been dismissed yet.

However, the hospital did in fact put in writing that they do not have a signed written consent from her authorizing the procedure. THAT letter, written acknowledgement by the hospital, says a lot. It could very well be that the doctor made a BIG MISTAKE. And that's why doctors pay big money for malpractice insurance. Their mistakes are COSTLY and most often cannot be fixed. The patient cannot be restore to their prior physical condition. At this point, I'm thinking that the doctors and nurses made a mistake. However, making mistakes in surgery have serious consequences and should not happen. There should be many levels of "safety nets" to ensure that a wrong surgery is not performed on any patient.

The woman's attorney seems to have a special type of expertise in this kind of medical malpractice case, so my guess is that maybe this guy knows what he's talking about:

"Savicki’s attorney, Max Borten of Waltham, alleges that his client’s human and constitutional rights were violated and that the hospital had a “total breakdown of protocols.”
“There were violations at many, many levels,” said Borten, a former obstetrician and gynecologist who practiced as a physician for more than 30 years in Massachusetts.

Last edited by Austin13; 01-07-2010 at 10:45 AM..

Old 01-07-2010, 10:31 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,201,636 times
Quote:
"Attorneys routinely advise litigants not to discuss the" case......Duh! Did you read the link. Her attorney himself made a statement!
Duh! Do you really think it was her attorney who broke the story?

Old 01-07-2010, 10:36 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,323,498 times
Quote:
Competent doctors and/or responsible hospitals DO NOT "misplace" critical legal forms like signed consent forms. If such a document were "misplaced" that speaks volumes about the facility and the doctor!

Doctors and medical facilities are very well aware of the costs of medical malpractice insurance..........therefore, such a consent form would be absolutely critical to the functioning of their business.

Doesn't matter what happened regarding the IUD. If the defendants don't have a signed written consent form, or they don't have some sort of sworn statement from the woman giving them consent to perform the procedure, they are in trouble.

Personally, I can't think of any logical reason why the defendants, if they have a signed written consent, would not immediately produce it and get this case thrown out of court IMMEDIATELY. This is bad publicity for the doctor and the hospital, regardless of how the public hates the woman. The doctor and the hospital have to retain attorneys to deal with this. Attorneys are fairly expensive. Even if the hospital has an in-house attorney, the doctor would still be on his/her own and have to retain counsel. To let this matter "fester" is not a good idea.
I don't know why they haven't produced the signed written consent either. All we can do is speculate at this point.

I work in a hospital, and to say that never should anything as important as a signed written consent be misplaced is of course the ideal. Reality is, accidents do happen. Paperwork gets misfiled. We scan and computerize all of our medical records, and the software is not exactly user-friendly. It could just be that it was scanned into the system but entered into the wrong database. That can very easily happen.

You have no problem assigning blame and making disparaging remarks with regards to the doctor and/or hospital yet get all up in arms when we sound off our opinions of this sorry excuse for a parent. Back to my point, everything at this point in time is speculation. You have no idea yet if this doctor did in fact perform any surgical procedure without consent yet or not. I do not condone surgical procedures without informed written consent. I do think that those who work in hospitals overwhelmingly try their best to meet the needs of the patients. I do think that mistakes are inevitable. And based on what little information I do know about this woman, I do think she needs to be b-slapped. CPS should also be looking into this case to make sure the children are at least adequately cared for.

Old 01-07-2010, 10:48 AM

716 posts, read 1,119,356 times
If this is true, it sounds like malpractice.

Old 01-07-2010, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
Duh! Do you really think it was her attorney who broke the story?

Savicki’s attorney, Max Borten of Waltham, alleges that his client’s human and constitutional rights were violated and that the hospital had a “total breakdown of protocols.”
“There were violations at many, many levels,” said Borten, a former obstetrician and gynecologist who practiced as a physician for more than 30 years in Massachusetts.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies