Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2015, 04:01 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,414,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContrarianEcon View Post
File:Holocene Temperature Variations Rev.png - Global Warming Art And how many people died in the little ice age? You want to talk crop failure. Nothing like frost to make crops fail.
How many people would die if ice covered all of Canada and Russia's bread basket as well?

About ten in Canada. They would all head south at the first sign of trouble.

Old 03-07-2015, 04:04 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,624,662 times
Weren't conservatives denying it two and three years ago it had anything to do with global warming when much of the central part of the country two and three years ago, especially Texas, was having day after day of unbroken 100+ degree heat and drought as the summer went on?

Old 03-07-2015, 04:05 PM

33,524 posts, read 37,125,817 times
Quote:
File:Holocene Temperature Variations Rev.png - Global Warming Art And how many people died in the little ice age? You want to talk crop failure. Nothing like frost to make crops fail.
How many people would die if ice covered all of Canada and Russia's bread basket as well?
Eventually glaciation will happen, but in 7,000 to 10,000 years or more....It is inevitable, but dangerous warming is already beginning....I think I'll be more concerned with the danger on our door step rather than something that is thousands of years in the future.

Old 03-07-2015, 04:07 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,624,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
Good Lord... I can't believe we are still debating this. Over 99% of the Worlds climate scientists are telling us it's happening. The ONLY scientists that are saying otherwise work for oil companies.

If 99% of structural engineers told you that you shouldn't go into a building, would you go in anyway?

The climate change deniers are just embarrassing.
That's true. And some of the older scientists who denied for the tobacco companies that smoking cigarettes causes lung cancer are now denying global warming. And they have little or no education or specialty in climate science.

Old 03-07-2015, 04:07 PM

3,792 posts, read 2,383,791 times
Quote:
Good Lord... I can't believe we are still debating this. Over 99% of the Worlds climate scientists are telling us it's happening. The ONLY scientists that are saying otherwise work for oil companies.
But I'm not saying it isn't happening. I'm saying it is a good idea as it beats the alternative.
Quote:

If 99% of structural engineers told you that you shouldn't go into a building, would you go in anyway?
nope.
Quote:

The climate change deniers are just embarrassing.
Yes they are, they need to change their tune. They need to stop saying it isn't happening and start saying it is a good idea.

Old 03-07-2015, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Eventually glaciation will happen, but in 7,000 to 10,000 years or more....
You haven't read it out correctly. With the exception of the last 150 years or so. It has been happening. It is just a gradual expansion of glaciers and ice coverage. It will reach its full extent in 10,000 years. Unless you do something like dump a whole lot of fresh water in the North Atlantic, have some equatorial volcanic eruptions etc.
Quote:
It is inevitable, but dangerous warming is already beginning....I think I'll be more concerned with the danger on our door step rather than something that is thousands of years in the future.
How about what was 150 years in our past? And we stopped it. And you are arguing against us to continue to stop it.

Good one.

Old 03-07-2015, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Younger Dryas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

the same way the collapse of the north American ice sheet triggered the Younger Dryas.
Nobody knows what triggered the Younger Dryas....

Old 03-07-2015, 04:20 PM

Quote:
You haven't read it out correctly. With the exception of the last 150 years or so. It has been happening. It is just a gradual expansion of glaciers and ice coverage. It will reach its full extent in 10,000 years. Unless you do something like dump a whole lot of fresh water in the North Atlantic, have some equatorial volcanic eruptions etc.
How about what was 150 years in our past? And we stopped it. And you are arguing against us to continue to stop it.

Good one.
LOL.....Are you really trying to tell me that glaciers and ice are expanding?

Old 03-07-2015, 04:21 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,379,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
That's true. And some of the older scientists who denied for the tobacco companies that smoking cigarettes causes lung cancer are now denying global warming. And they have little or no education or specialty in climate science.

Why Merchants of Doubt Rhymes with Smokey Joe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dj0PYdl99tI&t=147

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_6gT3jMDqk

Same tactics and even some of the same people.

Old 03-07-2015, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Nobody knows what triggered the Younger Dryas....

There was a link to a book that I can't find now. It talked about the effects of a bit of lower salinity water running around the north Atlantic in about 1969. Where the low salinity water went so did colder weather.

The collapse of the Greenland ice sheet should do that on a larger scale.

I do believe it was you that linked to a book by someone named Lamb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies