Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Wal-Mart pay the teen grocery baggers?
Yes 41 66.13%
No 16 25.81%
Maybe 4 6.45%
I'm not sure.... 1 1.61%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 01:08 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,318,165 times

Advertisements

Isn't begging an acceptable "trade" in Mexico?

Baggers begging is probably a step up.

Guess it depends whether the beggar obtains more from the customers trash, or from the customer directly.

Whoops, trash mining isn't begging, its mining.

Hey, work is work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 01:12 PM

862 posts, read 1,642,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre57 View Post
Yeah right, it has. Some even ask for one.
I got into a taxi one day and saw a home made sign taped to the back of the front seat, it read:
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
I will admit that I can't stand when someone asks for a tip.

Last time I was asked for a tip I answered "Don't eat yellow snow." And kept the money I was planning on tipping him.

Old 01-07-2010, 01:22 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,786,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I have morals and a conscience, and I don't boycott Wal-Mart. It's a store. Not a church. It's a business. That's all. And it's a business that doesn't do anything that the majority of other businesses don't do as well. You might as well boycott all businesses, because the justifications for boycotting Wal-Mart don't hold water.
I don't doubt you have morals or a conscience, it's just obvious that they are your own and not Christian morals or conscience.

Yes, it's a store, not a church. But I'm sure you draw the line somewhere. It's just that you draw the line in accordance with your personal morals, which are obviously geared more towards capitalism/money-worship than to a Christian morality or even a secular humanist morality.

As for boycotting all business, that's an irrational conclusion to draw. There are few, if any, other businesses who wield the power that Walmart does, and use it to prey upon the disadvantaged. Walmart is the biggest perpetrator of this immorality. They don't even offer any value to their shoppers, who are all brainwashed, mindless zombies that only THINK they are getting some kind of "good deal" by shopping those filthy stores. But that's beside they point - they are a predatory, immoral, unscrupulous company who ONLY ever does something to help people when the threat of law compels them to.

The majority of other businesses don't prey on American industry by leveraging buying power to compel them unfairly to produce their product at artificially lower and lower prices until the business must fold and their products are obtained more cheaply from China or another nation that helps Walmart prey on their disadvantaged.

Walmart is the corporate devil in the world, if ever there was one.

Old 01-07-2010, 01:34 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,870,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
I don't doubt you have morals or a conscience, it's just obvious that they are your own and not Christian morals or conscience.

Yes, it's a store, not a church. But I'm sure you draw the line somewhere. It's just that you draw the line in accordance with your personal morals, which are obviously geared more towards capitalism/money-worship than to a Christian morality or even a secular humanist morality.

As for boycotting all business, that's an irrational conclusion to draw. There are few, if any, other businesses who wield the power that Walmart does, and use it to prey upon the disadvantaged. Walmart is the biggest perpetrator of this immorality. They don't even offer any value to their shoppers, who are all brainwashed, mindless zombies that only THINK they are getting some kind of "good deal" by shopping those filthy stores. But that's beside they point - they are a predatory, immoral, unscrupulous company who ONLY ever does something to help people when the threat of law compels them to.

The majority of other businesses don't prey on American industry by leveraging buying power to compel them unfairly to produce their product at artificially lower and lower prices until the business must fold and their products are obtained more cheaply from China or another nation that helps Walmart prey on their disadvantaged.

Walmart is the corporate devil in the world, if ever there was one.
The way I read your remarks, I think you are failing in employing a Christian morality. You don't seem to have any respect for people who think differently than you. You seem perfectly comfortable standing in righteous judgment, and even more comfortable in exercising that judgment even when you are not in possession of all the facts.

I simply won't waste time discussing an issue with someone who is so close-minded and intolerant.

Old 01-07-2010, 01:40 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,786,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
The way I read your remarks, I think you are failing in employing a Christian morality. You don't seem to have any respect for people who think differently than you. You seem perfectly comfortable standing in righteous judgment, and even more comfortable in exercising that judgment even when you are not in possession of all the facts.

I simply won't waste time discussing an issue with someone who is so close-minded and intolerant.
I have no problem with people employing a different morality, that is their choice which they have the freedom to make.

But you want to use it to cop out of an argument you can't win, so you got what you wanted. Good luck with your money/business-worship; whatever your morality is, it clearly puts the interest of business ahead of the interests of human beings, at least in this particular case regarding Walmart.

And you don't have to be a Christian to put people ahead of business; plenty of atheists, secular humanists, agnostics, etc. do put humans ahead of big business-worship.

Old 01-07-2010, 01:55 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,386,687 times
I am very angry that Walmart treats teenagers like slaves. There aren't any Walmart stores near me but if I were to box groceries than I would expect the minimum wage or picket Walmart.

Old 01-07-2010, 02:01 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
They're just following the standard practice there. If you've ever been to a grocery store in Mexico you'd know that the bag boys work for tips. It's a very free market approach if you think about it. The number of baggers will regulate itself based on the workers' best guess of how much they'll be able to make for standing there waiting. Can't do it here because of the minimum wage laws.
yep, another poll that isn't complete so can't be scientific in anyway. The OP didn't mention this is happening in Mexico. We have no idea the laws there. This might be a standard practice. I would guess it is..

Thanks for pointing out about them working for tips. This is the case in many countries, but I didn't realize it applies to Mexico. Thanks again.

Nita

Old 01-07-2010, 02:02 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,870,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
And you don't have to be a Christian to put people ahead of business; plenty of atheists, secular humanists, agnostics, etc. do put humans ahead of big business-worship.
I do put people ahead of money.

In this case, I put the Mexican people ahead of American people, in terms of determining what is right for their country, and for the businesses that operate in their country.

It's not Christian or non-Christian, to think that the people of a country have a better handle on what's right for their country than the people that don't live in that country.

And as for your comments about losing the argument, when did you share with us the article that you were reading, versus the article cited by the OP? Because the statements you made as coming from the OP article certainly didn't. Or is lying a Christian virtue, now?

Old 01-07-2010, 02:02 PM

1,313 posts, read 1,550,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Tipping is a law?

Not here in Minnesota.

Please, not all of us live on military bases....they are not the "norm".

And I have no qualms about tipping waitpeople, they receive a wage and provide a service, I tip acording to how good the service is and have refrained from tipping when I felt it wasn't deserved.

Having people work for tips alone, not paying wages IS slavery .....and no matter what you call it....is it REALLY good for our economy? Is it really good for America???
Never said tipping was a law. I was referring to lower-wage earners dependent on tips, i.e. waitresses, etc... Some states may have stricter laws on sub-minimum workers.
Please, I didn't say it was the norm. I said I saw it alot.

And, once again, it is NOT slavery when you can simply go work elsewhere. Slaves don;t get that choice.

Old 01-07-2010, 02:03 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Slave labor helps Walmart's economy....no one else's......and isn't slavery against the law????

I would NEVER tip a bagger.
you wouldn't tip a bagger, we used to tip the bag guys when we lived on the east coast and I know of other countries where this is the custom. What you are saying is like, someone from another country saying, because their custom isn't to tip the wait staff they won't do it here in our country. In one post you mentioned you and hubby are capable of handling your own bags, there was a time on the east coast you had no choice. Again, we all have to remember, this isn't happening in America..

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies