Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 09:21 AM

1,418 posts, read 3,454,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Choose sides!
disagree entirely, it would really be nice to have an option out there for a moderate. I am not a "liberal" nor am I a "conservative" and I really don't have one group that I agree entirely with. It's a shame when I have to choose only from the lesser of two evils.

In fact, if our founding fathers knew we only had two major political parties, they'd be spinning in their grave. At this point, any 3rd party added to the mix only splits the vote on one side or another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 09:38 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,218,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Interesting to see the full results from Gallup. Republicans are increasingly likely to call themselves "conservative", while Democrats are increasingly likely to call themselves "liberal". Moderates are dwindling. That's not a good sign, in my opinion.

I guess we can all look forward to more divisiveness in American politics in the years ahead.

Conservatives Finish 2009 as No. 1 Ideological Group
I started a thread about this and apparently rambled to much no one answered
My question is the last poll i say said 21 % of Americans said they were republican, while 40 % in this poll say they are conservative. who are the 19 % who do not claim to be a republican that claim to be conservative?

Old 01-08-2010, 09:54 AM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
"What can a moderate do?".

When you stand in the middle of the road, expect to get run over.

Old 01-08-2010, 09:56 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,323,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
I started a thread about this and apparently rambled to much no one answered
My question is the last poll i say said 21 % of Americans said they were republican, while 40 % in this poll say they are conservative. who are the 19 % who do not claim to be a republican that claim to be conservative?
Interesting point.

There are people like Hannity who claim to be a conservative but not republican, even though he votes that way.

The republican party ticked me off over the past few years, so I identify more with being labeled a conservative (although I am fiscally conservative and socially moderate). Stating one is a republican (or democrat) gives the impression that you support their ideology, agenda, and politics in government. Stating you are a conservative (or liberal), simply means you identify with that particular ideology, but doesn't say anything about how you might actually vote. I don't know for sure, but that's just the way I see it. Conservative = ideology, republican = political stance.

I think more people are hesitant to define themselves as a republican because the name has become tarnished recently. I would like to see the party rid itself of corruption and return to a more fiscally conservative stance.

Old 01-08-2010, 10:00 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,218,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Interesting point.

There are people like Hannity who claim to be a conservative but not republican, even though he votes that way.

The republican party ticked me off over the past few years, so I identify more with being labeled a conservative (although I am fiscally conservative and socially moderate). Stating one is a republican (or democrat) gives the impression that you support their ideology, agenda, and politics in government. Stating you are a conservative (or liberal), simply means you identify with that particular ideology, but doesn't say anything about how you might actually vote. I don't know for sure, but that's just the way I see it.

I think more people are hesitant to define themselves as a republican because the name has become tarnished recently. I would like to see the party rid itself of corruption and return to a more fiscally conservative stance.
I think corruption is on both sides and that is why we see fewer and fewer people saying they are democrats or republicans.

Old 01-08-2010, 10:12 AM

1,418 posts, read 3,454,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"What can a moderate do?".

When you stand in the middle of the road, expect to get run over.
I would prefer to be standing at a crossroads where I can go anyone of a few different directions, and my views will be respected. I hope you know that moderates are what swings elections these days, ya know? I should think you would want to be nice to us

Old 01-08-2010, 10:17 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,314,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geofra View Post
I agree. This is from the article...

The two parties are becoming (more??) radical. What can a moderate do?
Arm yourself.

Old 01-08-2010, 10:22 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,323,498 times
Quote:
I think corruption is on both sides and that is why we see fewer and fewer people saying they are democrats or republicans.
Agreed, for sure!

Old 01-08-2010, 10:36 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,929,539 times
Quote:
the Gallup poll has an interesting trend line that i will ask for peoples opinions about
the Poll shows 40% of the country labels themselves as conservative
36 % as moderate
21 % as liberal
Conservatives Finish 2009 as No. 1 Ideological Group

compare that to a poll that i saw but can not find a link to. if anyone has the poll feel free to post it.
What I recall was 22 % of people labeled themselves as republican
and 18% as Democrats.
Those Numbers are from memory and cold be wrong.

My questions:
1)who are the 18 % who label themselves conservative who would not be republican?

2) Are some of that 18 % Dem's?

3) how will this block vote?

my opinions

1) that 18 percent is 2/3 former republican 1/3 democrats

2) yes

3) On a national vote I think the vast majority would vote Republican if there are only the two major parties to choose from.
I think if there is a tea party ,they would vote with them.
I think there would be enough of them to win a couple of states and that would mean no one would have won the electoral college. that would through the election to the house where Bethe controlling parties candidate would win.

On local and state elections I think this group would vote against an incumbent, wanting a change in tone. i think there is enough of them to be effective in doing that.

IMHO
I have one question since this is about the 5th time I have seen this as a thread. Please explain how this matters one way of the other, since it has zero to do with how people vote.
Casper

Old 01-08-2010, 10:38 AM

6,183 posts, read 6,071,320 times
I really believe conservatives and Republicans are become less synonymous by the day
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies