Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 11:13 AM

2,170 posts, read 2,860,775 times

Advertisements

"Negro" on Census Form Called Offensive - CBS News

Quote:
(CBS) The use of the term "negro" on the government's 2010 census form has offended some members of the black community in the New York metropolitan area, CBS News station WCBS-TV in New York reported Thursday.

The form - created by the U.S. Census Bureau and approved by Congress more than a year ago - allows people to identify themselves as "negro" during the government's decennial population count for the United States, WCBS-TV reports.

Respondents for the form can check a box identifying themselves as "negro," "African American" and "black." All three terms appear next to the same box.

"The fact that it's 2010 and they're still putting 'negro,' I am a little offended," Secaucus, N.J., resident Dawud Ingram told WCBS-TV. "African Americans haven't been going by the term 'negro' for decades now. It's really confusing."

Census officials told WCBS-TV that the term was added to this decade's form after some respondents - primarily older blacks - wrote "negro" on the form in 2000.
More at the link.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 11:19 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,118,390 times
Actually, I look at it as an attempt to be politically correct in some sort of ass backwards way. The intent is to give a full range of options without offending anyone by leaving them out. Isn't this what political correctness is all about? Accommodating others so their feelings aren't hurt?

Old 01-07-2010, 11:22 AM

2,170 posts, read 2,860,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Actually, I look at it as an attempt to be politically correct in some sort of ass backwards way. The intent is to give a full range of options without offending anyone by leaving them out. Isn't this what political correctness is all about? Accommodating others so their feelings aren't hurt?
Well the census officials did say elderly blacks did tend to self identify as negro so they included it. Good intentions gone bad I'd say.

Old 01-07-2010, 11:23 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,859,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGACK View Post
Oh good God. We all learned it in school....NEGROID (Negro), Caucasoid and Mongoloid.

Who the frick rally cares anymore about these whiners??????

Old 01-07-2010, 11:28 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,948,311 times
reminds me of a Chicano history class I took to fill the numerous stupid requirements of my liberal education.

They spent a bunch of time arguing over the term used. Latino, Chicano, Mexican, etc... with some of them being offended if someone informally referred to them by using the incorrect one. So I just settled for "idiot" for those who made a big deal of it.

Old 01-07-2010, 11:30 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,424,965 times
It's generational.

Older people remember that "Negro" and even "colored" were considered respectful terms back in the day.

Younger people think those terms were always used as slurs.

Old 01-07-2010, 11:36 AM

3,127 posts, read 7,628,243 times
Well maybe when they FINALLY decide what they are going to call themselves, maybe they wont be offended by Negro, which BTW is what THEY ARE!!
African American is stupid......most BLACKS here in the US weren't born in Africa so it's pointless to call them that.
The dreaded "N" word is offensive, but Negro is a term that has been around just as long as the term Caucasian.

Old 01-07-2010, 11:51 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,242,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTwizter View Post
Well maybe when they FINALLY decide what they are going to call themselves, maybe they wont be offended by Negro, which BTW is what THEY ARE!!
African American is stupid......most BLACKS here in the US weren't born in Africa so it's pointless to call them that.
The dreaded "N" word is offensive, but Negro is a term that has been around just as long as the term Caucasian.
A lot of terms have been around for a long time but that doesn't make it right.

You say that African American is stupid but people use terms like this all the time. What about those who identify as Italian Americans or Irish Americans but were born in the US?

Whoever put negro on the census form is an idiot. Why are they an idiot? Well negro has long dark history just like other terms. Negro goes back to a time when it was okay to sit on the back of the bus, use seperate water fountains, or not be allowed at certain movie theaters. Wow some people are so clueless.

Old 01-07-2010, 11:52 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,663,920 times
I don't see how it's offensive. I think some people are being hypersensitive. "Negro" was the official term many years ago. I applaud the Census for using the word. The Census Bureau shouldn't concern itself with which words are the most trendy.

Old 01-07-2010, 11:54 AM

3,199 posts, read 4,316,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I don't see how it's offensive. I think some people are being hypersensitive. "Negro" was the official term many years ago. I applaud the Census for using the word. The Census Bureau shouldn't concern itself with which words are the most trendy.
I agree and while were at it, I would like gay to mean "happy" again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies