Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 01:57 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,954,972 times

Advertisements

Texas has over 1,400 homicides a year - or 167 per month. A "monthly decline of between 0.5 to 2.5" is statistically significant? I doubt it. Texas has so many executions that they barely make the news - and hence are unlikely to have any impact on homicide rates.

Whether someone commits homicide has more to do with "will I get caught?" than it does with "if I get caught will I be executed or spend the rest of my life in jail?"

The lowest homicide rates are found in states with no death penalty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 01:59 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
[quote=wjtwet;12353322]I
How do you get a do-over for life in prison? How do you give those years back? How do you unspeak a word or untarnish a reputation?

The 'undoability' of the act is not sufficient reason to get rid of these scumbags who serve no useful purpose on this earth and do not deserve to live on the taxpayer's dime.

Old 01-08-2010, 03:34 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,436,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortified View Post
do not worry people, this administration already has plans underway to not prosecute deadly criminals anymore anyway, Rahm has already said that they are looking at other ways. I wonder what those other ways are. Probably means that he will get them a govt. job in the WH or something.
I kind of wonder what those other ways are myself!

Old 01-08-2010, 03:45 PM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
Texas has over 1,400 homicides a year - or 167 per month. A "monthly decline of between 0.5 to 2.5" is statistically significant? I doubt it. Texas has so many executions that they barely make the news - and hence are unlikely to have any impact on homicide rates.
better take it up with the authors. they found there was indeed an impact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4
The 'undoability' of the act is not sufficient reason to get rid of these scumbags who serve no useful purpose on this earth and do not deserve to live on the taxpayer's dime.

Old 01-08-2010, 03:47 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,218,480 times
[quote=stan4;12358342]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
I
How do you get a do-over for life in prison? How do you give those years back? How do you unspeak a word or untarnish a reputation?

killing does not solve killing unless it is self defense. You want to ignore the fact you might execute an innocent person.

Old 01-08-2010, 03:49 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,954,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
..who serve no useful purpose on this earth and do not deserve to live on the taxpayer's dime.
It costs more taxpayer dimes to execute than it does to incarcerate.

Old 01-08-2010, 04:09 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,253,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
Study says Texas death penalty a homicide deterrent | Houston & Texas News | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/6802314.html - broken link)
As long as that penalty is used it has to be assessed much more often than it is. If it is used properly it will result in cutting down murders. My state has the penalty but never assesses it so it doesn't do any good. Texas assesses it but not often enough to make it really work. At least you are taking a chance in Texas and that holds some back.

Old 01-08-2010, 04:13 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,218,480 times
Default It ha sbeen an interesting day

I have the right on my case in the death penalty thread and the left on my case in the abortion thread.
have had great discussions in other threads.
Guess my life is in balance.

Old 01-08-2010, 04:19 PM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
"It costs more taxpayer dimes to execute than it does to incarcerate."

Only because of the endless appeals that are allowed.

If it is a cut a dried case, the appeals process needs to be revised. hence , lower costs.

Old 01-08-2010, 04:45 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,929,539 times
While I do agree with the death penalty in principle, some men just need killin, Hey I live in Texas. Problem with the death penalty is that it is not evenly handed out, meaning those with more money can afford better lawyers and can often plead down to a lesser crime and sentence, and some that are less wealthy may lose their case due to the lack of quality representation even though they might not be sent to death row had they had better lawyers. There there is also the problem of sentencing someone that is innocent of the crime to die for something they did not do, we sentence innocent people to prison all the time, which if identifed later can be released, death is a one way street. All that said, I am in favor of the death penalty, I would just like to see some reforms to the system before continuing down this road.
As for the death penalty preventing crimes, I have serious doubts about that, it will end their crimes but I seriously doubt many of those that commit crimes worthy of the death penalty could care less that they face such a sentence. Keep in mind most people that do such things rarely believe they will get caught or in some cases do not care at the time they commit the crime.
Casper
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies