Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2010, 12:32 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
How strange. I am calling out all those (how did you put that?) stupid jackasses that are so racist and bigoted that they see the name hussein as insulting and disrespectful.
How come you only call *this* president by his middle name?

Old 01-09-2010, 12:35 AM

11,449 posts, read 14,466,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
How come you only call *this* president by his middle name?
That's the thing. The poster can't even stand behind what they are doing. The put it out there, obviously as an inflammatory remark, and then when you call them on it, they play coy.

Old 01-09-2010, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
You misunderstand. They can be as obnoxiously disrespectful as they please. But don't intentionally be disrespectful and feign innocence! It's intentional. Own it. Don't pretend you mean no disrespect when you do mean disrespect. And everybody with more an one brain cell flopping around in an empty skull knows they mean disrespect.
Yes, you are either all in or you are not. OWN IT. Don't hide behind it and ask "What's the big deal?" That's like something a little kid would do.

But I have found, that in life, that is what most people who are prejudice also do. They know what they are doing is wrong, so they kinda put it out, with an escape clause if the heat comes too hard.

Old 01-09-2010, 12:41 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
Yes, you are either all in or you are not. OWN IT. Don't hide behind it and ask "What's the big deal?" That's like something a little kid would do.

But I have found, that in life, that is what most people who are prejudice also do. They know what they are doing is wrong, so they kinda put it out, with an escape clause if the heat comes too hard.
Did you ever notice that the RWers on here use that little icon ALL THE TIME?

They also like to pout that they cant speak their minds because of the PC-Nazis.

Old 01-09-2010, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Did you ever notice that the RWers on here use that little icon ALL THE TIME?

They also like to pout that they cant speak their minds because of the PC-Nazis.

Yea, they are so oppressed, kinda like the Christians are in this country.

But IMO you aren't born that way, you choose to be a republican, so the life of oppression is self inflicted.

Old 01-09-2010, 12:47 AM

Old 01-09-2010, 08:10 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovert View Post
A poster once wrote they were turned off by one of the threads I started because I referred to the Big O as Barry.

Since when did Barry become an insulting slur. That is the nickname people used for him as he was growing up.

Now I understand his opponents often use his middle name Hussein to inflame anti-Arab/Muslim and xenophobic sentiment.

Yes, it is used as a veiled way of saying that "boy" has no business being in the position he is in. But the fact of the matter is that IS HIS NAME. Its part of who he is.

People who cringe when they hear Hussein do say because they've been bombarded with negative imagery of radical Islamic terrorists, Kenyan births and a negro army and what not.

These are the very people that need to be bombarded with facts about our President. His name is Barack Hussein Obama. He sometimes goes by the nickname of Barry. This does not diminish him as an American citizen or as our President.
If HE prefers Barry, then it isn't a slur. I'm not even sure it's all that disrespectful. My given name is Timothy. I prefer to go by Tim, not Timothy, and definitely not Timmy. Robert Knight, a basketball coach, prefers to go by the name Bobby--that's his prerogative. But you know something, his players probably call him COACH Knight--to his face anyway. When someone who does not know me speaks to me or about me, I would prefer that they call me Mr. Kramar. Using my first name implies a familiarity which is not present.

Old 01-09-2010, 08:25 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,555,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
That's just retarded.
Well, you certainly give credence to your argument by not calling others names

Old 01-09-2010, 08:31 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,555,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Yes, it is absolutely meant as an insult. Anyone who claims otherwise is lying.

And it's nothing like calling Bush "Dubya". That is the nickname he grew up with. That's what people called him in Texas.
So in your opinion, calling Barry Goldwater "Barry" was an insult? Or are you lying?

Old 01-09-2010, 08:32 AM

3,100 posts, read 3,302,170 times
Who the hell uses someone's full name when referring to them? No one does that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies